BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-31-2022, 04:07 PM   #1
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

2018 7, the Qi (wireless charger) in center console stops charging

Anyone else see this issue?

Anyone know of a workaround.

use to work--made my phone plenty hot. recently stopped being reliable. Does this on two separate iPhones, both with no plastic case on them.

yes, I know there are aftermarket solutions. I am loathe to cover up the nice cubby in front of the drink holders. It gets a lot of use.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 11:42 AM   #2
Bagum4uK
M Driver
Latvia
Rep
Drives: G11 750d , M5 F90 , C650 SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post

Anyone else see this issue?

Anyone know of a workaround.

use to work--made my phone plenty hot. recently stopped being reliable. Does this on two separate iPhones, both with no plastic case on them.

yes, I know there are aftermarket solutions. I am loathe to cover up the nice cubby in front of the drink holders. It gets a lot of use.
It's no difference if it's located in front or in armrest! Phone always hot…

I recently replaced this charger as have the same issue on my wife's car too. Have them in stock if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Stop me if I'm just being silly but... why not just use a cable?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagum4uK View Post

I recently replaced this charger as have the same issue on my wife's car too. Have them in stock if you're interested
Is it worth seeing if the fuse is blown?I had the hot phone problem on my '17 with the charger in the center armrest but not in the '20 with front charger. the hote phone issues also disappeared when I upgraded my iphone. Now using a iphone 13 pro and it does not heat up. FWIW I have an aftermarket front tray charger in a '19 X3 that works but is very finicky about phone placement for charging.

Otherwise, I would agree with the post to just plug it in. My wife's MB has a tray charger but will not do Carplay wirelessly so we've been plugging in there -- its like the good ol days and it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 06:51 PM   #5
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Stop me if I'm just being silly but... why not just use a cable?
I do, when I need to charge, but--- c'mon, man!! messy and inelegant. . wires all over the place. I am trying to get away from it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #6
mws
Private First Class
Rep

I think people are not watching the video. My comment "use to work--made my phone plenty hot...."

is not the point of this question or the video. I am just talking out loud.

This part "is" the problem: " (it) recently stopped being reliable. "

if you watch the video you can see it start to charge, like normal, then stop charging after several seconds. "That" is the problem. It stops charging.

If there were a bad fuse, the fact it starts to charge, then stops... it is difficult to imagine the charger would work at all. No blue light, no red light and it would not charge the phone for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 07:24 PM   #7
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
you replaced it in the armrest, or you used a different wireless charger in a different location? with what did you replace it? do you have a picture, please?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 05:14 AM   #8
Bagum4uK
M Driver
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you replaced it in the armrest, or you used a different wireless charger in a different location? with what did you replace it? do you have a picture, please?
Replaced in armrest to the similar charger! I have the same issue as you, got phone hot and red led appears
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 05:17 AM   #9
Bagum4uK
M Driver
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Quote:

Is it worth seeing if the fuse is blown?I had the hot phone problem on my '17 with the charger in the center armrest but not in the '20 with front charger. the hote phone issues also disappeared when I upgraded my iphone. Now using a iphone 13 pro and it does not heat up. FWIW I have an aftermarket front tray charger in a '19 X3 that works but is very finicky about phone placement for charging.

Otherwise, I would agree with the post to just plug it in. My wife's MB has a tray charger but will not do Carplay wirelessly so we've been plugging in there -- its like the good ol days and it works.
I don't see reason in charger location (front or armrest). Problem is the same, phone is hot anyway in both places.

In my wife's G11 I already replaced that charger before in armrest. I'm driving with F90 (wireless charger is in front), problem the same - phone goes hot within 1hr in that qi charger place
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 07:40 AM   #10
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't see reason in charger location (front or armrest). Problem is the same, phone is hot anyway in both places.

In my wife's G11 I already replaced that charger before in armrest. I'm driving with F90 (wireless charger is in front), problem the same - phone goes hot within 1hr in that qi charger place
We should survey on this to see whether phone type matters. As I noted I had overheating with earlier iPhones (it was either iPhone 8 or iPhone X), but have had no overheating with iPhone 12 or 13. No experience here with Android.
I also had issues with the armrest pocket but not the front tray. From the OP's description, he has a defective part. If it is an '18 it may still be under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #11
Bagum4uK
M Driver
Latvia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Quote:

We should survey on this to see whether phone type matters. As I noted I had overheating with earlier iPhones (it was either iPhone 8 or iPhone X), but have had no overheating with iPhone 12 or 13. No experience here with Android.
I also had issues with the armrest pocket but not the front tray. From the OP's description, he has a defective part. If it is an '18 it may still be under warranty.
13 Pro, the same! Yes, it's not that hot as before on old models, but anyway! The same phone I charge phone with wireless charger on the night, it's never is hot as in car!

So I missed about this function, because many years in G11 i missed my Vertu phone after this overheat
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 07:24 PM   #12
mws
Private First Class
Rep

OK yeah, I will probably just need to replace the charger in the armrest. I am still under warranty for maybe a couple of months, but I flashed my ECU and my service rep says he thinks that will void my warranty. Oh well.

As for the heat, any Qi charger is going to make a phone hotter than a lightning cable. I would not change out the charger because of heat. Heat just means it is doing it's job.

Qi charging Blog
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 03:02 AM   #13
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

That doesn’t sound right. I can understand it being a bit of achallenge if there is an issue in the ECU, or in something that the ECU mod has stressed out of OEM tolerance, but how can an ECU flash affect the operation of the phone charger. I think I would be challenging this in the strongest terms.
      04-03-2022, 02:12 PM   #14
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

13pro max charges fine in case in my 2017. I do have to fiddle with the position a little bit though. Frankly the battery is so amazing in these phones that I mostly just leave it in my pocket for wireless CarPlay.
      04-06-2022, 06:21 PM   #15
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
That doesn’t sound right. I can understand it being a bit of achallenge if there is an issue in the ECU, or in something that the ECU mod has stressed out of OEM tolerance, but how can an ECU flash affect the operation of the phone charger. I think I would be challenging this in the strongest terms.
I agree and I am making that case with my service manager who says it is up to the Godds of BMW™ as to whether they honor the warranty.

The replacement is only $250 US but the problem is: a customer-paid diagnostic visit with loaner car is ALSO $250, so-- if I pay out of pocket-- it is $500 installed.

If I go in and they decide that I must I pay out of pocket, and I decide to take my car home and not replace it, I pay $250 for the visit, anyway. I think I will go for it, and try to make the case for the warranty replacement. I have the appointment the morning of April 7 (2022), so, tomorrow.

Here is the latest development in me trying to isolate the issue. Seems like the clip spring has become weak.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #16
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK yeah, I will probably just need to replace the charger in the armrest. I am still under warranty for maybe a couple of months, but I flashed my ECU and my service rep says he thinks that will void my warranty. Oh well.

As for the heat, any Qi charger is going to make a phone hotter than a lightning cable. I would not change out the charger because of heat. Heat just means it is doing it's job.

Qi charging Blog
Legally, flashing your chip does not void the entire car warranty. Though it probably means they would not repair engine issues, there is no connection between an electrical problem in the cabin and a flashed chip -- and they'd have to establish that connection to avoid a warranty repair. A good SA would handle this without dusting you off. You should not have to argue about this. Just quietly but firmly insist that they cover it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #17
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the encouragement, I did ask for them to ignore the fact they did find the flag for the engine ECU flash and repair the charger anyway and they are going to replace it under warranty.

After it is out of warranty, I do have two Indy shops I can take it to, if I cannot do the work myself. One is ex-BMW trained mechanics (Silicon Valley Bimmer), the other shop is closer to me, and just good ASE-certified guys I trust. They are so good, they did a 100k rod-bearing replacement on the V10 M6, which I then supercharged, and I sold late last year. Ran great for another 30k miles before I sold it.

Last edited by mws; 04-07-2022 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 08:52 AM   #18
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and tips. I did get the front center console Qi wireless charger replaced, under warranty, by the BMW dealer. My car is now going out of warranty, on 5/31/2021, so this is likely the last warranty repair I will get.

So far, the red light issue in the video is fixed. Even if I use my fairly thick plastic cover, it charges and stays charging. Also does not require moving the device around and trying to find the perfect position. This is great!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 12:39 PM   #19
mws
Private First Class
Rep

updating this post with video

a shout out to ANTWAN229, who pointed out the BWM display key also works in the charging slot. Bonus!!

If you look at the parts list for BMW and the wireless charger, there are a bunch of part numbers. Also a bunch that END in 2018. My car was built in late 2017. iPhone 12 Pro came out October, 23, 2020.. Iphone Pro 11 came out September 2019. iPhone X in November 2017. Maybe BMW figured out they needed to adjust the part for more modern phones? Very possible. Someone at Apple would have been testing the camera-bump iPhones on their BMW test-cars before the phones shipped.

Or, they just figured out the pre-2018 ones were less reliable and went to a superseding part. I know KK22 said they are having zero problems with iPhone 13.
Appreciate 0