BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-21-2022, 11:26 PM   #1
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

So, no more V12, what happens to used V12 values?

I guess we can stick a pin in this and review it in 6 months... or a year. We always heard and could guess, but.. now we know for sure the new flagship BMW 760 is not a V12, and any N74 engine car is the last of that breed. And (from what I am reading) no new 2023 7s will be as quick as the quickest ones we can get on 2022 and previous.(not sure what Alpina might do...)

Similar to what happened with the i8s, where people might have been leasing an i8 and holding out for the Vision M, or not owning an i8 and waiting for the Vision M, to have their mid-engined BMW and then all those people had the rug pulled out, (plus, bucket-listing during a pandemic caused lots of sporty cars to appreciate)., In any case, the values of i8s went up by $10k-20k used, in one year, and the biggest push seemed to happen after the Vision M news.

I am curious to see what happens when it really settles in to anyone who still is not really aware, that there's really no more V12. Maybe this might apply mostly for the current leasers and owners, who might hang onto their M760is... Also, what impressions people have driving the new 2023 7s. Does it drive some to the used market to scoop up some rare goodies? I don't think there's any sort of strong enthusiast appeal like the i8 had/has, but I am curious to see what happens.

(for me, I kinda hope M760is keep dropping in value like a rock, so I can pick up one of a different color sometime in the next few years.)

Last edited by mws; 04-21-2022 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:19 PM   #2
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

In the short term, the used car market is in for a real correction, as it should be...but I do not think inflation is going away in the medium-long term. Additionally, I do think the hype around EVs will start to wear off a bit, and I think the supply chain problems will lead to persistent issues getting new cars over the next couple years or so. Really hard to say what will happen. But...once the dust settles...I could see them holding their value, at least. Half the used S65s on the market have something in the description about "no more V12 AMGs" and the prices have not budged in 2 years. So, I could see M760s doing the same. However if you buy one now, be prepared for it to dump 10, even 20% of its value over the next 12-18 months as we suffer serious economic corrections coming up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
Outlaw10-5
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
In the short term, the used car market is in for a real correction, as it should be...but I do not think inflation is going away in the medium-long term. Additionally, I do think the hype around EVs will start to wear off a bit, and I think the supply chain problems will lead to persistent issues getting new cars over the next couple years or so. Really hard to say what will happen. But...once the dust settles...I could see them holding their value, at least. Half the used S65s on the market have something in the description about "no more V12 AMGs" and the prices have not budged in 2 years. So, I could see M760s doing the same. However if you buy one now, be prepared for it to dump 10, even 20% of its value over the next 12-18 months as we suffer serious economic corrections coming up.
I agree with basically everything said here. I'm actually in the car business, though I don't typically deal with luxury cars. Part of the gamble of the 760 I bought was hoping that I won't get murdered in depreciation with the end of the V12, given the 7 series has always been one of the WORST in that department.. Low mileage cars I think can be safer for a longer period, especially in desirable harder to find configurations.
Derived16.00
      04-29-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw10-5 View Post
I agree with basically everything said here. I'm actually in the car business, though I don't typically deal with luxury cars. Part of the gamble of the 760 I bought was hoping that I won't get murdered in depreciation with the end of the V12, given the 7 series has always been one of the WORST in that department.. Low mileage cars I think can be safer for a longer period, especially in desirable harder to find configurations.
That's sort of what I'm hoping for as well...hoping to keep it for a long time (6-7 years at least), and forever if it becomes clear that cars like this aren't coming back. Things like the EQS make me physically ill....

The one I just bought has ~27k miles on it, and is in excellent shape, hoping to keep it that way. Even if I'm wrong and it totally tanks, I really don't care...there's nothing else really like this car apart from an S65.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #5
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

I would think if there is a severe spike in fuel prices this could affect the 760 as surely feeding a V-12 is not meant for regular Joes.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #6
Outlaw10-5
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I would think if there is a severe spike in fuel prices this could affect the 760 as surely feeding a V-12 is not meant for regular Joes.

Maybe it's just me, but if fuel cost and efficiency is a factor, large engine luxury cars isn't the right game to be in... 🤔

🤣
      05-05-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but if fuel cost and efficiency is a factor, large engine luxury cars isn't the right game to be in... ��

��
I've had mine for 2 months, it gets the same mileage as our escalade "family hauler", and we rationalise that cost just fine.

I was looking at another brand/class, it is getting similar poor mileage in a 3.5L V6 in the 385 HP range. yes, these V-12's suck down the fuel, but compared to other brands at lower power levels, it does very well.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 12:14 PM   #8
Outlaw10-5
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I've had mine for 2 months, it gets the same mileage as our escalade "family hauler", and we rationalise that cost just fine.
Same in our house. Escalade ESV Gets a touch worse mileage than the V-12, unfortunately the 760 is made out of sugar, and if water touches it it melts (or maybe it's just my soul a little &#128514.

If fuel mileage is a concern, my truck gets used GMC Canyon diesel (30mpg) or the tdi Beetle (50mpg) when the wife feels that she doesn't want to spend the coin on fuel.
      05-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #9
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Same in our house. Escalade ESV Gets a touch worse mileage than the V-12, unfortunately the 760 is made out of sugar, and if water touches it it melts (or maybe it's just my soul a little ��).

If fuel mileage is a concern, my truck gets used GMC Canyon diesel (30mpg) or the tdi Beetle (50mpg) when the wife feels that she doesn't want to spend the coin on fuel.
I actually saw your car in my search and tried to connect on it. You beat me to it by a couple days. 8)

I am glad I didn't end up with black, I've had black and love black, but looks awful so quickly here in the PNW. This dark grey is solid base (non-metallic), it shows the PNW roadgrime so much less than black does. I don't know what coating is on it but I suspect it's one of the ceramic coatings, dirt just seems to fall off when it rains on it after a dirty drive. It lives in a garage, but it's gotten rained on and then seems cleaner after the rain. I'm surprised how much better this coating is than wax. I just wish I knew what it was. My car came out of Texas BTW.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #10
Outlaw10-5
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I actually saw your car in my search and tried to connect on it. You beat me to it by a couple days. 8)

I am glad I didn't end up with black, I've had black and love black, but looks awful so quickly here in the PNW. This dark grey is solid base (non-metallic), it shows the PNW roadgrime so much less than black does. I don't know what coating is on it but I suspect it's one of the ceramic coatings, dirt just seems to fall off when it rains on it after a dirty drive. It lives in a garage, but it's gotten rained on and then seems cleaner after the rain. I'm surprised how much better this coating is than wax. I just wish I knew what it was. My car came out of Texas BTW.
I refuse black, my daily pickup in a bronzish brown color. Often times people think its actually pretty clean until they get close up and see how filthy it is.

Yeah, it's definitely a unique one. I broke my budget in my shopping when I stumbled on these V12s, and found a Red one. Spent about $20k more than I was planning on spending on an RS7, but worth it I think.

I got it ceramic coated, though I suppose I haven't really seen the benefit yet. Comes out of the garage, I go around it with a California Car Duster, letting the car partially warm up, and I'm good. I got stuck in the rain one time on a trip 12 days after it got coated (time for it to cure?), and I was forced to take in the car for warranty work an hour away just a couple days before the warranty expired (trivial stuff, but gotta get it started before they won't do it, right?!).

Hope you're enjoying the 7!
      05-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #11
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Have to say, was hoping for *slightly* better fuel economy in the M760 vs. my E60 M5...doesn't seem to be the case, maybe a bit better on the freeway...struggles to average 20 mpg. But...I didn't buy this car for fuel economy. It's also possibly my fault, as it's almost impossible not to dip into the power when the opportunity presents itself.
Appreciate 0