BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-22-2022, 06:56 AM   #1
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Trunk "convenient entry" (kicking underside the car)?

Is there some sort of hidden feature or setting for the keys, how those react for the kicking the trunk open.

When using my Display Key ... A kick under the rear bumper won't open the trunk after car has been sitting over night or such. After I'll drive the car, kick works 9 times out of 10. No matter where or how I hold the Display Key. If I drive the car, park it for like grocery store visit and arrive back to the car, kick works again 9 times out of 10. After this I can open / close the trunk as many times as I like via the kick move.

With the normal keys (2 of them) both will react to the kick instantly and trunk will open no matter how long car has sat unused. No matter if I unlock the car or just walk behind it and kick the underside.

Does the "close & lock" in the trunk button somehow affect how will the trunk open next time? Or does the "convenient entry" (grabbing door handle / closing car via the door handle grooved surface) affect this somehow? Or opening the trunk via the button of the key? Or do I have to somehow program the Display Key for my 1st key? This seems weird because when I set up my incar BMW profile, I had Display Key on me. I clearly recall this as I bought the car 3 moths ago.

Is there any way to "reset" the system or the Display Key? I'm the only user of the car but I've used both keys (Display and normal) from time to time, randomly. But I'd prefer the Display Key.

And the underside sensors must be clean as they work with the normal keys.

Any advice would be nice, TY.

Last edited by billy.gif; 04-22-2022 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.gif View Post
Is there some sort of hidden feature or setting for the keys, how those react for the kicking the trunk open.

When using my Display Key ... A kick under the rear bumper won't open the trunk after car has been sitting over night or such. After I'll drive the car, kick works 9 times out of 10. No matter where or how I hold the Display Key. If I drive the car, park it for like grocery store visit and arrive back to the car, kick works again 9 times out of 10. After this I can open / close the trunk as many times as I like via the kick move.

With the normal keys (2 of them) both will react to the kick instantly and trunk will open no matter how long car has sat unused. No matter if I unlock the car or just walk behind it and kick the underside.

Does the "close & lock" in the trunk button somehow affect how will the trunk open next time? Or does the "convenient entry" (grabbing door handle / closing car via the door handle grooved surface) affect this somehow? Or opening the trunk via the button of the key? Or do I have to somehow program the Display Key for my 1st key? This seems weird because when I set up my incar BMW profile, I had Display Key on me. I clearly recall this as I bought the car 3 moths ago.

Is there any way to "reset" the system or the Display Key? I'm the only user of the car but I've used both keys (Display and normal) from time to time, randomly. But I'd prefer the Display Key.

And the underside sensors must be clean as they work with the normal keys.

Any advice would be nice, TY.
I think the key you are using makes no difference.

I had a hard time getting it to be consistent for me as well. I figured out you need to kick to one side or the other of the rear bumper. ..the closer to kicking your leg right under the round parking sensor on the bumper, the better. That sensor is picking up the kick motion.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I concur, it shouldn't matter which key you use.

All I can suggest is to replace the battery in the key (I think the display key still has a real coin battery in addition to the rechargeable one).
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 02:15 PM   #4
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

90% hit rate is pretty good. Its only the placement of your foot and proximity of the key. About the same hit rate for my 5 Series as for my 7. I think that's normal. When it doesn't work the second or third kick usually resolves it. I "wave" my foot left to right to get best results.
      04-23-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I concur, it shouldn't matter which key you use.

All I can suggest is to replace the battery in the key (I think the display key still has a real coin battery in addition to the rechargeable one).
Actually there is not a normal coin battery inside the display key. Only a rechargeable, kind of old mobile phone (Nokia etc.) type of battery:

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 05:45 AM   #6
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
90% hit rate is pretty good. Its only the placement of your foot and proximity of the key. About the same hit rate for my 5 Series as for my 7. I think that's normal. When it doesn't work the second or third kick usually resolves it. I "wave" my foot left to right to get best results.
Thanks all for the inputs here.

I've tried to kick several different places under the trunk and multiple times. Normal keys works more than 9 times out of 10.

Display Key works every single time IF I drive the car first. After night or even a work day long sitting the car simply wont open the trunk with a kick. And no matter how I kick, where I kick or even how long I stand next to the car. So far I've stood like 3 whole minutes inside the "key recognition proximity" and then kicked - nothing happens.

I forgot to mention in my original post: IF I unlock the car via the physical Display Key button and then use the kick method to open the trunk - it opens. But it takes the "usability" away (sorry my poor English btw.), to be able to open the boot with both hands occupied. Or to have the key "just with you" somewhere in the pockets or anything like that. I feel kind of annoyed when I have to look for the physical key, press a physical button and presto - only then doors are unlocked or trunk lid will open.

Sorry my rambling but this feels so strange. I wish there would be a way to reset the programmed key(s) or such.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #7
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.gif View Post
Thanks all for the inputs here.

I've tried to kick several different places under the trunk and multiple times. Normal keys works more than 9 times out of 10.

Display Key works every single time IF I drive the car first. After night or even a work day long sitting the car simply wont open the trunk with a kick. And no matter how I kick, where I kick or even how long I stand next to the car. So far I've stood like 3 whole minutes inside the "key recognition proximity" and then kicked - nothing happens.

I forgot to mention in my original post: IF I unlock the car via the physical Display Key button and then use the kick method to open the trunk - it opens. But it takes the "usability" away (sorry my poor English btw.), to be able to open the boot with both hands occupied. Or to have the key "just with you" somewhere in the pockets or anything like that. I feel kind of annoyed when I have to look for the physical key, press a physical button and presto - only then doors are unlocked or trunk lid will open.

Sorry my rambling but this feels so strange. I wish there would be a way to reset the programmed key(s) or such.
your English is great, bro. And you sound like me rambling. I used to test software for a living, so, your documentation of the issue is fine.

I have a display key, I use it for entertainment purposes only. (show friends remote park). I'll see if I can try to reproduce your remote key limitations. I could imagine it might be an issue. Meanwhile, contact a BMW genius and tell them your issue. Might be a known TSB.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
mws
Private First Class
Rep

I gave it a try with my Display key. I even verified it this morning, after 24 hours. the regular key fob was on the far side of the house. Too far away to influence this result.

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 04:22 PM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Having had a few with this feature, it's a kick (a short in and out flick) not a waggle or a wave of your foot, works every time.
      04-29-2022, 10:37 PM   #10
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Wills2,
Kyiv?
Man, please stay safe, brother!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 05:08 PM   #11
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
Wills2,
Kyiv?
Man, please stay safe, brother!
Thanks but I'm just virtue signalling my support for them from the safety of a wet and cold rock on the edge of the Atlantic.