BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #23
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
What car(s) are you hoping or expecting to buy next?

I am on a list for a 1st year C8Z so I won't count that as it's a given if GM ever gives us pricing & opens order banks....

I am thinking R8 V10 or a Ferrari or some sort or maybe I will, instead of looking for driver quality, just buy an already resto modded 60s Chevelle or Cutlass. Maybe buy a different kind of bucket list car & go V8 Esprit.

Too many cars, not enough money............
If you can afford it and have some $$ in reserve for potential repairs, I would very highly recommend a Ferrari FF. Still the most undervalued car out there under $200k IMO, even at current prices. Amazing (and I cannot emphasize that enough) V12 engine, incredibly comfortable, can fit 4 adults easily, and one of the most interesting designs ever made. One of the few cars where there is truly nothing else like it on the market. Some people hate the shooting brake look (they were probably dropped on their heads as babies) but I think it's awesome. Comes with the usual PITA Italian quirks and expenses but worth every penny. Do your research as there's a couple of major potential issues that are $$$.

The sound with an aftermarket exhaust is just insane. Zero drone and super quiet on the highway while cruising. The driving experience with a Ferrari is so unlike any other car I've driven, and I've driven a lot of cars.
Appreciate 4
      05-26-2022, 12:09 PM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Most likely G87 M2 or a Porsche Boxster. However the market is so crazy right now, I'll probably sit tight for a while.

Giulia QV is compelling but now that discounts are hard to come by and residuals still not being great [with subsequently unattractive lease numbers] I'll probably pass.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:42 PM   #25
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'm not ballin' out of control like some of the folks here.

Although, I have already spent $3k on suspension for it and the car hasn't even been built yet.
Tears laughing.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 12:55 PM   #26
overfreeze
Banned
Rep
Drives: 18' BSM M4 ZCP

Definitely not anything from BMW. It will probably be a 991.2 GT3.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Donatello.1017.00
      05-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #27
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

The plan was a G80 M3 Comp but now that I'm back to 105 for the 4th time I'm going back and forth on if I really want it right now. At this point in time I feel like I could probably use my money a little smarter with other opportunities instead of dumping it into a car. I might give up the allocation and then come back in a year or two when things have hopefully calmed down a bit.

No idea what I would get instead of the G80 though. Used it out of the question given the insane prices right now, and nothing else new really stands out (assuming you can even get anything).

I might go a different direction and see if I can get an order in for an X3 M40i and just be in something a little more "comfortable" for a bit while I wait things out. I also might take a new job where I'd be remote but commuting up to Dallas once a month. Definitely don't want to be doing that in the F80 but wouldn't mind it in the X3.
      05-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #28
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
"Enough." Curious word that's highly subjective, and the guy that drives a Hellcat and turbo Miata might not be the best source for me. lol
It's not worth the price tag IMO. If it is to you, go for it. I wanted an Elise, but F this market. Back in a Miata I go!
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13540.00
      05-26-2022, 03:09 PM   #29
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Tears laughing.
I would have already ordered a custom set of BC Racing Forged wheels and the cat-back, but I have to see what my RSUs are worth that I get at the end of next month and then another round the beginning of August too. Tech stocks have taken a beating this year. It sucks that our company got wrapped up in it as our earnings are still outstanding and we are still hiring left and right.

Also want to do partial PPF and ceramic coat the rest of it and need $1500 or so for TT&L.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #30
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
The plan was a G80 M3 Comp but now that I'm back to 105 for the 4th time I'm going back and forth on if I really want it right now. At this point in time I feel like I could probably use my money a little smarter with other opportunities instead of dumping it into a car. I might give up the allocation and then come back in a year or two when things have hopefully calmed down a bit.

No idea what I would get instead of the G80 though. Used it out of the question given the insane prices right now, and nothing else new really stands out (assuming you can even get anything).

I might go a different direction and see if I can get an order in for an X3 M40i and just be in something a little more "comfortable" for a bit while I wait things out. I also might take a new job where I'd be remote but commuting up to Dallas once a month. Definitely don't want to be doing that in the F80 but wouldn't mind it in the X3.
5-series is a pretty comfortable car.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4602.50
      05-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #31
aktif8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4c vert

Garage List
Quote:
I would have already ordered a custom set of BC Racing Forged wheels and the cat-back, but I have to see what my RSUs are worth that I get at the end of next month and then another round the beginning of August too. Tech stocks have taken a beating this year. It sucks that our company got wrapped up in it as our earnings are still outstanding and we are still hiring left and right.

Also want to do partial PPF and ceramic coat the rest of it and need $1500 or so for TT&L.

It's the one time i envy you FAANG types (I'm being presumptive there.)

All of my options are illiquid, regardless of paper valuation, and in this market, a series b at advantageous terms is no sure thing...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 05:16 PM   #32
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktif8 View Post
It's the one time i envy you FAANG types (I'm being presumptive there.)

All of my options are illiquid, regardless of paper valuation, and in this market, a series b at advantageous terms is no sure thing...
Not a FAANG company, but if you pay attention to America's Cup, you'll see us prominently sponsoring a team..........as well as Red Bull F1.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #33
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Quote:
Not a FAANG company, but if you pay attention to America's Cup, you'll see us prominently sponsoring a team..........as well as Red Bull F1.
The NRA?…
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 05:46 PM   #34
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
The NRA?…
I'm not sure if this is a lame troll attempt, or if the short bus was too long for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 06:28 PM   #35
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I've already been fortunate enough to own a few exotics, and I really don't the worry associated with driving them locally. I find now that I enjoy more subtle cars.
interesting, lately I have been thinking more and more that there is a happy medium when it comes to cars, a point at which the car brings you enough joy that going further up the price scale doesn't really make sense and brings with it a slew of worries that take away from the enjoyment

exotics and more focused sports cars tend to bring with them compromises in visibility, clearance, ride comfort, and bring unwanted attention

I am starting to think I might stop striving for that next big thing and be content with good enough (and most recently for me the M2 comp was that car) but then a ferrari drives by...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 07:16 PM   #36
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
exotics and more focused sports cars tend to bring with them compromises in visibility, clearance, ride comfort, and bring unwanted attention
FF solves all of those problems except maybe the last one, plus you get a screaming V12
Appreciate 1
nicholasn261.00
      05-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #37
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a lame troll attempt, or if the short bus was too long for you.
Yeah Okie, that was just general thought and a sarcastic guess/statement, on my part, of the organization (corp sponsor) above…

For context, I’m a tad high enjoying the long holiday weekend. I just found the America’s Cup and corp. sponsorships reference to be thought-provoking & weirdly ironic given the world we live in and how we govern ourselves mind-boggling fucked up.

Again, I was high…this got super deep for me.

Be well…good weekend.

OP, my apologies…I broke my own rule- well two; NO politics and NO getting high on a weeknight.

Carry on.

B.
Appreciate 3
      05-26-2022, 08:26 PM   #38
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingham_M2C View Post
Yeah Okie, that was just general thought and a sarcastic guess/statement, on my part, of the organization (corp sponsor) above…

For context, I’m a tad high enjoying the long holiday weekend. I just found the America’s Cup and corp. sponsorships reference to be thought-provoking & weirdly ironic given the world we live in and how we govern ourselves mind-boggling fucked up.

Again, I was high…this got super deep for me.

Be well…good weekend.

OP, my apologies…I broke my own rule- well two; NO politics and NO getting high on a weeknight.

Carry on.

B.
No ill will, I was just genuinely confused on what you were getting at.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #39
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
interesting, lately I have been thinking more and more that there is a happy medium when it comes to cars, a point at which the car brings you enough joy that going further up the price scale doesn't really make sense and brings with it a slew of worries that take away from the enjoyment

I am starting to think I might stop striving for that next big thing and be content with good enough (and most recently for me the M2 comp was that car) but then a ferrari drives by...
YOu're as big a head case as I am. I am going through same back and forth in my head but then yeah something nice cruises by.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #40
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

It's a LONG ways out, but I've loved the Gen V Vipers since they came out. Specifically want a TA 1.0 or 2.0 in Yorange. If Gen V prices keep climbing like they have for the past few years, I'd love a 991.1 GT3 manual in Ultraviolet, or even a Cayman GT4.

My F80 is more than enough right now though, love it to death.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 10:59 AM   #41
nicholasn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Coupe, '09 CBR600RR

Came really close to picking up a 335i before the market went completely crazy, unfortunately the seller sold it out from under me and I haven't been able to find anything else that is comfortably within budget without sacrificing power, comfort, or manual transmission. Ended up picking up a motorcycle a couple months ago, and now I want another one except with more power, so I think my next purchase will be another bike.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 12:00 PM   #42
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

For the first time in my life, i think i can confidently say I’m done. And happy with what i have. It’s a combo of me having a great cross-section of cars that fill every want/need, having found my best-of-the-best through trial and error, seeing that no OEM is making cars that are better than the previous gens (except maybe GM), and car prices getting so ungodly ridiculous.

Of course, I’ll never say never, and at some point I’ll have to go electric. But right now, i think i am well and truly good

Quote:
ORCL? I think you guys are well-equipped to weather this current madness, and you’ll be selling really low on those RSU’s. And then buying super-high on a depreciating asset like a new automobile…ouch. You didn’t ask for my opinion, but i can’t help making the observation (with good intentions)
Appreciate 5
Cos270608.50
Germanauto9665.50
stein_325i25051.00
nicholasn261.00
Bingham276.00
      06-01-2022, 01:36 PM   #43
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
ORCL? I think you guys are well-equipped to weather this current madness, and you’ll be selling really low on those RSU’s. And then buying super-high on a depreciating asset like a new automobile…ouch. You didn’t ask for my opinion, but i can’t help making the observation (with good intentions)
Unfortunately, I can't decide when the vest and convert to cash and they automatically pay the income tax by lowering the amount of shares that put into your account.

But I can determine when I cash out. I'm hoping after Q4 earning are announced later this month it will bump the price up. Fortunately we aren't too far from normal. That big run up at the end of last year was completely strange to many of us who actually work there.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 11:26 PM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
For the first time in my life, i think i can confidently say I’m done. And happy with what i have. It’s a combo of me having a great cross-section of cars that fill every want/need, having found my best-of-the-best through trial and error, seeing that no OEM is making cars that are better than the previous gens (except maybe GM), and car prices getting so ungodly ridiculous.

Of course, I’ll never say never, and at some point I’ll have to go electric. But right now, i think i am well and truly good
Good for you, that's an excellent garage you have now. But yes these cars don't last forever if driven routinely. Eventually you will have to get something new as a DD.
Appreciate 0