BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Scurly
Rep
Drives: 740i

Dead battery - dealership statement

First post so go easy on me.....just took my 2016 740i into my nearest U.S. dealership because battery dead this morning. Service guy said that "if" the diagnostic comes back and states the vehicle has been left unlocked "a lot" and battery needs to be replaced, then BMW won't cover it. Service guy said that the car thinks you will be back soon when the car isn't locked and keeps certain things running. Okay, I get that but after awhile, should the car shut down? Anyway, who locks their car when you pull into your locked, closed, security monitored garage...which is what we do. I will lose it...if BMW makes me pay for this warranted battery. Interested to hear some comments. Anyone heard of this? I am a new BMW owner and bought this car as a CPO. Love my car, but come on man!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 750i G12 M Sport, '12 528i

Yep, it's a different experience compared to any other cars I've had. Just an absolute ton of electronics. You can push and hold the volume button to shut stuff down when you park, if you don't want to lock it. Once you open a front door, absolutely everything fires back up. I just always lock mine in the garage with the added bonus that it folds the mirrors in out of the way too. Just takes a while to get used to that being the norm. On my 2012 5 series, I've timed the aux power because it seemed like it never shut off. Turns out that it stays on for exactly 12 minutes if you don't lock the car. If you lock it, then power stays active for about 5 minutes. I haven't timed it on my 750, but it seems like it stays on an awful long time, so I usually shut it down just so it doesn't wear on the batteries (main in the trunk and the one under the hood).
Appreciate 1
Scurly0.00
      06-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Scurly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrispy View Post
Yep, it's a different experience compared to any other cars I've had. Just an absolute ton of electronics. You can push and hold the volume button to shut stuff down when you park, if you don't want to lock it. Once you open a front door, absolutely everything fires back up. I just always lock mine in the garage with the added bonus that it folds the mirrors in out of the way too. Just takes a while to get used to that being the norm. On my 2012 5 series, I've timed the aux power because it seemed like it never shut off. Turns out that it stays on for exactly 12 minutes if you don't lock the car. If you lock it, then power stays active for about 5 minutes. I haven't timed it on my 750, but it seems like it stays on an awful long time, so I usually shut it down just so it doesn't wear on the batteries (main in the trunk and the one under the hood).
I bought the BimmerCode app and coded iDrive to shut down when door opens, so all should shut off when the door opens. I'm okay with locking all doors in the garage, but my real issue is that the dealership says BMW won't cover the battery if the diagnostics says that is what caused the battery to go bad. How can they enforce an issue that no one is really aware of? My side mirrors won't fold in when locked. I've tried Thanks for the feed back.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The mirrors can be coded in BimmerCode to fold on lock. Even when stuff powers off on the door open, which I also have mine do, I don't think it's the same as when it powers down when it locks. Did you try charging the battery yourself to see if it just needed charged? You could replace the battery yourself if it comes to that, then use the BimmerLink app to register it (necessary to make it work and charge properly).
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Scurly
Rep

Quote:
The mirrors can be coded in BimmerCode to fold on lock. Even when stuff powers off on the door open, which I also have mine do, I don't think it's the same as when it powers down when it locks. Did you try charging the battery yourself to see if it just needed charged? You could replace the battery yourself if it comes to that, then use the BimmerLink app to register it (necessary to make it work and charge properly).
BimmerCode said in mynG12, side folding doors cannot be coded. Oh well. You seem to know about this stuff than me. I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Have ever heard of a dealer voiding a warrantee because of bimmercoding ECUs? I'm sure they will show up when they run diagnostics, right? I did not try to charge or jump start. Just called BMW roadside to handle it. Maybe it just ended a recharge
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Actually, I guess that I had to code the mirrors on my 5 series, but on the 7 it's in the iDrive settings under vehicle settings, doors/key, scroll to the bottom and select gold mirrors in when locked.

I don't think any warranty would be voided from BimmerCode settings. Tuning the engine, yes, coding stuff like this should not be an issue. You can pay the dealer to do the coding, so clearly it's not a danger to the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Scurly
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I guess that I had to code the mirrors on my 5 series, but on the 7 it's in the iDrive settings under vehicle settings, doors/key, scroll to the bottom and select gold mirrors in when locked.

I don't think any warranty would be voided from BimmerCode settings. Tuning the engine, yes, coding stuff like this should not be an issue. You can pay the dealer to do the coding, so clearly it's not a danger to the car.
I'm not real pleased with number of ECU codes available for the G12, but it's nice to get the digital speedometer on comfort mode.

Any, thanks for the help. I will fight the dealership to the end if they don't cover a bad battery due to some BS about having to lock your car in your own garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
OP: don't have a heart attack. A battery in a 2016, if the original, could be dead even if the car was always locked. My experience is that at 4-5 years most batteries, even if properly maintained and with no unusual driving habits, will not have too much life in them. Yes, there are exceptions. You might get 6 or 7 years --- and you might get 3. You said the battery is "warranted". Is that under the original warranty or CPO? Or some other warranty you were able to get when you bought? I do not believe CPO would cover a wear and tear item like a battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurly View Post
First post so go easy on me.....just took my 2016 740i into my nearest U.S. dealership because battery dead this morning. Service guy said that "if" the diagnostic comes back and states the vehicle has been left unlocked "a lot" and battery needs to be replaced, then BMW won't cover it. Service guy said that the car thinks you will be back soon when the car isn't locked and keeps certain things running. Okay, I get that but after awhile, should the car shut down? Anyway, who locks their car when you pull into your locked, closed, security monitored garage...which is what we do. I will lose it...if BMW makes me pay for this warranted battery. Interested to hear some comments. Anyone heard of this? I am a new BMW owner and bought this car as a CPO. Love my car, but come on man!
This is the usual case where the car is capable of monitoring tons of statistics and having untrained non-engineer types misinterpreting the results.

Tell them to show you where in the warranty it says "car stays unlocked a lot" so premature battery failure is not covered.

If they press the issue then post a video here.

Me thinks they will back down right quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:55 PM   #10
Scurly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
OP: don't have a heart attack. A battery in a 2016, if the original, could be dead even if the car was always locked. My experience is that at 4-5 years most batteries, even if properly maintained and with no unusual driving habits, will not have too much life in them. Yes, there are exceptions. You might get 6 or 7 years --- and you might get 3. You said the battery is "warranted". Is that under the original warranty or CPO? Or some other warranty you were able to get when you bought? I do not believe CPO would cover a wear and tear item like a battery.
This was a CPO purchase. Car has 32k miles and is a 2016. Items like a defective or even a good battery should should be covered under a manufactured warrantee, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #11
Scurly
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Quote:
This is the usual case where the car is capable of monitoring tons of statistics and having untrained non-engineer types misinterpreting the results.

Tell them to show you where in the warranty it says "car stays unlocked a lot" so premature battery failure is not covered.

If they press the issue then post a video here.

Me thinks they will back down right quick.
So, in your estimation is the dealership playing a game of newbie BMW owner, so let's sell him blinker fluid? This was the same dealership who said I needed a full fuel injection service at 28k miles. Honestly, I find it very difficult to keep my composure with dealership service reps. I know the service manager, so he is my next step. None the less, this should not happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:34 AM   #12
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
But given that it will cause a battery drain why wouldn't you lock it? It takes all the effort of touching the door handle with your finger to lock and no more effort than opening your door to unlock?
      06-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This was a CPO purchase. Car has 32k miles and is a 2016. Items like a defective or even a good battery should should be covered under a manufactured warrantee, correct?
Yes, assuming the original four year warranty was still in effect. Not sure about CPO though. Sounds to me like you need to have a talk with the service manager, and perhaps the general manager.

As an aside, I had a MB C class wagon (bought used) whose battery died on me. Called roadside assistance and the tech said, "It's your lucky day. Today is the last day of your warranty coverage. Enjoy your new battery."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #14
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you don't want to lock your car in your garage (I don't), connect a good battery charger every month or so and let it run overnight. Even cars with electronics less sophisticated than current BMWs will not fully charge a battery on a diet of short trips. An occasional charge has been good practice for many years wth short trip cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #15
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If you're going to charge it, you'll want to use a charger that has a mode for AGM batteries. Snowflake mode on most CTEK chargers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you're going to charge it, you'll want to use a charger that has a mode for AGM batteries. Snowflake mode on most CTEK chargers.
Yes, CTEK or equivalent. I do it about every 6 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:23 AM   #17
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Sorry to jump back to your original post, however I feel that you have two arguments to put to your dealer here.

The first being that the car should not be drawing this much current when parked, locked or not.

However the more important one with regards the warranty is the behaviour of the battery and its ability to hold a charge.

You would be surprised how many dealers believe that as long as the battery is reading above 12v all is ok, however this is not the case.

A battery being charged on a car by the alternator should be reading in excess of 13.6v. When the engine is turned off, and the residual charge taken off the battery (used to be done by leaving the headlights on for 2 minutes (55w)). It should still read above 12.6v. If so, the battery would be deemed good.

If below 12.6v, you would go through a discharge and charge cycle and test again. If less than 12.2v it was a dud (as probably one or more of the plates had failed). If >12.2v and less than 12.6v, the cycle would be repeated, and action taken dependant upon the result as per above. It was black and white.

This was based on data from Hella (German battery manufacturer) and we used it a number of times in disputes with car dealers who initially refused to replace duff batteries. I am sure that data sheets will still be available somewhere, but I don’t have them anymore.

So in short, I think separating the two points may help your case.