BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-13-2024, 05:53 AM   #1
gramezza
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i

Big engine problems??

Hi everyone. Without going into massive detail I recently bought my 750i from a dealership.

The moment I got into the car to drive away after paying for it, the engine management light was on. I went back in and he took the car away to "fix" it.

I'm not naive enough to think that he did anything other than wipe the warning light rather than fix it but I felt reassured with a warranty so thought I'd just follow up with them.

Anyway I took it to a garage yesterday for the fault to be diagnosed. The main ones are:
123439 electrical wastegate valve - adaptation: bottom limit position
130713 VANOS Solenoid valve, inlet - position not reached
130714 VANOS Solenoid valve, exhaust - position not reached
130715 VANOS Solenoid valve, inlet - camshaft jammed

There were also similar ones for engine slave (DME/DDE)
130704 VANOS Solenoid valve, exhaust 2 - camshaft jammed
130708 VANOS Solenoid valve, exhaust 2 - position not reached

Im guessing these codes are all part of the same problem. The mechanic said it may be something to do with the timing chain which may be confirmed with an occasional rough idle. The car otherwise drives perfectly fine.

Unfortunately the garage said they were not in a position to repair the car yet with their workload but at least I have a diagnostic to take away.

I'm having trouble getting in touch with the dealership and discuss my rights under the Consumer Rights Act. I actually really like the car so I just want them to repair it although I'm conscious they'll just refund me then sell it onto someone else.

Anyway my question is whether anyone has had similar issues and/or recognises these fault codes and can provide any insight.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 02:43 PM   #2
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

This thread looks very similar to your symptoms. Perhaps have the car updated and go from there.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 05:06 AM   #3
gramezza
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
This thread looks very similar to your symptoms. Perhaps have the car updated and go from there.
I hope that's right as it wouldn't be too much of a costly fix but there are a couple of error codes showing on my diagnostic that aren't showing on that thread/document, plus that only mentions G12 whereas mine is the G11.

I'm hoping it could be something as simple as that but I'm not so sure now.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:52 AM   #4
F90bmwmastertech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 Comp

The thread that was linked was for the b58 and OP has a n63.

Either way,

Get the car programmed with the latest software, if the problem persists it likely needs the vanos solenoids. Not too terribly common but not uncommon either. Timing chains have not been an issue on the updated g12 n63tu2 motor
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2024, 11:48 AM   #5
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90bmwmastertech View Post
The thread that was linked was for the b58 and OP has a n63.

Either way,

Get the car programmed with the latest software, if the problem persists it likely needs the vanos solenoids. Not too terribly common but not uncommon either. Timing chains have not been an issue on the updated g12 n63tu2 motor
Thanks for clarifying that. I posted in a hurry and it slipped my attention.

Do you know what is the cause of the failure of those valves? Really odd to see three out of four valves failed without common denominator. Also, aren't these the valves that are being screwed in from behind the vanos units and require engine timing afterwards? Perhaps someone already touched these and didn't time the engine.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2024, 06:04 AM   #6
F90bmwmastertech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. I posted in a hurry and it slipped my attention.

Do you know what is the cause of the failure of those valves? Really odd to see three out of four valves failed without common denominator. Also, aren't these the valves that are being screwed in from behind the vanos units and require engine timing afterwards? Perhaps someone already touched these and didn't time the engine.
No theyre just a solenoid that controls oil flow to the vanos central bolt. they do not require the engine to be timed to replaced. The charge air coolers come off and they are easily accessible. Again the dme software is the most likely culprit but the valves do fail as well as possibly wrong oil/old contaminated oil can clog the solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 03:12 PM   #7
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F90bmwmastertech View Post
No theyre just a solenoid that controls oil flow to the vanos central bolt. they do not require the engine to be timed to replaced. The charge air coolers come off and they are easily accessible. Again the dme software is the most likely culprit but the valves do fail as well as possibly wrong oil/old contaminated oil can clog the solenoids.
Ah, I see, you are referring to solenoid actuators. I thought you were talking about vanos central valves that facilitate camshaft mounting and oil distribution. Wouldn't these central valves be the main suspect in oil contamination case, seeing as these have integrated filter mesh and and plunger in those valves handle the oil flow. Solenoid actuator does nothing more than move central valve's plunger with its piston.
Appreciate 0