BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-05-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Dallas recommendations

Planning a trip to Dallas for October for a bachelor party. Looking for recommendations on best parts to stay, where to stay away from, bars, restaurants, things to do.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 01:30 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I have stayed at the Omni a few times. It's not too far from down town. Probably half a mile away. Really nice hotel. In terms of what to do around there I wasn't too impressed with the local area so I ventured out to Austin. Love the lake there. I would say hire a speed runner and enjoy the waters. Amazing views.

However, if it's a buffet you want... The Men's Club, The Lodge, The Clubhouse, Silver City, Million Dollar Saloon (if it's still open).

No shortage of scantily clad women there, just bring plenty of cash.
Appreciate 3
      07-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I've got a buddy that lives out there...for BBQ Pecan Lodge is pretty good, and I enjoyed going to The Rustic to eat, drink, and hang out.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
My wife stays at the Omni a lot when she is near downtown Dallas. Another recommendation for that.
      07-06-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I always enjoy staying at The Joule.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

I live in Uptown Dallas and work as a side hustle in the bar restaurant industry!

Here's my recommendations:
For hotels; The Joule, The Statler Hilton, Hotel ZaZa, and the Omni are all good choices. If you really want to go crazy the Ritz and The Crescent can't be beat. The Statler has a nice bonus of having 6 restaurants on their property.

For bars in fall/summertime there's lots of great patios in town, I recommend Happiest Hour, The Henry, and The Rustic. Moxies is mostly indoors but also a good atmosphere.
For restaurants my favorites right now are Homewood, CBD at the Joule (chef there is a BMW guy too), Pecan Lodge is the go-to tourist BBQ, and if you want to again go fancy Trulucks, Nick and Sam's, or Del Frisco's (The latter two have some of the best steak in town)

If you like craft cocktails the go-to bars would be Parliament, Bowen House, and Standard Pour (Standard pour also offers a great Sunday brunch with live music).
For Craft beer check out the Deep Ellum Brewery

The lodge is definitely the best "scantily clad women" location, and they serve some really good surf and turf.

I would recommend staying in The Uptown, Downtown, or Victory Park, or Harwood areas to hang out. Deep Ellum is a popular party area, but crime rate late-night is a little bit higher over there, it's a bit safer near Uptown.

For nightclubs, Concrete Cowboy is a great spot (I work there Saturday nights), Citizen, and One Sette are great bottle-sevice Vegas-style clubs.
The place called Backyard is a cool venue as well if you like lawn games (cornhole, pool tables, giant jenga, etc.)

As far as other things to do... White Rock Lake has lots of jogging and walking trails, George Bush Library at SMU has an incredible 9-11 exhibit, museums, JFK memorial and holocaust museum are near each-other downtown in the "West-End" area. October would be start of hockey season, so you could potentially catch at Stars game.

Also, I highly recommend renting a car if you fly into DFW airport, an Uber from there to Downtown Dallas runs about $40. If you fly Southwest Airlines you can fly in to Dallas Love Field which you could probably get away with just ubering your whole trip from there. Tons of available Turo rentals too in Dallas if you want to avoid standard rental car companies and drive something nicer.

Lastly, avoid the South Dallas/Fair Park area.

Also, feel free to message me, I can answer any questions lol

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads

Last edited by Kelse92; 07-07-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
      07-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I live in Uptown Dallas and work as a side hustle in the bar restaurant industry!

Here's my recommendations:
For hotels; The Joule, The Statler Hilton, Hotel ZaZa, and the Omni are all good choices. If you really want to go crazy the Ritz and The Crescent can't be beat. The Statler has a nice bonus of having 6 restaurants on their property.

For bars in fall/summertime there's lots of great patios in town, I recommend Happiest Hour, The Henry, and The Rustic. Moxies is mostly indoors but also a good atmosphere.
For restaurants my favorites right now are Homewood, CBD at the Joule (chef there is a BMW guy too), Pecan Lodge is the go-to tourist BBQ, and if you want to again go fancy Trulucks, Nick and Sam's, or Del Frisco's (The latter two have some of the best steak in town)

If you like craft cocktails the go-to bars would be Parliament, Bowen House, and Standard Pour (Standard pour also offers a great Sunday brunch with live music).
For Craft beer check out the Deep Ellum Brewery

The lodge is definitely the best "scantily clad women" location, and they serve some really good surf and turf.

I would recommend staying in The Uptown, Downtown, or Victory Park, or Harwood areas to hang out. Deep Ellum is a popular party area, but crime rate late-night is a little bit higher over there, it's a bit safer near Uptown.

For nightclubs, Concrete Cowboy is a great spot (I work there Saturday nights), Citizen, and One Sette are great bottle-sevice Vegas-style clubs.
The place called Backyard is a cool venue as well if you like lawn games (cornhole, pool tables, giant jenga, etc.)

As far as other things to do... White Rock Lake has lots of jogging and walking trails, George Bush Library at SMU has an incredible 9-11 exhibit, museums, JFK memorial and holocaust museum are near each-other downtown in the "West-End" area. October would be start of hockey season, so you could potentially catch at Stars game.

Also, I highly recommend renting a car if you fly into DFW airport, an Uber from there to Downtown Dallas runs about $40. If you fly Southwest Airlines you can fly in to Dallas Love Field which you could probably get away with just ubering your whole trip from there. Tons of available Turo rentals too in Dallas if you want to avoid standard rental car companies and drive something nicer.

Lastly, avoid the South Dallas/Fair Park area.

Also, feel free to message me, I can answer any questions lol
uptown is dead. deep ellum is where it is at.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #8
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
I personally would rather not deal with the chances of getting shot down there, getting mugged, or the homeless panhandlers begging for money on every block but I guess that’s just young, single, female me talking

I only recommend Deep Ellum during the daytime (my office is in Deep Ellum, daytime is great down there!) or unerring directly to the bar I’m going to and going home. I don’t bar-hop between anymore. Truth and Alibi, Black Swan, and Dot’s are some of my favorite places too, I just don’t feel safe really going down there besides to my day job. But that’s starting to get off-topic...

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I've got a buddy that lives out there...for BBQ Pecan Lodge is pretty good, and I enjoyed going to The Rustic to eat, drink, and hang out.
the brisket there was amazing. ribs not so much
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

bobs steakhouse
      07-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
fricfracfrank
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
I personally would rather not deal with the chances of getting shot down there, getting mugged, or the homeless panhandlers begging for money on every block but I guess that’s just young, single, female me talking

I only recommend Deep Ellum during the daytime (my office is in Deep Ellum, daytime is great down there!) or unerring directly to the bar I’m going to and going home. I don’t bar-hop between anymore. Truth and Alibi, Black Swan, and Dot’s are some of my favorite places too, I just don’t feel safe really going down there besides to my day job. But that’s starting to get off-topic...
I've heard about truth & alibi....good speakeasy?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #12
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricfracfrank View Post
I've heard about truth & alibi....good speakeasy?
It is! I’m slightly biased as I know the owners and they own 7 really great venues in Dallas, but it’s a great little speakeasy that fronts for a beautiful nightclub behind the “candy-shop.” For a true craft-cocktail speakeasy Bourbon and Banter in the Statler Hotel and the bar called Atwater Alley are the go-to’s.

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
bobs steakhouse
Lol...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
chrisnguyen01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 540xi

Avoid Deep Ellum, you'll spend a good hour trying to find a parking spot. Try hitting up the bars off Knox/Henderson. It's not overcrowded like Deep Ellum and Uptown. Pecan Lodge is overrated, try Cattleack instead.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
bobs steakhouse
Lol...
Where are you going with this? I don't mind Bob's, in fact prefer it to most DFW choices outside of Al Biernats.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Where are you going with this? I don't mind Bob's, in fact prefer it to most DFW choices outside of Al Biernats.
The guy is going to Dallas for a bachelor party. I say recommended a fun Dallas-only restaurant rather than some predictable national chain.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:31 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The guy is going to Dallas for a bachelor party. I say recommended a fun Dallas-only restaurant rather than some predictable national chain.
Gotcha. Didn't realize they had so many. Only been to the original. But yeah, about the last place I'd go for a bachelor party.
Appreciate 1
P111541.50
      07-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #18
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnguyen01 View Post
Avoid Deep Ellum, you'll spend a good hour trying to find a parking spot. Try hitting up the bars off Knox/Henderson. It's not overcrowded like Deep Ellum and Uptown. Pecan Lodge is overrated, try Cattleack instead.
Knox-Henderson is so fun too! Whippersnapper/High Fives are great

Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #19
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
The lodge is the strip club to go to.
Neighborhood services is consistently the best restaurant in Dallas.
If you want to try real authentic Texas barbecue, Hutchins In Mckinney would be a fun side visit. It's known as one of the best barbecue places in the country.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
the brisket there was amazing. ribs not so much
Was there a month or so ago, line around the block, no thanks. Not even if you were giving the shit away. Ended up at some side of the road BBQ joint in the middle of nowhere Texas, amazing brisket! Better than some of other well known places we went last year in Houston and San Antonio.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #21
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Was there a month or so ago, line around the block, no thanks. Not even if you were giving the shit away. Ended up at some side of the road BBQ joint in the middle of nowhere Texas, amazing brisket! Better than some of other well known places we went last year in Houston and San Antonio.
This brisket hype is out of control in Texas, and due to all the tourists overwhelming the hyped up spots, quality noticeably gone down. I avoid places with lines like the plague.
Appreciate 0