Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

10-15-2018, 01:32 AM   #1
aous101
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Question BMW M5 - driving at low speed issue

Hi guys,

I would appreciate a bit of advise here.

I recently bought an F10 M5 2012 model, 3 months back, and I am noticing that while driving at a very slow speed (while the second gear shows on the dashboard), and when I press the throttle gently, I hear a click coming from beneath the car, like the gear was in neutral, and when I gently press on the throttle, the gear is engaged.

do you think this is normal?

Also, sometimes when I firmly accelerate at a very slow pace, I feel like the gear is slowly engaging until the car became firm and feel that the gear is 100% engaged.

I am still new to the car, and just wondering if this is normal or shall I check it out?
One last question, am I the only who feel the car is quit uncomfortable to drive in neighborhoods at slow speed?

thanks a lot in advance for your comments.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:07 AM   #2
msq123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by aous101 View Post
Hi guys,

I would appreciate a bit of advise here.

I recently bought an F10 M5 2012 model, 3 months back, and I am noticing that while driving at a very slow speed (while the second gear shows on the dashboard), and when I press the throttle gently, I hear a click coming from beneath the car, like the gear was in neutral, and when I gently press on the throttle, the gear is engaged.

do you think this is normal?

Also, sometimes when I firmly accelerate at a very slow pace, I feel like the gear is slowly engaging until the car became firm and feel that the gear is 100% engaged.

I am still new to the car, and just wondering if this is normal or shall I check it out?
One last question, am I the only who feel the car is quit uncomfortable to drive in neighborhoods at slow speed?

thanks a lot in advance for your comments.
This seems quite odd. DCT is very slick and the gear change is very precise and quick. Gets quicker if you increase gear shifting speed. Of course, there are times when you find yourself in the wrong gear but that is an exception than the norm.

So, I think you should get it checked if you have some sort of warranty before it runs out. Also, for a car like M5 I would go for bumper to bumper warranty if you haven't already. It's a relatively reliable car but repairs when required cost a pretty penny.

Comfort is very relative. of course, it is not as comfortable as the air suspension of a Mercedes. So it all depends on what you are coming from, for me coming from an E92, I found it very comfortable. BMWs have stiff suspension and even in softest setting M5 is stiff. So it all comes down to what you are used to.

Finally, you will get more help posting this in M5 section. There are some brilliant technical folks out there who might help you narrow down the issue.

Happy driving!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Check the DCT and cooler rad/lines for fluid leak, any drips or small pools of ATF..not sure but could be covered by underfloor plastic wind panel so may not show if it is, or could simply require a fluid change service if it's acting up.
The M5 is no Rolls but it's certainly far more comfortable than the rock hard suspension of my previous Merc c class Sport which had no electronic damper control.
Appreciate 0