BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #67
luv4greenleaves
Rep
Drives: 2014 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I made the mistake of buying a used 5.0 XJ before doing enough research to discover that Ford screwed up the water pump design. Mine failed big time on I-40 with enough residual heat to trash the motor. The problem was exacerbated by Jaguar damping (or trick f'ing) the temperature gauge to the point that it was easy to believe I had a sensor fault regarding coolant.

There were two attempts to change the motor and my SA advised I dump the car as that much disturbance of the wiring "often leads to issues". That was 100% true as the first time I tried to pick up the car it seems that somebody missed a vital motor ground connection.

I thought I was good to go as the car before the XJ was a 4.2 XKR which was faultless other than the usual Jaguar infotainment sensitivity to battery voltage. The only other thing wrong with the XKR was the state of the roads in the desert SW, if you get my drift.

My point in all this is to back up the OP in his assertion that a FLAGSHIP model should not exhibit these kinds of issues. It tarnishes the entire brand. You could not give me a V6 or V8 Jaguar with a pre-2015 water pump in it today.
My point exactly. Flagship my a$$
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #68
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4greenleaves View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I sympathize with the OP, but I can assure you as someone who has owned 4 Hondas, BMWs can be as reliable as Japanese cars with much better rust resistance, if you pick the right model. My E90 is bullet proof and is such a joy to drive. At best, the Hondas were decent to drive, but the BMW takes it to the next level.

You unfortunately, bought the most unreliable engine BMW ever made, bar none. They pushed new technology without having a proven design and you will be paying the price. The older 7 series used to be decently reliable.

Best advise is to sell it and buy a BMW with an inline 6. The V8s in all their incarnations over the years have had issues, but the older V8s non turbo charged had less issues. The NA inline 6s are bullet proof, and the N55 Turbo 6s onward are decently reliable. Just stay away from the N54. Good luck and happy motoring.

Unfortunately I have been told by many advisors that the 7 & 5 series bimmers are all like this. New or old. The only bulletproof car is the 3 series but at that price I'd save my money and go back to a camry. I've bought extended o for $3K and so far so good. I'm praying to God I never have to use it but I'm pretty sure I will. I love the car but the reliability is complete trash for a $130K car. My plan is to hold on for 3 more years and dump.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I sympathize with the OP, but I can assure you as someone who has owned 4 Hondas, BMWs can be as reliable as Japanese cars with much better rust resistance, if you pick the right model. My E90 is bullet proof and is such a joy to drive. At best, the Hondas were decent to drive, but the BMW takes it to the next level.

You unfortunately, bought the most unreliable engine BMW ever made, bar none. They pushed new technology without having a proven design and you will be paying the price. The older 7 series used to be decently reliable.

Best advise is to sell it and buy a BMW with an inline 6. The V8s in all their incarnations over the years have had issues, but the older V8s non turbo charged had less issues. The NA inline 6s are bullet proof, and the N55 Turbo 6s onward are decently reliable. Just stay away from the N54. Good luck and happy motoring.

Unfortunately I have been told by many advisors that the 7 & 5 series bimmers are all like this. New or old. The only bulletproof car is the 3 series but at that price I'd save my money and go back to a camry. I've bought extended o for $3K and so far so good. I'm praying to God I never have to use it but I'm pretty sure I will. I love the car but the reliability is complete trash for a $130K car. My plan is to hold on for 3 more years and dump.
That's not true, you can get the 5 series with the reliable 4 and 6 cylinder engine. Glad you got the warrantee enjoy it while you can
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #69
Trusnow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 740li xdrive

Garage List
I did extensive research prior to purchasing my 14 740i with xdrive. From all that I found the 750 just isn't reliable with their existing v8 powerplant. I've had my 740 now for 2 years and haven't had a problem. Just regular oil changes every 6 months and a replaced battery 6 months ago.

Sounds to me you got a lemon from all the issues your having. Get rid of it and maybe get into a 740 or a 535?
Kyngofpop676.00
      01-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #70
7sportplus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 7 series 750 LI

Quote:
First BMW ever I picked up is a 2014 750ix with 26K miles.. still under factory warranty and been in the shop for door handle, oxygen sensor, AC compressor, both high and low pressure fuel pumps, and injector#5...

Because I'm not very confident about the reliability and ever service advisor tells me don't own this 7 series without one I have to spend additional couple of thousands of dollars to get Extended Warranty as original ends in October.

Coming from Camrys and Maxima's I NEVER had one single issue in over 15 yrs.. sure I might of got a lemon but everyone I know who has or had a bimmer lives to eventually regret it..

With all of this how is this brand so popular? The cars are fun but having to be towed on an expressway in Chicago is not fun (believe me)....

This maybe my first and last BMW.. I don't get it....
I totally understand your situation. How can a car that cost approximately 100 k give so many issues. I'm baffled. The car is definitely fun while it is running and I think that is the only reason most of us stick through all of the issues. Mine had 70 k when engine failed and I also had to get it towed off of the freeway. Only had the car for 3 months . However, BMW is responsible because they shorted my car close to 3 quarts of oil.

Last edited by 7sportplus; 01-23-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #71
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I see many of these on the road today driving around... Funny I don't see many older BMWs...I wonder why??
I see more 20+ year old BMWs around here than Toyota rust buckets from the same era. How can that be?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 05:21 PM   #72
001BMW
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 750i xDrive

This entire thread, including the fact that the OP has the exact same car I just bought a little more than ten days ago with a little over 30k miles on it, has me wanting to chew my fingernails to the quick. Thank the Gods I had the good sense to get the extended warranty from the dealership, as well, based on everything I'm reading here...!

I pray I don't have NEAR the issues this poor gent has had. I traded in a 2009 BMW 750i for this "upgrade," and I had minimal problems with it clear up to the 129k mile mark at trade-in...
Appreciate 0