BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #441
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/envi...imate-n1076851

Opps

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #442
adc100
Major
1004
Rep
1,269
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Meh..the Deniers pulled this same trick



http://ossfoundation.us/projects/env...ncing-evidence

"To participate in the petition one only needs to mark a check box to show that one has a Ph.D., M.S., or B.S. degree, and then fill in the fields. Unfortunately, that means that anyone can sign the petition, whether they have a degree or not."
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #443
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Meh..the Deniers pulled this same trick



http://ossfoundation.us/projects/env...ncing-evidence

"To participate in the petition one only needs to mark a check box to show that one has a Ph.D., M.S., or B.S. degree, and then fill in the fields. Unfortunately, that means that anyone can sign the petition, whether they have a degree or not."
How many major outlet reported it and took it as gospel?
Appreciate 3
Poiseuille3159.50
arkie6348.00
N54Yankee1633.50

      11-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #444
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
3160
Rep
2,666
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
TomHudson500.00
MKSixer15454.50

      11-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #445
Poiseuille
Colonel
Poiseuille's Avatar
United_States
3160
Rep
2,666
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Princeton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers 71 View Post
Extinction Rebellion protesters in London dragged from tube train roof by angry commuters.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MOBzWObKYZKWJI

Tens of thousands of people inconvenienced by these self righteous pricks
sadly, the Nielsen TV Ratings system was unable to provide us with audio of the millions of American viewers cheering as that sanctimonious shitforbrains was dragged from the train roof disappearing beneath the feet of an angry mob of sane people.
Appreciate 3
      11-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #446
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
sadly, the Nielsen TV Ratings system was unable to provide us with audio of the millions of American viewers cheering as that sanctimonious shitforbrains was dragged from the train roof disappearing beneath the feet of an angry mob of sane people.
he's going to have a bad time
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #447
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1606
Rep
2,417
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
.
Iím not convinced that building and using electric vehicles is any more clean than gas vehicles. Besides mining and stripping the earth, creating terrible runoff issues, chemical processes in creating higher capacity batteries and then using the grid (running off coal in many cases) to refuel is much better than gas cars. And the rare earths required are just that. So what happens when everyone wants an EV? Donít we run out of raw materials to do so unless we can use something else? We are just shifting where the pollution occurs.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille3159.50

      11-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #448
Zugzwang
Colonel
Canada
1154
Rep
2,594
Posts

Drives: 2018 x35d M-Sport + 2013 X-35d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Iím not convinced that building and using electric vehicles is any more clean than gas vehicles. Besides mining and stripping the earth, creating terrible runoff issues, chemical processes in creating higher capacity batteries and then using the grid (running off coal in many cases) to refuel is much better than gas cars. And the rare earths required are just that. So what happens when everyone wants an EV? Donít we run out of raw materials to do so unless we can use something else? We are just shifting where the pollution occurs.
Picture everybody driving their evís home after work. Then they plug it in to charge. Turn on their electric ovens and air cons. Tv turns on.

Add in all those cars to an existing grid that can barely handle what its got and you will see it pop.

Things wont change. Gas stations will also become ev stations with three grades of charge for three prices. Small charge, medium charge and full charge.

Nothing will change.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #449
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
///M4ster Yoda's Avatar
2991
Rep
3,529
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I’m not convinced that building and using electric vehicles is any more clean than gas vehicles. Besides mining and stripping the earth, creating terrible runoff issues, chemical processes in creating higher capacity batteries and then using the grid (running off coal in many cases) to refuel is much better than gas cars. And the rare earths required are just that. So what happens when everyone wants an EV? Don’t we run out of raw materials to do so unless we can use something else? We are just shifting where the pollution occurs.
Picture everybody driving their ev’s home after work. Then they plug it in to charge. Turn on their electric ovens and air cons. Tv turns on.

Add in all those cars to an existing grid that can barely handle what its got and you will see it pop.

Things wont change. Gas stations will also become ev stations with three grades of charge for three prices. Small charge, medium charge and full charge.

Nothing will change.
The only thing that will change is who makes the money. Isn't that what this and everything else as always about.
__________________
'03 330 '04 325 '08 328 '11 335 '11 335is
'14 335 '16 340 '16 M4 (Retired)
4 ED's 1 PCD
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 2
Zugzwang1154.00
arkie6348.00

      11-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #450
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
8118
Rep
7,533
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Meh..the Deniers pulled this same trick



http://ossfoundation.us/projects/env...ncing-evidence

"To participate in the petition one only needs to mark a check box to show that one has a Ph.D., M.S., or B.S. degree, and then fill in the fields. Unfortunately, that means that anyone can sign the petition, whether they have a degree or not."
I have an MS from USC, where do I weigh in???
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:14 AM   #451
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

And the faulty model continue to fail

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2019GL084385
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #452
adc100
Major
1004
Rep
1,269
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
And the faulty model continue to fail

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2019GL084385
You obviously got excited by the phrase "We examined the amplified Arctic warming over the past century simulated by 36 state‐of‐the‐art GCMs against observation. We found a clear difference between the simulations and the observation in terms of the evolution of the secular warming rates. "

Let me help ya here:

1. This is an abstract only.
2. It represents the opinion of one individual research effort
3. It merely indicates that the contribution to GW by the warming of the Arctic "MAY" be insignificant.
4. The key point though is that the Arctic is Warming and so is the planet. (You probably didn't digest that)

Honestly, you have no background to argue against the causes of MMGW. But it is certainly OK to express an opinion.

I have already given you the name of a book that explains causes of GW ("The Story of Earth"- Hazen)
A somewhat shorter book covering the Pleistocene Ice Age ... "Frozen Earth" by Macdougall is excelent. I realize you won't read it but its a recommendation to others who are actually open to learning.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #453
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
You obviously got excited by the phrase "We examined the amplified Arctic warming over the past century simulated by 36 state‐of‐the‐art GCMs against observation. We found a clear difference between the simulations and the observation in terms of the evolution of the secular warming rates. "

Let me help ya here:

1. This is an abstract only.
2. It represents the opinion of one individual research effort
3. It merely indicates that the contribution to GW by the warming of the Arctic "MAY" be insignificant.
4. The key point though is that the Arctic is Warming and so is the planet. (You probably didn't digest that)

Honestly, you have no background to argue against the causes of MMGW. But it is certainly OK to express an opinion.

I have already given you the name of a book that explains causes of GW ("The Story of Earth"- Hazen)
A somewhat shorter book covering the Pleistocene Ice Age ... "Frozen Earth" by Macdougall is excelent. I realize you won't read it but its a recommendation to others who are actually open to learning.
Half of the global warming projected is in the arctic, so if the model are extremely overestimating it what is the alarm. This combine with the Havard study last month on sea surface temperature data also being horrible wrong and tamper with to fit the model all i got to say is.
Drip
Drip
Drip
MM climate forcing hoax is slowly unraveling.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #454
TheWatchGuy
Lieutenant Colonel
TheWatchGuy's Avatar
2031
Rep
1,576
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I’m not convinced that building and using electric vehicles is any more clean than gas vehicles. Besides mining and stripping the earth, creating terrible runoff issues, chemical processes in creating higher capacity batteries and then using the grid (running off coal in many cases) to refuel is much better than gas cars. And the rare earths required are just that. So what happens when everyone wants an EV? Don’t we run out of raw materials to do so unless we can use something else? We are just shifting where the pollution occurs.
Its just shifting the pollution causes from big bad oil and gas to "environmentally friendly" "green" energy companies, most of which are ran and funded by big bad oil and gas companies. No real change, just shifting who is to blame. The bad thing is, we have a pretty good idea of Fossil Fuel Pollution, how to mitigate it, and how to correct it. We havent been messing with these "green" sources long enough to fully understand what things like battery mining/production/disposal can do to the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zugzwang View Post
Picture everybody driving their ev’s home after work. Then they plug it in to charge. Turn on their electric ovens and air cons. Tv turns on.

Add in all those cars to an existing grid that can barely handle what its got and you will see it pop.

Things wont change. Gas stations will also become ev stations with three grades of charge for three prices. Small charge, medium charge and full charge.

Nothing will change.
The grid will fail, the renewable sources will not be able to keep up, and more efficient sources of energy will be utilized; Nuclear & Fossil Fuels. And since everyone is scared of Nuclear, Fossil Fuels here we come.
__________________
@drunkcowatches on ig

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #455
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

https://www.helsinki.fi/en/news/life...sed-scientists

Lol now we got to kill all the trees or they have to admit that the greenhouse gas was much higher back when the planet was cover in trees.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #456
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
8118
Rep
7,533
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
https://www.helsinki.fi/en/news/life...sed-scientists

Lol now we got to kill all the trees or they have to admit that the greenhouse gas was much higher back when the planet was cover in trees.
Paper bags are BACK!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #457
adc100
Major
1004
Rep
1,269
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
https://www.helsinki.fi/en/news/life...sed-scientists

Lol now we got to kill all the trees or they have to admit that the greenhouse gas was much higher back when the planet was cover in trees.
As usual you missed a few issues and did not look as the big picture:

In other words, the forest is efficient in recycling by breaking up organic matter found in the soil and releasing nitrogen in a form useable by plants, which trees then use for growing.E]ventually, the nitrogen is returned to the soil in the form of needle and leaf litter. A small portion of the recycled nitrogen ends up in the atmosphere as nitrous oxide, either directly from the soil or transported from the soil by trees.


And there is no quantitative answer on the amount of NO is put out by ALL trees in the Whole Planet.

"As there are no other studies published on the seasonal variation of the N2O exchange of trees, there is a great global demand for further research."

And of course you did not bother to check that NO released by trees is not even listed in importance of the GAS. The overwhelming majority is released by man.

And in the grand scheme of things NO is less than 1% of the CO2 impact. Again another "Word Bite" that is irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #458
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
8118
Rep
7,533
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
As usual you missed a few issues and did not look as the big picture:

In other words, the forest is efficient in recycling by breaking up organic matter found in the soil and releasing nitrogen in a form useable by plants, which trees then use for growing.E]ventually, the nitrogen is returned to the soil in the form of needle and leaf litter. A small portion of the recycled nitrogen ends up in the atmosphere as nitrous oxide, either directly from the soil or transported from the soil by trees.


And there is no quantitative answer on the amount of NO is put out by ALL trees in the Whole Planet.

"As there are no other studies published on the seasonal variation of the N2O exchange of trees, there is a great global demand for further research."

And of course you did not bother to check that NO released by trees is not even listed in importance of the GAS. The overwhelming majority is released by man.

And in the grand scheme of things NO is less than 1% of the CO2 impact. Again another "Word Bite" that is irrelevant.
Doesn't this point to just how LITTLE we actually understand cause/effect relationships in the global climate change arena??? ASSuming you say yes, how do we go about proposing regulations to curb it, when we don't really know what IT is???

You're a good scientist, leaving us with more questions as we get answers.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #459
adc100
Major
1004
Rep
1,269
Posts

Drives: 2018 Forester XT
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Elizabethtown PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Doesn't this point to just how LITTLE we actually understand cause/effect relationships in the global climate change arena??? ASSuming you say yes, how do we go about proposing regulations to curb it, when we don't really know what IT is???

You're a good scientist, leaving us with more questions as we get answers.
Actually. There is little point in trying to stop it. Its not affordable and our world economy depends on burning of fossil fuels.

As more and more people inhabit the earth and more and more rain forests get destroyed at a time when more fossil fuels are burned its a losing battle. Some problems have no solution and this is one of them. Even if we cut our carbon footprint in half the CO2 would change very little in the coming centuries.

CO2 levels during the Pleistocene Epoch ranged from 170 to 300 pppm. From 1880 to today it climbed from 300 ppm to over 400 ppm. Really nothing can change it.

In the past it varied because of alternating glaciers and plant growth. The rising of mountains led to weathering of rock which sequestered CO2 and reduced these levels. But these incremental changes took thousands to change CO2 levels by very small amounts.

Again well explained in "Frozen Earth" :cheers:
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #460
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
1741
Rep
4,836
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Ezra Levant...quite the source for factual news.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #461
NormanConquest
Colonel
1508
Rep
2,334
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Ezra Levant...quite the source for factual news.
What part of his report is false?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #462
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
8118
Rep
7,533
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc100 View Post
Actually. There is little point in trying to stop it. Its not affordable and our world economy depends on burning of fossil fuels.

As more and more people inhabit the earth and more and more rain forests get destroyed at a time when more fossil fuels are burned its a losing battle. Some problems have no solution and this is one of them. Even if we cut our carbon footprint in half the CO2 would change very little in the coming centuries.

CO2 levels during the Pleistocene Epoch ranged from 170 to 300 pppm. From 1880 to today it climbed from 300 ppm to over 400 ppm. Really nothing can change it.

In the past it varied because of alternating glaciers and plant growth. The rising of mountains led to weathering of rock which sequestered CO2 and reduced these levels. But these incremental changes took thousands to change CO2 levels by very small amounts.

Again well explained in "Frozen Earth" :cheers:
I STILL remember (you know memory and old people aren't always used in the same sentence) back in late grade school/middle school having this image in my head of a hole in the atmosphere, with a big vacuum sucking all the pollution out of it. I have a bit of faith left that technology can still come up with a resonable way to scrub the CO2 to a level that we desire. Again, the challenge is: how many do we want? 200? 300? 267.358?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST