BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #67
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Ultimately he's really just asking for a deeper overdrive, which can easily be accomplished with a six speed. Having driven the Corvette and 991, I'd happily choose a 6s over either of those, just as Porsche did with the GT3.
The problem with that is the massive GAP between gears. I happen to have a 7 speed manual, and the gap from 4th (1:1) to 7th (0.6:1) is insanely large. Like unusably large. You'd pretty much have to wind out 5th to a pretty high RPM to go into 6th, if 5th is the usual 1:1 and 6th is the overdrive like most 6 gear setup.

If a tall 6th is the goal, it's probably better achieved with say, a 0.8x:1 6th and a 2.7x final drive rather than the typical 2.9x or 3.1x rear that BMW puts into their manuals. Or a 7 speed with 5th being the typical 1:1, and 6th being 0.8x:1, then a 7th that drops down to 0.64:1 or something to that effect, and retain a short-ish final drive.

But again...Since all the 7 speeds on the market are mated to specific rear drives via a transaxle setup, it isn't like the current ZF 6 speed where the transmission and diff are connected via a driveshaft therefore opening up all the world of possibilities for rear end ratios. On the Tremec TR-7060 7 speed you only have like 3 rear end ratios you can possibly pick from, take it or leave it.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      11-08-2018, 12:54 AM   #68
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

#Savethemanuals.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #69
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Modern auto transmissions are just too good now. Manual is almost obsolete. Even if my Hellcat came with a manual, I would have gone auto.

With that said, I have owned 3 Miatas,all manual, and that is a car I will only buy with a manual trans.
Appreciate 0