BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-28-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Display Key

My 2019 7 series was ordered without remote control parking. I do not care about the remote control parking feature but I really want to have the display key which is part of the option package.

Is it possible to buy an OEM display key and have it coded to my car? BMW says it cant be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi Kmish, I've not tried this myself but it should be possible (from the BMW dealer) as you can order a 5 series with a display key and that doesn't have remote parking...so not because of that feature that you can't do it, they may however, have some issues with wanting to do it as it may not be a profit item for them.

You can certainly get an aftermarket chap to code your car to a display key, I've seen plenty of facebook posts where this was done, even for non display key cars...obviously not looked into it (so it could be fake) but don't imagine it would be, after all it is just another key fob with some basic items that your smart phone can also call up so just needs to be coded to the car like the smart phone would be.

There are certainly display keys with and without the remote parking feature so it is not (or at least wasn't on earlier models) an issue with the display key functionality.

Hope that helps.