BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

02-22-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
Holomatrix7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A Car

Question re the Mild Hybrid nonsense

This might seem to some like a stupid question, but I think it is valid given that the 740i mild hybrid (MH) is doing little more than adding weight by carrying aroung the 48 volt system - and that leaves aside that the car becomes a very expensive brick when the 48v battery decides to crap out.

Has anyone looked at how to 'delete' the MH components and just return it to being a normal 740i like my 2020 G12 that doesn't actually have an MH system in it?

There must be a way. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of these new 740i/750i MH vehicles sitting around dead waiting for expensive replacement batteries in 5-7 years (which on our parts list here are around $7,000). I know that in USA and AUS that straight ICE versions of vehicles are now having better resale values at the 5 year mark because people are waking up to the issue of expensive MH battery costs.
Appreciate 0