BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Classic BMW (Pre-2005 Models)

02-15-2024, 01:57 PM   #1
Erinra
Rep
Drives: F31, E46

Misfire and rough idle, e46

So I haven't driven my e46 330 all winter (although unfortunately my new garage isn't finished yet so it had to sit outside) and just fired it up and to my dispair it wasn't running as smoothly as it did last time.. The idle was rough going up and down so I read the diagnostic codes which said misfire cylinder 3, 4, 5 and also Fuel Control mixture.

So I just ordered some new sparkplugs (NGK) but what else should I check?

Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 06:35 PM   #2
Jturbo_M3
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

You should probably check the vacuum lines for any cracks, or leaks as that can cause misfires.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 06:43 PM   #3
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Also check the rubber intake boots for tears.
Especially the lower one.
There are I believe also some rubber caps that cap off some extra inlets for vacuum hoses at the back of the manifold that tend to disintergrate.
This indeed looks like a vacuum leak somewhere.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 01:12 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Misfire? Plugs coils injectors first.
      02-16-2024, 05:16 PM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

I think someting with plugs/coils/injectors would throw a more specific code to 1 cylinder.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 08:18 AM   #6
TriumphTim
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

All of the above sounds good but I would clear the codes and run some fresh gas with injector cleaner or water remover first.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 02:46 PM   #7
Erinra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jturbo_M3 View Post
You should probably check the vacuum lines for any cracks, or leaks as that can cause misfires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Also check the rubber intake boots for tears.
Especially the lower one.
There are I believe also some rubber caps that cap off some extra inlets for vacuum hoses at the back of the manifold that tend to disintergrate.
This indeed looks like a vacuum leak somewhere.
Thanks for the replies, I've just got ahold of a new CCV set which I will replace tomorrow (11617533400, 11617533398, 11617533399, 11157532629, 11617504536).
Also the rubber boot (13541438761) and the tube elbow (13541438759).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Misfire? Plugs coils injectors first.
Quote:
I think someting with plugs/coils/injectors would throw a more specific code to 1 cylinder.
I replaced the sparkplugs and I'll post some pictures later, I think the coils looked fine, but maybe a defective coil isnt visable to the naked eye?

(I tried starting the engine after replacing the sparkplugs but It was to no avail but I guess they needed replacing anyway since I don't know the last time they we're replaced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphTim View Post
All of the above sounds good but I would clear the codes and run some fresh gas with injector cleaner or water remover first.
Oh yeah, Thanks for this tip, I'll get some fuel additive to, it wont harm.

I'm also going to clean the MAF since I'm removing the boots anyway.

I cleaned the codes with a simple ELM327 and phone app, maybe I'll have to plug in my BMW 1.4 scanner and my laptop..

Anything else I missed so far?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:54 PM   #8
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinra View Post
You can locate vacuum leaks by spraying some brake cleaner localized on rubber parts. Where there is a leak, the brake cleaner is sucked inside and burned, raising the RPM slightly.
Obviously be careful with this method and don't do this with a hot engine and hot exaust and spray in the direction of the hot exhaust as brake cleaner is obviously very flammable....

Another way is by injecting smoke into the inlet system by a specialized smoke machine (inlet has to be capped off).
Where the smoke comes out, there is your leak. However this requires that special smoke machine, which is a fairly expensive tool.

The rubber blind caps on the inlet manifold that can perish I was talking about are #15 and #17 in the link below
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4...nifold_system/

The O ring of the air inlet temperature sensor can potentially also leak, however this is less common. I think the lower intake boot is the usual culprit. A tear there causes a significant size of a leak

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-18-2024 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:49 PM   #9
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, I've just got ahold of a new CCV set which I will replace tomorrow (11617533400, 11617533398, 11617533399, 11157532629, 11617504536).
Also the rubber boot (13541438761) and the tube elbow (13541438759).

I replaced the sparkplugs and I'll post some pictures later, I think the coils looked fine, but maybe a defective coil isnt visable to the naked eye?

(I tried starting the engine after replacing the sparkplugs but It was to no avail but I guess they needed replacing anyway since I don't know the last time they we're replaced)

Oh yeah, Thanks for this tip, I'll get some fuel additive to, it wont harm.

I'm also going to clean the MAF since I'm removing the boots anyway.

I cleaned the codes with a simple ELM327 and phone app, maybe I'll have to plug in my BMW 1.4 scanner and my laptop..

Like I always tell people, the MAF sensor connector wires break on these engines. You can buy a kit to replace the connector quite easily. All my random codes I chased for years have vanished after replacing it. Car no longer hunts for idle at start up. Just a thought for you if you can't trace the issue down.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:46 PM   #10
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

If the maf sensor wires are broken, that would be really easy to diagnose.
Just read out the amount of airflow and see if that's a plausible value. Unplugging and plugging in the MAF would make no difference in this readout.
For me, this is the first time I hear of this being an issue on the m54.

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-18-2024 at 10:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:47 AM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
looked fine, but maybe a defective coil isnt visable to the naked eye?
No they're usually not, and they are a common failure point for M52/M54 engines. I used to swap a coil from a known good cylinder to troubleshoot and confirm a bad coil.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:08 AM   #12
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If the maf sensor wires are broken, that would be really easy to diagnose.
Just read out the amount of airflow and see if that's a plausible value. Unplugging and plugging in the MAF would make no difference in this readout.
For me, this is the first time I hear of this being an issue on the m54.
Mine weren't fully broken, they become loose in the pins and lose contact intermittently. Made it much harder to track down and drove me nuts for the longest while.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:32 PM   #13
Erinra
Rep

Quote:
You can locate vacuum leaks by spraying some brake cleaner localized on rubber parts. Where there is a leak, the brake cleaner is sucked inside and burned, raising the RPM slightly.
Obviously be careful with this method and don't do this with a hot engine and hot exaust and spray in the direction of the hot exhaust as brake cleaner is obviously very flammable....

Another way is by injecting smoke into the inlet system by a specialized smoke machine (inlet has to be capped off).
Where the smoke comes out, there is your leak. However this requires that special smoke machine, which is a fairly expensive tool.

The rubber blind caps on the inlet manifold that can perish I was talking about are #15 and #17 in the link below
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4...nifold_system/

The O ring of the air inlet temperature sensor can potentially also leak, however this is less common. I think the lower intake boot is the usual culprit. A tear there causes a significant size of a leak

Update:
I've now changed the CCV parts and also the two parts on the intake boot (yes they both had tears). I also cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner. Changed Oil, Oilfilter, Airfilter, (Already changed the sparkplugs) and also added some fuel additive to remove any water in the gas.

The car now starts and runs but I can tell its not running smooth on idle, I cleaned the engine codes and the ones I get now are the following:

P0171, P0174, P1083, P1347 and P0056..

I'm guessing I've got a leak somewhere else. I've yet to check #15 and #17 on the inlet manifold.
The oring on the dipstick tube was toast so I've got the get a new one for that. I'll get one for the intake sensor to, might just as well buy a kit of orings.

Also I found this cable behind the DISA that was not connected to anything and I could not find where to connect it? Does anyone know what it is and where it should go? (Pics comming soon)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 12:44 PM   #14
Erinra
Rep

The cable I mentioned.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:03 PM   #15
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The cable I mentioned.
If I remember right that is a diag port on the M54. Did it look like it had been plugged in or is it dirty inside?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:20 PM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Looks to me either the disa connector or the fuel tank breather valve connector.
Those are both 2 pin. (If I'm not mistaken, I see the connector on your disa not having a plug in it....or does that lay somewhere else?)
Normally the plug for the disa (and some other plugs) look a bit different as they have a cap on top of it, but with this plug it looks like some plastic parts broke off?

Idle control valve also sits there but I think that's 3 pin.
I believe there's also an electric valve between the air pump and inlet manifold. That might also be a 2 pin connector.
And there's a temperature sensor in the inlet manifold, also 2 pin in that shape, but the cable looks a bit short for that.
And the crank sensor also sits there, but I think that's a different shape connector (but also 2 pin I believe).

And it's difficult to see how long that wire is, but if it can route the other way, it could also be the oil pressure sensor or intake vanos relais.

So take your pick...

I put an arrow at your disa connector that misses it's plug....

I don't know if that'll solve all your codes though....

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-20-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:10 PM   #17
Erinra
Rep

To me everything seems to be plugged in, Idle control valve, DISA, EVAP, throttle body. I'll get a better picture later.

It's definitely not that long, it had no room to fit any other connector. From the small clip it had only a couple of inches the most I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #18
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
The cable I mentioned.
I believe that connector is for the ICV.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 02-20-2024 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: Removed already suggested possible issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 03:22 PM   #19
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

There's also a water temp sensor low at the back of the cylinder head
Appreciate 0