BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-26-2022, 07:38 PM   #23
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
Chiming in to say that after considering one for a couple years, I finally pulled the trigger on an '18 M760 this past weekend, every option except for NV - wish it had it, but not necessary. Maybe a future retrofit...

It's Frozen Dark Brown Metallic/Tartufo...a combo I had never seen until 3 in this spec came up for sale all within a few week's time, at various places around the country. Almost always, I see the frozen brown cars with the smoke white or caramel interiors...was always hopeful that one just like this existed somewhere in the wild. Surprised that 3 do, to be honest.

For me, the general guidelines were "most/all options, Tartufo interior, interesting paint color" - I can't stand black/black, black/white, white/black, or any other common/boring (no offense) color combinations. Seems most in the US are very well optioned, few are lightly optioned but you do see the occasional car that has a head-scratching omission here or there.

Another thing I was firm on (but due to rarity, didn't really have to worry about) - no full executive lounge rear seat package. I'm buying the car to drive, not to be driven in. I don't really like the way the rear center console looks, and I'm not interested in nuking most of the luxury functionality of the front passenger seat just for a rear seat party trick that will get used maybe 5 times at most for the duration of my ownership. Almost all of the time, it will be either me or me and one other person in the car, with occasional passengers in the rear. They will have to slum it without the center console tables and footrest.

Very excited to pick it up, hopefully this weekend. The first time I drove it, I knew I had to have it. It was exactly as good as I hoped it would be, maybe even better. I too was waiting for facelift S65s to come down, but that's seemingly never happening. And the pre-facelift cars are still ridiculous expensive, and are all-around inferior cars to the M760, despite how cool they are. Have always wanted a V12 AMG but will have to scratch that itch at a later time. For now I think the M760i might be one of the best all-around cars on sale today, shame it won't be much longer.
I remember the first time I saw the M760 in Frozen Brown. I loved it. Great color! I owned a 2019 Azurite Black 760 and loved driving it, but my lease was up. I think it is being offered for $89,000 now. I miss the hell out of it. You are really going to enjoy it!
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      04-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #24
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Is this second one an indv. paint option?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6...paign=atempest

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...paign=atempest

Those are the two that seems best in class right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #25
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Awesome! Thanks for chiming in -- may I ask which resource you used in searching for your ind. spec'd m760?

I have been scouring the internet for these m760, but no luck. I really like this frozen grey with red interior out in VA. Good miles, perhaps all the options except NV, and I am with you 100% -- I do not need the rear executive lounge. Prefer fitting three/four pppl in the back vs. only 2.

Any mods scheduled? Let's see some pics of all of your m760's as well!!
I almost always use Autotrader. I will check Ebay from time to time but these days the selection is small there. I have a saved search set up on Autotrader so it's easy to quickly check.

No mods at the moment, mostly just want to make sure I get it as close to perfect as possible...needs a good solid detail inside and out, plus it's missing the display key it came with so I'll need to replace that. Might do an ECU tune at some point once I get bored with the power...which might take quite a while. Will definitely post photos once I have it in my possession.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #26
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Is this second one an indv. paint option?

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6...paign=atempest

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/e...paign=atempest

Those are the two that seems best in class right now.
if you want to know if the car is Individual, or Merino leather, or a special "press car", or verify the options, as we discussed.... then it is time to try mdecoder.com, or if you run a bunch of VINs, pay for outvin,com, their pay version, (I bought 150 VIN decodes, I am only half thru them)

mdecoder will tell you more than you want to know about the car, for free.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #27
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

I used Mdecoder a lot during my search. It was the only way to actually figure out what options were truly on the cars I was looking at, so much inconsistency in the listings on various websites. I found a PDF document that was a sales order form used by the dealers, it's what they use to figure out options and pricing when building an order, you can use that to figure out what comes in specific packages.

I had a set of criteria of "must haves" and "wants". some of these options were rare combinations so I had to search for a long time. I spent 1-2 hours a day for probably 2 months before I had a system down. I used this system daily to keep track of market conditions and find trends. I used Cars.com, autotrader, and edmunds for my primary searches, and when bored or no new inventory, I'd dig in kbb and carfax. I often found stuff on kbb and carfax that the others didn't list, so it was useful.

My criteria, must be :
Under 30K miles
Under $100K
Exterior :black, or individual. White/silver was an acceptable possibility.
Interior : black. Cashmere was an acceptable possibility.
Drive assist
luxury rear seating
B&W sound
rear seat entertainment
Sky lounge
working rear seat tablet (many are missing theirs)
remote park with all 3 keys (many are missing one or more key-fobs)

Like to have :
merino leather
Night vision
CPO

shall not have:
executive lounge
satin paint finish

I created a spreadsheet to track cars with their options and features with prices, etc. That make it way easier to do an objective review of the facts/data.

I was able to find a few that fit all these (nationwide search), and one that was exactly what I wanted after waiting for their prices to drop. This was a 4 month process start to finnish.

Things I learned from this process:
Some dealers don't know what they have (options not described/listed) and they will undervalue their cars. Many salesmen know absolutely nothing about these cars or their options.

almost every car I tracked sold for 10% less than their initial listing, most I'd say sold at 15-18% off. I don't think a single one sold for KBB fair market value.

most cars sat on the lot for 4 or more months, some up to a year. Carfax can be used to figure out how long they have had it, and several were traded dealer, to dealer, to dealer, or sold at auctions with no real owner for more than a year.

If you find what you want and they just got it and are asking KBB market price, it's unlikely to sell quickly, you can probably wait for their price to drop. This can be tracked on edmunds (prior price drops). I did this with the one I bought, saved about $11,000, but I had to wait 3 months for them to want to liquidate it.

I ended up with all my must haves and all my wants, <20K miles, CPO, and $184K MSRP, for $92K
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #28
mws
Private First Class
Rep

I agree completely with chad86tsi's use of mdecoder, and how dealers cannot possibly know all the options on a car, and also, a spreadsheet, if you are tracking a lot of cars. I hope you and I are not looking for the same thing at the same time. I don't like competent competition. :-P

and will just add: I use ALL online shopping methods available, to widen the net. Autotempest, Autotrader, Cargurus, BMWUSA. Ebay, Craigslist, this forum, and Bimmerfest. I even start to find duplicate postings of certain cars on say, CarGurus and Autotrader at the same time.

one question tho: if a car ticks all your boxes, but the price seems a bit high, do you call them up and negotiate? I certainly do. I do observe cars over time, and watch pricing trends, but that is usually with ones I am less interested in. I use that info as leverage over a dealer that just came on the market with one that ticks all the boxes. The dealers will know, and if they are not a prick, will likely work with me. I have lost a couple from playing hardball. One was an orange Jag F-type. (never mess with someone selling a special color like that, it was priced $3k higher than blue, I tried to wait them out, and it was gone in a day).

Sometimes I see one that is just priced right, just came on, and they obviously want it to move. I just call them up ASAP and make the deal, offer them asking, no quibbling, and see if there is anything else in it for me, like a spare key, replace the tires, etc.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00
      05-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #29
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post

one question tho: if a car ticks all your boxes, but the price seems a bit high, do you call them up and negotiate? I certainly do. I do observe cars over time, and watch pricing trends, but that is usually with ones I am less interested in. I use that info as leverage over a dealer that just came on the market with one that ticks all the boxes. The dealers will know, and if they are not a prick, will likely work with me. I have lost a couple from playing hardball. One was an orange Jag F-type. (never mess with someone selling a special color like that, it was priced $3k higher than blue, I tried to wait them out, and it was gone in a day).

Sometimes I see one that is just priced right, just came on, and they obviously want it to move. I just call them up ASAP and make the deal, offer them asking, no quibbling, and see if there is anything else in it for me, like a spare key, replace the tires, etc.
In the 3 months I hit this hard, and the 2 since where I still look out of morbid curiosity, I have not seen one sold in a day, or even a week, even when priced right.

The one I got I waited a month before I reached out after finding it. They were too high and I was pretty sure it would sit at their price. It sat at the price for a month, then dropped about 5K, then sat for several more weeks before I made my first contact via their generic "ask the dealer a question" email. I offered a "low ball" in their eyes, but my price was on par with another that was only ~500 miles away and similarly equipped, so I did have a basis if they asked me to justify my offer. They didn't even respond. A few days went by and got the automated "did your question get answered?" and I replied back with "no". The individual that fielded my inquiry basically cold shouldered me and said it was a good price, and would not be lowering it, no opening for debate. I still had eyes on that other that I was price comparing to so I just let it sit. 2 weeks later I finalized my decision that I would not want that full center console that the other had, so it was off my list. I contacted the dealer again through the same "ask the dealer a question" from a different email address and landed on a different sales person. He was willing to "take my lower offer to the manager", and came back with a counter offer number that was acceptable. It was ~4K less than the other guy that wouldn't even entertain negotiating. The car had been on their lot over 3 months at that point. Sometimes it's not the dealer, it's the sales person themselves. Go over their head, or around them. The first guy wouldn't even ask, the other did and got a sale, and me a car I wanted.

Time is most likely on your side. The longer it sits, the more that car costs them. If they have had it for more than a month, it will need a good sized price cut to move. Carfax will tell you how long it has sat. Let them know you know if that becomes part of the discussion, and that you know these don't sell fast.

50% of MSRP at the 3 year mark seems to be *actual final average actual sales price, assuming under 30K miles. I've seen quite a few go for less than 50%. When new, a lot of these were sold for $20-30K under MSRP. They have room to come down that low.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #30
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
In the 3 months I hit this hard, and the 2 since where I still look out of morbid curiosity, I have not seen one sold in a day, or even a week, even when priced right.

The one I got I waited a month before I reached out after finding it. They were too high and I was pretty sure it would sit at their price. It sat at the price for a month, then dropped about 5K, then sat for several more weeks before I made my first contact via their generic "ask the dealer a question" email. I offered a "low ball" in their eyes, but my price was on par with another that was only ~500 miles away and similarly equipped, so I did have a basis if they asked me to justify my offer. They didn't even respond. A few days went by and got the automated "did your question get answered?" and I replied back with "no". The individual that fielded my inquiry basically cold shouldered me and said it was a good price, and would not be lowering it, no opening for debate. I still had eyes on that other that I was price comparing to so I just let it sit. 2 weeks later I finalized my decision that I would not want that full center console that the other had, so it was off my list. I contacted the dealer again through the same "ask the dealer a question" from a different email address and landed on a different sales person. He was willing to "take my lower offer to the manager", and came back with a counter offer number that was acceptable. It was ~4K less than the other guy that wouldn't even entertain negotiating. The car had been on their lot over 3 months at that point. Sometimes it's not the dealer, it's the sales person themselves. Go over their head, or around them. The first guy wouldn't even ask, the other did and got a sale, and me a car I wanted.

Time is most likely on your side. The longer it sits, the more that car costs them. If they have had it for more than a month, it will need a good sized price cut to move. Carfax will tell you how long it has sat. Let them know you know if that becomes part of the discussion, and that you know these don't sell fast.

50% of MSRP at the 3 year mark seems to be *actual final average actual sales price, assuming under 30K miles. I've seen quite a few go for less than 50%. When new, a lot of these were sold for $20-30K under MSRP. They have room to come down that low.
Always call the manager direct, never even waste your breath with any salesperson. The manager will have to sign off anyway, so why even waste your time with a salesman.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00
      05-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #31
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
I will say this no matter what you get, for me the 7 is about the toys.

Ever since I saw the promos for the car with the remote parking, I knew it was more novel than anything (maybe in Europe, the garage or parking situation would warrant a person that can afford a 7 still being relegated to a small parking *******.

I did however wait out for a fully loaded 7er with everything under the sun except the aroma therapy option and the executive lounge seating.

I actually got to use this feature recently in earnest. I went to pick up dinner and parked in 15 min parking. Some a-hole in an old Grand Marquis (with bench seating in front) parked literally 6 in from me so they could get out the other side. I didn't get flustered, I got my handy display key out and out she came! A parking attendant near by nearly lost his mind… it was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:30 PM   #32
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmish View Post
Always call the manager direct, never even waste your breath with any salesperson. The manager will have to sign off anyway, so why even waste your time with a salesman.
in most cases, I agree with you, I ended up having to ask FOR the manager after feeling like I was not being handled well. Great point. Just go for the jugular up front.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 07:18 PM   #33
iFlyCrypto
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 2014 328d

Hey there,

Just a few quick questions.

What were the biggest (if any) differences between the 2018/2019 M760i? It seemed like someone was talking as if there were differences.

TIA

Last edited by iFlyCrypto; 09-24-2022 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 04:45 AM   #34
Ironrose
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFlyCrypto View Post
Hey there,

Just a few quick questions.

What were the biggest (if any) differences between the 2018/2019 M760i? It seemed like someone was talking as if there were differences.

TIA
Pre LCI Vs LCI ... Depending on the market there is a drop in BHP(10-30) but increased the torque figures (40-50 NM)

Driving assistant plus replaced with driving assistant professional

Climate controlled windscreen and glass become standard

And the obvious difference of the facelift
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 09:34 AM   #35
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Going with the B7 will give you admission into the ultra rare 200+ mph club.