BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
LOL_AMG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 7 Series

Issues with 22s

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I was just at BMW having the M performance grills being installed and I was discussing that I just purchased 22s and they would be installed Friday, then the tech said they had another 2016 7 series in that was throwing errors from having 22s and not being able to level the suspension or something along those lines. Has anyone put 22s on yet and had any issues? I can't imagine adding a 1 inch bigger rim than stock would throw errors.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
M4chiavellif82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BEE-EM-DUBLOO M4

I do not get it. if the variance is very little, all it would do is go bigger wheels and lower profile tires (meaning the rolling diameter) unchanged how would it affect the level of suspension. I have had other cars with air suspension and I changed to 22s and had no issues. I would like to know more as perhaps I can learn something new.

Thanks!
M Rosso
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

22" Diameter wheels are highly unlikely to be the cause if not impossible by themselves. Tires however are more likely as is the installation event. Significant change in the overall tire diameter, improper TPMS Sensors, improper wheel change procedures, or failure to properly initialize TPMS are likely to trigger suspension faults.

Two Axle Air Suspension isn't anything new to the industry nor to BMW Group. Previous generation Land Rover/Range Rover models developed by BMW, LCI E53 X5, and all Rolls Royce since the Phantom have had it as an option or standard equipment.

G11/12 do add some new functions however and rely heavily on other vehicle systems. TPMS and DSC are the two significant ones. One specific feature comes from the direct interaction with TPMS. If a tire begins to deflate or loses all air pressure, the suspension will compensate to reduce the load on the affected tire. At the same time DSC and EPS will adapt to avoid unsafe handling characteristics. As a backup to or separately from TPMS, individual wheel speed sensors through DSC can trigger alternate or failure operating modes of the suspension system.

There are several wheel change and TPMS procedures that cover one or more scenarios to reduce the chance of a fault, but they do have to be followed accordingly and completely.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

22's are a MUST on these "big German sedans". Anything else looks 'dainty'. I'm sure with the due diligence, you'll be good to go. Interested in your shoe selection...?
      03-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
LOL_AMG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 7 Series

I purchased niche - misano 22s they should be installed tomorrow.
Appreciate 0