BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-06-2024, 02:36 PM   #1
gramezza
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i

Fuel economy - yes, really

I didn't buy my car for the fuel economy. Far from it, I took a calculated risk. Smiles Per Gallon as opposed to Miles Per Gallon, as they say.

But f*ck me, I was expecting more than 12mpg to/from work.

Any tips? (ie when to use sport / comfort / adaptive / eco etc)?

I've done a search online but many tips around the driving modes are specific to different models, fuel types, nature of journey and even country. For what it's worth my longest journey is about 7 miles each way for work, in 30mph roads (with occasional traffic), in the UK in my 750i.

And like I said, I wasn't expecting miracles, but expected better, hence me asking.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 07:50 PM   #2
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramezza View Post
I didn't buy my car for the fuel economy. Far from it, I took a calculated risk. Smiles Per Gallon as opposed to Miles Per Gallon, as they say.

I've done a search online but many tips around the driving modes are specific to different models, fuel types, nature of journey and even country. For what it's worth my longest journey is about 7 miles each way for work, in 30mph roads (with occasional traffic), in the UK in my 750i.

And like I said, I wasn't expecting miracles, but expected better, hence me asking.
Man it's just tough to get more mpg in short trips. Maybe taking it easy on the throttle esp when accelerating should help - if you can resist the urge, that is.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 08:54 PM   #3
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Biggest gains can be made by proper use of coasting. From my observation, most people suck at coasting and just dump kinetic energy into the brakes.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 11:01 AM   #4
JustJosh
Not dead yet
Rep
Drives: '16 750i xDrive

That's about 10mpg in the US. I average about 17 in the US and I thought mine was bad. My average speed is about 35. Yours may be lower. The info is the iDrive. I averaged about 22mpg on a very long trip over 500 miles averaging a bit over 70mph and that's after a fresh oil change, new plugs and coil packs.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:51 PM   #5
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

I might as well add to this thread.

My '18 G12 get's 9 MPG in it's daily 6 mile round trip commute, but I've achieved 28 MPG on long commuted up and down the California coast (lots of ups and down roads).

ECO mode does not seem to help by any measurable means, but it's such a depressing feature. The vehicle's under performance for absolutely no gain (in MPG), instantly removes the smile-per-mile.

I'd be thrilled with 12 MPG city.....really!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2024, 03:58 PM   #6
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

Quote:

With the type of driving you're doing, it sounds like you don't get to steady state operating temps or cruising speeds...and that's going to be hard to overcome. Still, you should be able to bump that up to the mid teens with a few basic things you can control.

Obviously try not to drive like a lead foot all the time.

If you're letting the car idle excessively, consider not doing that.

Better anticipate need for braking/accelerating/coasting...you want to avoid the harsh inputs. If you need to game-ify it, keep the live mpg meter displayed with your gauges, and try to keep it above the line marking your current average, especially once up to speed after a stop.

And I would forget about the drive modes and leave it in regular comfort during your commute. There is maybe a little to be gained from Eco, but for me that's a bigger difference on the highway and hilly roads. Sport will give you the best acceleration and worst mpg.

And if that doesn't work, mash the gas and smile
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 07:26 PM   #7
gramezza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Biggest gains can be made by proper use of coasting. From my observation, most people suck at coasting and just dump kinetic energy into the brakes.
It's a great feeling seeing your range increase while coasting, I admit. When I'm approaching a bit in the road which is downhill I tend to make sure it's in eco mode so it coasts and gives me the maximum gains.

Would this be the most effective way to do it?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 07:30 PM   #8
gramezza
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
I might as well add to this thread.

My '18 G12 get's 9 MPG in it's daily 6 mile round trip commute, but I've achieved 28 MPG on long commuted up and down the California coast (lots of ups and down roads).

ECO mode does not seem to help by any measurable means, but it's such a depressing feature. The vehicle's under performance for absolutely no gain (in MPG), instantly removes the smile-per-mile.

I'd be thrilled with 12 MPG city.....really!
I'm guessing yours is the long wheel base, and thats why your MPG is even worse?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 09:26 PM   #9
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
It's a great feeling seeing your range increase while coasting, I admit. When I'm approaching a bit in the road which is downhill I tend to make sure it's in eco mode so it coasts and gives me the maximum gains.

Would this be the most effective way to do it?
In theory, yes. In practice it can be tricky to achieve. In Adaptive, Comfort, Sport modes you will get coasting with overrun. This means that fuel injection and ignition are cut and engine is being turned by driven wheels. In Eco Pro mode, traditional overrun coasting is replaced by freewheeling when you let go of the throttle pedal above speed ~48kmh/30mph. This will disconnect the transmission which effectively puts car into neutral until speed drops to 40kmh/25mph - it will then resume traditional overrun coasting. Benefit of this is that you will roll a lot further because engine is disconnected from driven wheels, thus not producing any driveline braking. Downfall is that engine is no longer driven by the wheels so it is kept at idling speed by fuel injection.

Why I say that gains can be difficult to achieve in practice is that this kind of freewheeling needs good situational awareness to execute your coasting runs effectively. You will need ample clear space ahead and properly calculated gradient and road condition response because your coasting run will be a lot longer, even gaining speed on slight downhill roads. If you are unable to properly freewheel down to 40kmh/25mph, then it's mostly more efficient to coast in overdrive where engine braking generates predictive and higher deceleration, all while cutting fuel injection to engine. Some people also find sensation of being out of gear a bit unsettling.

If you can properly implement freewheeling and not cut it prematurely by brake pedal then it most certainly is most effective way to coast. If not, then Eco Pro mode has many other facilities within it as well to reduce fuel consumption and freewheeling can be disabled at will in Individual configuration. During those days where I feel lethargic, I really like the slow, smooth and linear power delivery of Eco Pro mode.

Last edited by Raimo5; 03-08-2024 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2024, 03:23 AM   #10
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

In the U.K., for those short trips and roads, you won’t have much to gain. What’s the benefit of an extra couple of MPG?

It’s a big heavy car, so smoothing out the braking and acceleration helps. Driving around in lockdown showed that.

I’ll use eco pro if there’s a fuel strike and I’m getting low, but not otherwise. I stick with the rubbish adaptive mode most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #11
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:

There is a function or mode in your iDrive that is called "EfficientDynamics" that allows you to assess your driving modes, styles and location (sort of) to your MPG.

The 1st figure below is of the G12 "EfficientDynamics" mode, 3D, a little harder to read, since it uses 1/2 the screen to show the vehicle. My G12 is only used for 3 mile stints, so the bar graph reflects terrible MPG (9.5MPG)

The 2nd figure below is of the F10 "EfficientDynamics" mode, 2D, that I use constantly that helps provide the helpful info regarding what is influencing my MPG in 1 minute MPG Average snapshots. The tall bar graph is coasting down the hill in "N" & "Comfort". I don't try and get the highest MPG, and I drive to drive, but use this info, live, to know.

While it provides "average" MPG over 1 minute increments, it does help with driving dynamics to MPG.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 05:20 PM   #12
OCRick82
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i

The gorgeous sounding exhaust of my 750Li prevents me from getting better gas mileage 🤣 99% of the time I’m in comfort+,rarely in sport mode.

It’s like a drug.

I get between 12-15mpg but that’s mostly because I drive around town. I even considered getting a beater to use for the purpose of errands.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:52 PM   #13
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRick82 View Post
... I even considered getting a beater to use for the purpose of errands.
2nd photo in post #11 is from my beater for errands...but with an N55, it still is not driven for high MPG either....300HP allows it get up and go between stop lights
Appreciate 0