BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #133
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Finally snagged this new R3 for $340 using a promo code (now over) verified it had the latest Firmware and hardwired it in! Man this thing has tons of user customizing.

Nice!!

You should've went all black though (imo anyways) because silver reflects light and glares alot, and the original r3 with the chrome also did that. The new matte model like the r1 would be great to solve it.

Make sure you level hour detector, otherwise it won't let maximum range. I'll be making a post detailing countermeasures soon and that includes radar detector setup.

I also recommend a permanent mount as the small sucion cups imo fall off in hot weather. You can either buy one or make one (which I'll detail as well).
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13847.00
      10-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #134
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Nice!!

You should've went all black though (imo anyways) because silver reflects light and glares alot, and the original r3 with the chrome also did that. The new matte model like the r1 would be great to solve it.

Make sure you level hour detector, otherwise it won't let maximum range. I'll be making a post detailing countermeasures soon and that includes radar detector setup.

I also recommend a permanent mount as the small sucion cups imo fall off in hot weather. You can either buy one or make one (which I'll detail as well).
Thx for the suggestion. Couple of points:

This particular model has a matte silver color. And thus far, it doesn't effect anything. The location is so far forward in my 7 that I see zero reflection.
it looks tilted from the Pic but it's level.
If you notice, I'm not using the factory black suction cups but clear ones from BEL. They work very well. And my car is hardly ever outside. I average @ 4k miles a year or she's in the garage. I've never had a detector fall down.

It's definitely a sweet piece of tech!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #135
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Thx for the suggestion. Couple of points:

This particular model has a matte silver color. And thus far, it doesn't effect anything. The location is so far forward in my 7 that I see zero reflection.
it looks tilted from the Pic but it's level.
If you notice, I'm not using the factory black suction cups but clear ones from BEL. They work very well. And my car is hardly ever outside. I average @ 4k miles a year or she's in the garage. I've never had a detector fall down.

It's definitely a sweet piece of tech!
Haha yeah the new r3 is sweet, I wanted a matte black one because it's completely sleath against the dash.

I knew it was flat but the photo really does make it look tilted, I used a level against the near flat bottom portion of my r3 to verify.

I see, yeah imo the stock r3 suction cups don't hold too good. I prefer a permanent mount because it's also a bit more stable too.

Anyways sweet setup man hope you enjoy the R3, it's a beast detector.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13847.00
      10-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #136
Vet Man
Beverage Dissemination Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: G50,F90,F80,135i S2,K1200RS

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Red Line still doing it for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:54 AM   #137
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet Man View Post
Red Line still doing it for me.
OG redline?

I just got firmware 1.46 for my R3 on the 5th and there are alot of new features, it's like buying a brand new detector. MRCD was also part of the update which is great too, especially for the Edmonton Guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #138
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
OG redline?

I just got firmware 1.46 for my R3 on the 5th and there are alot of new features, it's like buying a brand new detector. MRCD was also part of the update which is great too, especially for the Edmonton Guys.
I also just did the R1 update and confirm 2 MRCD boxes within 2-miles of my home.

BTW have you noticed your R3 running a little hotter after the upgrade ?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #139
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I also just did the R1 update and confirm 2 MRCD boxes within 2-miles of my home.

BTW have you noticed your R3 running a little hotter after the upgrade ?
Careful, mrcd is very tricky to detect and those mrcd boxes could be false k band signals (door openers). The R3 does false less to mrcd than other detectors from what I've heard so it shouldn't be too bad, generally you guys shouldn't have mrcd in the states. I'm not sure if that's changed yet.

My R3 always operates pretty hot but that's normal, post update I use dark mode with bump up brightness to bright mode on alerts, to alleviate screen burn in.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #140
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I've had my V1 for ten years now. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #141
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
I've had my V1 for ten years now. I love it.
V1's were great imo, but they don't work for me anymore. The threats in my area are way to advanced for the v1 to pick up (mrcd, redflex) and new bsm systems are making the v1 false like crazy. It doesn't have a gps chip for lockout so you need a phone and a Bluetooth adapter. Plus updates cost money unlike uniden where it's free and gives new features as well.

But you probably can't beat valentine in terms of relaibility imo, those things are durable as hell.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #142
Smeargle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 for r3. had it for a few months now and it's definitely paid for itself 5x over by now.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #143
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Aren't they coming out with an R5?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 05:53 PM   #144
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Aren't they coming out with an R5?
Only speculation for now, the r1/r3 is only a year and a bit old. Radar detectors generally have a shelf life of 3-5 years before a newer significantly better model with new features come out (eg max - max 360), not slight refresh updates like (max - max 2, or max 360 to max 360c) which enable Bluetooth or wifi.
Appreciate 0