BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #1
emre35
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz CLS 350d C257

Confused between 740d, S450 and X7

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well. This is my first time in BMW forum and I need your advices regarding to my new car purchase.

I recently have a 2018(I assume 2019 in US) Mercedes CLS 350d and after more than 5 years of ownership I am looking for a new car. Initially I was only considering to buy Mercedes S Class probably a S 450 with petrol engine. It was definitely my dream and I have only owned Mercedes's for my all life. However, many new Mercedes owners aren't happy with their experiences and that creates lots of doubts in my mind. For that reason, I am also considering 740d and X7 40d too and I like them very much. In fact, I have just seen one 740d of a car rental company and i found it really charming. Also, when I checked the Bimmerpost forum, I see considerably less complaints on 7 series. I also had a chance to observe a fully loaded 740d in a dealer on Cologne and it seems to have better built and material quality than w223 S-Class. Also X7 has the same aspects just mentioned too. In the contrary I saw lots of cheap hard plastic in GLS (just writing to compare).

For that reason, may I ask how are or was your experiences with 7 series and would you recommend it? Your car don't necessarily need to be an 740d and any comments on G70 7 series to make up my mind will be greatly appreciated.

Wish you a nice day
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2024, 12:06 PM   #2
bigdeal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328icp

I considered the X7 before getting my 750e, but I opted for the sedan for the ride quality and comfort. I did compare the S class and 7, you get a lot more for your money with the 7 series. I would get the S class if were to be chauffeured all the time, but if you want a car that is fun to drive with high end luxury and build quality I would go for the 7. I would however recommend the Hybrid 750e or 760e you get more horse power and smooth quiet ride.
Appreciate 1
emre351.50
      04-12-2024, 12:18 PM   #3
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

I haven’t tried the 6 cylinder 7 but I have the i7 and other than the propulsion everything else is exactly the same and I love my car. Everyone that sees it or sits in it is also amazed. I was obsessed with getting the S580 when it came out but drove one with 20,000 miles and it felt like 100,000! Creaks and squeaks with dash, console, suspension etc. tried the 7 and it was game over. Way better design too. The s class looks the same for the last 3 model versions but the new 7 is bold and doesn’t look like any other BMW. S class looks exactly like an e class. Classy and timeless yes but maybe a little boring compared to the new 7. I think the 7 has finally caught the S and maybe surpassed it this time.
The tech, comfort, build and quality are second to none. I doubt you would have any regrets. I have the first year release with no issues and assume year 2 or 3 is even better with any issues ironed out. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003995.50
emre351.50
      04-12-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

hello into the north!

ha, same here... been mercedes for a very long time, still have my toy car but for every day use it's the i7...

what bmw has become more luxurious in the G70, mercedes has become more sporty. i had a look at the GLS - that's like 2020 tech, gone... G class same... X7 seems also reduced in some capabilities compared to the G70

for me, the new S feels like a C or E, the screen is really at the wrong place and i didn't feel comfy sitting in it (you know, like at home on the couch).

regarding the G70:

- eSIM is still a problem here... telco/bmw not able to fix it properly
- the subwoofer in the i7 is in the trunk making the car sound like a cheaply tuned golf
- the care is huge! depending on your parking habits you might get issues
- the OS is kind of intuitive although there are some drawbacks and stupidites
- the sun burns through the windows (compared to my old S) and the all glass roof heats up
- trunk is smaller and not very convenient

to note as mercedes driver:
- the trunk switch works the opposite...
- the right side mirror lowering angle can't be programmed when driving in reverse
- sunshade on the back can't be risen with the window buttons

-> make sure you get one with active roll stabilisation!

i for myself didn't have any major issues or troubles. had it for 8 month and done 15'000km. would i buy it again? yes, absolutely!

hope that helps
Appreciate 1
emre351.50
      04-12-2024, 01:15 PM   #5
Jaywin
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingtaser View Post
hello into the north!

ha, same here... been mercedes for a very long time, still have my toy car but for every day use it's the i7...

what bmw has become more luxurious in the G70, mercedes has become more sporty. i had a look at the GLS - that's like 2020 tech, gone... G class same... X7 seems also reduced in some capabilities compared to the G70

for me, the new S feels like a C or E, the screen is really at the wrong place and i didn't feel comfy sitting in it (you know, like at home on the couch).

regarding the G70:

- the subwoofer in the i7 is in the trunk making the car sound like a cheaply tuned golf
- the sun burns through the windows (compared to my old S) and the all glass roof heats up

- the right side mirror lowering angle can't be programmed when driving in reverse

i for myself didn't have any major issues or troubles. had it for 8 month and done 15'000km. would i buy it again? yes, absolutely!

hope that helps
The mirror can be automatically lowered when reversing if you put the mirror adjustment into opposite direction. Yes. It's counter intuitive
Appreciate 1
emre351.50
      04-12-2024, 02:58 PM   #6
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywin View Post
The mirror can be automatically lowered when reversing if you put the mirror adjustment into opposite direction. Yes. It's counter intuitive
i call this retarded... yes, but you can't customize the angle (my 2008 SL can do that...). it's one angle fits all...

also, if you want to adjust manually you first have to switch to the right mirror - and it will go up before you can adjust.

about the navigation: you can't select POI's, it's either all POI's or none... no categories... especially in an electric car i don't need to see gas stations...

some small things are just not thought through

oh, and this:
you have some USB C sockets, they deliver only 2A at 5V - no QC or PD, so no charging the laptop.
no 230V AC - and the 12V (max 140W or 150W) socket is within the armrest.
there is none in the back and none in the trunk...
Appreciate 1
emre351.50
      04-12-2024, 08:37 PM   #7
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Beach View Post
I was obsessed with getting the S580 when it came out but drove one with 20,000 miles and it felt like 100,000! Creaks and squeaks with dash, console, suspension etc.
We have had several modern (newer) S-Classes and very quickly they rattle, creak, squeak and feel OLD

80s and 90s S-Classes felt like bank vaults, but from 2000 to now...Mercedes is a shell of its former self, and BMW feels like MBZ used to
Appreciate 1
emre351.50
      04-12-2024, 09:28 PM   #8
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

My 2020 S560 is totally solid at 50k miles, no creaks or rattles…but the new W223 S Class is a different story. I absolutely believe the G70 is a better overall car than the W223 S Class. I prefer the classic looks of the S, but everything else is better in the 7, interior is much better.
Appreciate 2
emre351.50
deutsch1003995.50
      04-13-2024, 10:29 AM   #9
emre35
Registered
Rep

Thank you so much for all your answers! I already got quite an impression on G70.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
I considered the X7 before getting my 750e, but I opted for the sedan for the ride quality and comfort. I did compare the S class and 7, you get a lot more for your money with the 7 series. I would get the S class if were to be chauffeured all the time, but if you want a car that is fun to drive with high end luxury and build quality I would go for the 7. I would however recommend the Hybrid 750e or 760e you get more horse power and smooth quiet ride.
I have also considered the 750e but, in my area charging is bit of problem and I wouldn't like to get stressed just because of that. Also, I extensively make long distance journeys that some of are around 700 miles per day. In addition to that, I have concerns on regenerative breaking. How does it work in 750e? Same as EV's or more different?

Quote:
hello into the north!

regarding the G70:

hope that helps
Thank you! and it was very helpful for e-sim I should ask the fellow g70 drivers in Germany to see if they have same problem as US. For the sunshade I was actually pretty surprised. Today I watched the Matt Watsons review on 7 as potential buyer and BMW 7 seems less practical than S class by the means of practicality to operate the vehicle but, I still have very much appetite for 7

Quote:
i call this retarded... yes, but you can't customize the angle (my 2008 SL can do that...). it's one angle fits all...

also, if you want to adjust manually you first have to switch to the right mirror - and it will go up before you can adjust.

about the navigation: you can't select POI's, it's either all POI's or none... no categories... especially in an electric car i don't need to see gas stations...

some small things are just not thought through

oh, and this:
you have some USB C sockets, they deliver only 2A at 5V - no QC or PD, so no charging the laptop.
no 230V AC - and the 12V (max 140W or 150W) socket is within the armrest.
there is none in the back and none in the trunk...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
We have had several modern (newer) S-Classes and very quickly they rattle, creak, squeak and feel OLD

80s and 90s S-Classes felt like bank vaults, but from 2000 to now...Mercedes is a shell of its former self, and BMW feels like MBZ used to
I totally agree on your thought about old s classes. They were something very different. Last week I saw one of them (w140) in classic car show in Essen and it is really the definition of a quality. For the usb's, it is actually fine for me because, most of the time I will be the only person in the car. As long as I can connect apple car play without worries I am okay with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
My 2020 S560 is totally solid at 50k miles, no creaks or rattles…but the new W223 S Class is a different story. I absolutely believe the G70 is a better overall car than the W223 S Class. I prefer the classic looks of the S, but everything else is better in the 7, interior is much better.
I love those w222. I would definitely go for one of them I could find a very clean one with low kilometres but, I think it is bit late for that.

I also have a question regarding to BMW's sat nav, automatic parking and voice command system; Is it good enough to replace google maps or waze? Also, in order to tackle with practicality issues of G70, I am considering to use Hey Bmw system but, is it good enough to use it instead of idrive system and physical buttons? Finally, I have seen the Matt Watson's video that car can trace the manoeuvre route driver made and make it itself. How is that? Is it a reliable system especially on narrow places?
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003995.50
      04-14-2024, 05:50 AM   #10
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emre35 View Post
Thank you so much for all your answers! I already got quite an impression on G70.

I also have a question regarding to BMW's sat nav, automatic parking and voice command system; Is it good enough to replace google maps or waze? Also, in order to tackle with practicality issues of G70, I am considering to use Hey Bmw system but, is it good enough to use it instead of idrive system and physical buttons? Finally, I have seen the Matt Watson's video that car can trace the manoeuvre route driver made and make it itself. How is that? Is it a reliable system especially on narrow places?
you're welcome

voice command
it works well, i use it very rarely - when i listen to music i don't what to interrupt it... it can do many things, this is quite cool

sat nav
i like the satn nav - it's clear, you see the issues on the trip (the box on the left, if used for that) and the range prediction for an EV is also reliable.

replace maps/waze
never used it... if i find a destination on maps i send it to the car via the BMW app - then tap it, done.

automatic parking
it works fine, i only did a few tests. it parked well, would never have crashed.
do i use it? no, it's just too slow and parks in the middle - i always shift the car so that i can exit/enter more comfortably. also: it turns the steering wheel standing still, i don't like that!

what i used 3-4 times is the app remote drive to enter / exit a space. like when some idiots park their cars over the line or when there is a wall.
in all the cases it will take you up to 5 minutes till the car moves, the app (android) is pure garbage on my samsung S24 with the latest android.

trace maneuvers
yes, it works well. also, only used it for tests. again: too slow... i guess this is state of the art/legal limit - but it's slow...

please keep in mind that this is my personal view. others might/will see it differently and think it's helpful - get your own experience!
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003995.50
emre351.50
      04-19-2024, 06:39 AM   #11
emre35
Registered
Rep

The information you have given are quite enlightening and I already started to have quite an impression on G70. I will definitely rent one and test for a week on real life conditions. Hope it will go all well
Appreciate 0