BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #1
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Incompatible Bin

Hi,

I went to the following link which was shared by one of the members to see if there are any updates for my car.

https://www.bmwusa.com/owners/software-updates.html

After entering my VIN number, I was advised of any update. Downloaded the Bin file on a USB drive. When I tried to update the software in the car, I received a message stating that the Bin is incompatible with my vehicle! Any ideas why this happened? I noticed the version number that I downloaded is low than the current one on the vehicle. I live in Canada, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Hi,

I went to the following link which was shared by one of the members to see if there are any updates for my car.

https://www.bmwusa.com/owners/software-updates.html

After entering my VIN number, I was advised of any update. Downloaded the Bin file on a USB drive. When I tried to update the software in the car, I received a message stating that the Bin is incompatible with my vehicle! Any ideas why this happened? I noticed the version number that I downloaded is low than the current one on the vehicle. I live in Canada, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any info is greatly appreciated.
That's been the case for many people in the US as well. I was excited to find a downloadable update, but sadly it was incompatible with either my '16 750 or '18 X3. It seems that BMW has done away with update via USB by owners at this point, at least in NA. The NAV maps will update OTA, but the rest of the software/firmware will not. If you bought your vehicle from a BMW dealer, they might be willing to update it for you, otherwise, you may have to pay a dealer to do it for you. In order for you to have Apple CarPlay, you need Fall '17 software or newer; for full-screen CarPlay, you need Fall '18 or newer.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Thanks for the reply. The car scheduled for tomorrow for my dealer to get it programmed. I will report if I see any difference.

Question on the maps and the car wifi. Does the wifi link to an iPhone to work and get any maps update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
That's been the case for many people in the US as well. I was excited to find a downloadable update, but sadly it was incompatible with either my '16 750 or '18 X3. It seems that BMW has done away with update via USB by owners at this point, at least in NA. The NAV maps will update OTA, but the rest of the software/firmware will not. If you bought your vehicle from a BMW dealer, they might be willing to update it for you, otherwise, you may have to pay a dealer to do it for you. In order for you to have Apple CarPlay, you need Fall '17 software or newer; for full-screen CarPlay, you need Fall '18 or newer.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Thanks for the reply. The car scheduled for tomorrow for my dealer to get it programmed. I will report if I see any difference.

Question on the maps and the car wifi. Does the wifi link to an iPhone to work and get any maps update?
No, the map is updated directly over-the-air without involving your phone. BMW provides free regional map update for 4 years. If you want to update the entire map data in your car, you can get a life-time fsc code (one-time purchase) online (can't install map updates without a valid fsc code associated with your VIN). NBT-Evo map updates are not available for free, either, and have to purchased separately.
After you update the car's software, then you will be able to add Apple CarPlay, which of course will always have up-to-date maps.
Appreciate 0