BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-30-2018, 11:53 PM   #1
DNSY
Rep
Drives: 750i

F01 vs. G11 Comparison

Hello everyone, first post here.

I currently have a 2015 750i owner. Having been driving it for 3 years and it is by far the best daily driver I've ever owned.

Now my car is 3.5 years old, I'm at the cross road of buying extended warranty and keep driving or, sell the car and buy the G11 750.

I drove a M760 for about 30 mins. TBH I was not all that impressed. It has insane power but that's not the point for a 7 series for me. I found the G11 has about the same level of comfort and quietness. Back seat position is very high and less comfortable. Interior is much nicer but the F01 still looks beautiful with full individual leather.... Overall I found the new 7 is about incremental changes rather than a huge step up.

I'd like to gather input from people who has owned both and what do you guys think about the G11. How big is the improvement in everyday drive?
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-01-2018, 04:58 AM   #2
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Keep it mate - G11 not as good. I bought G11 only due to London Emissions. Had the choice... I would have F01 all day long provided it has latest spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #3
dnsyy
Rep
Drives: BMWs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
Keep it mate - G11 not as good. I bought G11 only due to London Emissions. Had the choice... I would have F01 all day long provided it has latest spec.
Is it that bad? Is the active steering and active damper with road preview any good? On Mercedes the active damper with road scanning is very amazing.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
Anonymous 2
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 750LI G12

go head, it's the best choice,specially when it equipped by executive drive pro,
      10-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #5
bimmerguy80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 750 msport, 2015 650i GC

If I had it to do all over again I would've kept my F01.
My G11 is very nice but looking back I jumped the gun. Getting ready to order my 8 series very soon
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13653.00
      10-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #6
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
First, hello and welcome DNSY to this subforum and good to have you with us here in the G series section. Should you decide to go for the G series, please do post your thoughts on the change and what you like/note/don't like as it will help others in future as well!

To your question:

You're the only one that can really answer the question but you know that already...some points to consider:

-Do you have x drive on your current F01? If not, then definitely something to consider for the Canadian seasons and travel and a reason to consider changing for that alone?

-Do you have a lot of the features available on the latest versions? (for example the active cruise, DAPlus package (or whatever they are called in N. America...exec package? with lane assist, etc...) If you do have these already or alternatively if you would not order these with a new car and would just get a basic spec...then likely little reason if the other points are not valid...

-Do you not find the F01 a big old beast in terms of knowing where the corners are of the car and how heavy the steering feels? If you like that current feel and don't feel the car feels too big, then stay where you are...if you do find it a big old gal...then the G series is a lot better for steering input (it does not give feedback but is a lot lighter and the car seems to park easier and have better overview of where the corners/edges are) IMO.

-Do you have surround view and or remote parking? Would you ever need it? If you always have plenty of space either side when parking or are rather rural in location, no issues, but if you don't have this and do drive quite a bit in the city or any garages, this can be a very nice feature that you might not currently have. (remote parking is new so you wouldn't have had that but may not need it).

-How serious would it be to you to have a major fault with the car? (even with extended warranty?) Could you stomach a couple of grand repair or investigation costs? What kind of mileage do you do? If you do a lot of miles and the pain threshold is low, then a new car is a better choice in my opinion (especially if you guys get the 5 year, 50k mile service and standard warranty terms)...potentially same payments / month but more peace of mind.

-I have to say that when I had my basic spec 730d F01 (a 2011 model, see the garage pics if you're interested) I also initially didn't fall in love with the G, I couldn't see what the difference would be really besides a bit updated interior but actually the drive of a 'normal' 7 (so a 740 or 750 I assume in Canada) and not the 760...would actually feel lighter, better visibility, and potentially bring some new features that you wanted before but didn't have with peace of mind with service and warranty?). When I did get to the point I had to switch (company car policy doesn't allow me to keep a car longer than 5 years (and I had 113k miles on it by then)...it was also time as any repair costs would have been huge and I love the 7 for the fill it up and enjoy the luxury of the beast...with a reasonable amount of power but not a sports car feel. The new G is a great understated luxury car and if spec'd right, it can certainly be a different and far better car than the older F01...but if you have a very high spec F01 and low mileage and can handle any pain of a fault / service...then enjoy the F01 for a bit longer and see what the next iteration brings.

Hope that helps. I thought I'd miss my F01 but actually love the G11 (same model but G11 is spec'd a lot better than my older F01...for that reason alone it is great.)

-The new LED lights and adaptive capability and larger heads up display can be worth getting a new car alone in my view if you don't have those on your F01...

Safe travels. Do let us know which road you take!
      10-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
DNSY
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
First, hello and welcome DNSY to this subforum and good to have you with us here in the G series section. Should you decide to go for the G series, please do post your thoughts on the change and what you like/note/don't like as it will help others in future as well!

To your question:

You're the only one that can really answer the question but you know that already...some points to consider:

-Do you have x drive on your current F01? If not, then definitely something to consider for the Canadian seasons and travel and a reason to consider changing for that alone?

-Do you have a lot of the features available on the latest versions? (for example the active cruise, DAPlus package (or whatever they are called in N. America...exec package? with lane assist, etc...) If you do have these already or alternatively if you would not order these with a new car and would just get a basic spec...then likely little reason if the other points are not valid...

-Do you not find the F01 a big old beast in terms of knowing where the corners are of the car and how heavy the steering feels? If you like that current feel and don't feel the car feels too big, then stay where you are...if you do find it a big old gal...then the G series is a lot better for steering input (it does not give feedback but is a lot lighter and the car seems to park easier and have better overview of where the corners/edges are) IMO.

-Do you have surround view and or remote parking? Would you ever need it? If you always have plenty of space either side when parking or are rather rural in location, no issues, but if you don't have this and do drive quite a bit in the city or any garages, this can be a very nice feature that you might not currently have. (remote parking is new so you wouldn't have had that but may not need it).

-How serious would it be to you to have a major fault with the car? (even with extended warranty?) Could you stomach a couple of grand repair or investigation costs? What kind of mileage do you do? If you do a lot of miles and the pain threshold is low, then a new car is a better choice in my opinion (especially if you guys get the 5 year, 50k mile service and standard warranty terms)...potentially same payments / month but more peace of mind.

-I have to say that when I had my basic spec 730d F01 (a 2011 model, see the garage pics if you're interested) I also initially didn't fall in love with the G, I couldn't see what the difference would be really besides a bit updated interior but actually the drive of a 'normal' 7 (so a 740 or 750 I assume in Canada) and not the 760...would actually feel lighter, better visibility, and potentially bring some new features that you wanted before but didn't have with peace of mind with service and warranty?). When I did get to the point I had to switch (company car policy doesn't allow me to keep a car longer than 5 years (and I had 113k miles on it by then)...it was also time as any repair costs would have been huge and I love the 7 for the fill it up and enjoy the luxury of the beast...with a reasonable amount of power but not a sports car feel. The new G is a great understated luxury car and if spec'd right, it can certainly be a different and far better car than the older F01...but if you have a very high spec F01 and low mileage and can handle any pain of a fault / service...then enjoy the F01 for a bit longer and see what the next iteration brings.

Hope that helps. I thought I'd miss my F01 but actually love the G11 (same model but G11 is spec'd a lot better than my older F01...for that reason alone it is great.)

-The new LED lights and adaptive capability and larger heads up display can be worth getting a new car alone in my view if you don't have those on your F01...

Safe travels. Do let us know which road you take!
I bought the new car this week.

I took an extra-long test drive this week. This time it is a 750i xDrive. Pelo you are right about every point.
- The demo has 21-inch rim with run-flat. I'm surprised that the new one is only slightly louder and stiffer than my F01 with 20-inch rim and non-RF tires.
- Engine sounds much quieter in comfort mode, maybe because my F01 engine is 50k KMs-old?
- Acceleration in the G11 doesn't feel as strong, but the speedo tells me this new car actually accelerates harder.
- Advanced driver assistant now has steering assist to keep you in the lane. Big plus for long journeys.
- Overall the G11 feels quite a bit lighter and more responsive. It even feels close to a F10 5 series? The F01 is rock-solid but kinda like a heavy tank.
- I normally focus on how the car drives but I have to say, at night, the G11 interior looks like a nightclub on a spaceship.
- Seats in the G11 is noticeably softer, wider and much more comfortable. I like the massage function. My F01 has the 'active seats' that only massage your butt, anyone who owned it knows how useless it is.
- G11 has much newer electronics. For sure they are much more advanced but my F01 has all the options except B&O. Tech-wise F01 is good enough for me.

In the end, I was offered 20+% off on their last brand new 2018 750i and a fair trade-in value of my F01. Comparing the future repair/maintenance/depreciation of my F01, versus the cost of owning the new car... I took the new 7.

Without those $$ incentives, I'd stay with my F01. It is older but still a very, very good car by today's standard.

Will post pics once I take delivery. Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Look forward to the pics! Nice model and choice, congrats.
      10-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Good deal DNSY! I borrowed a G for a week while my 6 was in the shop, and was very tempted to buy it, but couldn't get a decent price out of the dealer. Sounds like you did much better.

If I remember correctly, the G is chock-full of carbon fiber for the frame, which gives it better stiffness which relates to better handling and less creaks and rattles. And of course, newer tech.

I wish that the collision alert system on BMWs could be turned off permanently, as all it does is scare the crap out of me when I'm well aware of what I'm doing (but too aggressive for the computer). One day it may save my bacon, but until then it's just annoying.

Good luck with the new car!
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #10
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Good deal DNSY! I borrowed a G for a week while my 6 was in the shop, and was very tempted to buy it, but couldn't get a decent price out of the dealer. Sounds like you did much better.

If I remember correctly, the G is chock-full of carbon fiber for the frame, which gives it better stiffness which relates to better handling and less creaks and rattles. And of course, newer tech.

I wish that the collision alert system on BMWs could be turned off permanently, as all it does is scare the crap out of me when I'm well aware of what I'm doing (but too aggressive for the computer). One day it may save my bacon, but until then it's just annoying.

Good luck with the new car!
Did you adjust the sensitivity?
      10-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
Did you adjust the sensitivity?
Yes. I'm what some might describe as a slightly aggressive driver.

OK, leave off the "slightly".
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSY View Post

I currently have a 2015 750i owner. Having been driving it for 3 years and it is by far the best daily driver I've ever owned.

Now my car is 3.5 years old, I'm at the cross road of buying extended warranty and keep driving or, sell the car and buy the G11 750.

I drove a M760 for about 30 mins. TBH I was not all that impressed. It has insane power but that's not the point for a 7 series for me. I found the G11 has about the same level of comfort and quietness. Back seat position is very high and less comfortable. Interior is much nicer but the F01 still looks beautiful with full individual leather.... Overall I found the new 7 is about incremental changes rather than a huge step up.

I'd like to gather input from people who has owned both and what do you guys think about the G11. How big is the improvement in everyday drive?
Current F01 owner and had a e65 prior. I had HUGE hopes for the G11/G12 after seeing concepts that were pure sex on wheels. But what BMW brought to the market is very "bland and generic" for a "Flagship Sedan".
I realize some will disagree and that is perfectly fine. I spent quality time behind the wheel of the new 7 and here's my take:

Exterior is lost among other cars on the road. It is like an enlarged 3 Series in every aspect. The F0 has better lines and curves and presence, It sits beefier. The G is more flat with subtle lines.

Interior is much nicer in the G but still not competing with S Class! Except for the tablet sticking out of the dash which I still hate and refuse to accept.

Interior quietness is nearly identical. Power advantage goes to G. Handling slight edge to G. Tech, G.

But when I walk up to my car, I want it to visually please me. That is a MUST!
This new gen 7 just doesn't do it.

Let me remind you all of what the concepts teased us with....

10-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSY View Post

Current F01 owner and had a e65 prior. I had HUGE hopes for the G11/G12 after seeing concepts that were pure sex on wheels. But what BMW brought to the market is very "bland and generic" for a "Flagship Sedan".
I realize some will disagree and that is perfectly fine. I spent quality time behind the wheel of the new 7 and here's my take:

Exterior is lost among other cars on the road. It is like an enlarged 3 Series in every aspect. The F0 has better lines and curves and presence, It sits beefier. The G is more flat with subtle lines.

Interior is much nicer in the G but still not competing with S Class! Except for the tablet sticking out of the dash which I still hate and refuse to accept.

Interior quietness is nearly identical. Power advantage goes to G. Handling slight edge to G. Tech, G.

Sounds like your mind is already made up for the S-Class. I personally like the current 7er and see much of it in my G30 5er.

Or wait until the 8th generation 7 series in the mean time.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #14
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Always good to hear other viewpoints and I take it as a positive sign that the current G11/12 divides opinion, not quite a strongly as the E65/66 did but still more than the F01/02.

Having had an F01 before and now on a G11, I can understand your comments and before I bought my G11, I viewed it quite similarly. I did find the exterior and interior features to be somewhat similar to the F but the devil is in the detail and I actually have come to very much appreciate the understated exterior of the latest 7. Most just go 'another BMW' and even those that are fairly up on their models will generally think it is a 5...which I love as I know what it is and inside it is considerably different to a 3 or a 5 (especially in the details and rear seats)...however, I don't have to shout about it personally. It tends to keep any prying eyes to a minimum and allows one to go around somewhat 'incognito'. ^

The S is a lovely looker and gets attention, for those that want it, choice is easy. The drive in one was as dead as I have ever felt and I still marvel at that. Love the 'look at me' looks (when I'm admiring one, don't want to be the one 'shouting it' though). I drive my car (it would be nice to be in the back no doubt but that is not me) and as a drivers car, no content in my mind in the current 7 v S. YMMV.

Regarding tablets, I'm not a fan of the sticking out either, however, the two 12" screens and the resolution of them on the S are just as bad in those ways, if better integrated into the front dash. I do much prefer the very sleek look of the S interior dash compared to the 7 when the car is locked and one is simply looking in, but the implementation of the controls and usefulness is better in a 7 in my comparisons (albeit given a prejudice towards BMW as I've owned a few now).

The concept car was definitely a different beast (they always are unfortunately) and admittedly is a looker (far more than the production G11/12 but once you are inside and driving it (Day or Night) compared to the S, the contrasts are strong (at least to me).

Again, always good to hear other views and realise that others prefer something different but for me, the current 7 is very close to my ideal car. (especially if I could get a 760 and debadge it).

Safe travels.