BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation ALL OWNERS of N63 ENGINES MUST READ...

*MODS PLEASE STICKY*

It has been touched on here but it bears re-stating... This is HUGE:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074012

My vehicle is currently at the dealer now. I will update once received back probably sometime next week...

I suggest you ALL do the same.

Quote:
With 2014 being officially known in the automotive world as the "year of the recalls," it is no wonder that certain carmakers are trying and steer away from being put in the same boat as those offering cars with Takata airbags. BMW i BMW i s one of those brands, with the Bavarian automaker currently trying to pass a voluntary recall as a much fancier "customer care package." The recall involves just about every BMW with the N63 engine ever built, although probably not all cars will need to have the same amount of work done to them.

For those unfamiliar with BMW engine terminology, the N63 powerplant is the twin-turbocharged, 4.4-liter V-8 with 402 horsepower that saw use in every 5 Series, 6 Series, 7 Series, X5, and X6 model that have names ending with "50i" and were manufactured between 2008 and 2013. Having the service bulletin number B001314, the recall may take several days for each vehicle involved and could include replacement of the fuel injectors, mass airflow sensors, battery, crankcase vent lines, fuel pressure sensor, the engine’s vacuum pump and last, but certainly not least, replacement of the timing chain.

If all that didn’t sound like enough, all cars using this exact variant of the N63 engine will no longer be a part of the BMW long-life service intervals, instead requiring a service check every 12 months or 10,000 driven miles. Everything is not as grim as it sounds though, since it seems that affected BMW owners will receive a replacement car for the time that their vehicles are in the shop. Plus, the carmaker will also offer to buy-back the affected vehicle and offer a new one at a discounted price.

As with every other recall out there, having to return a vehicle so that its manufacturer can resolve a problem is not exactly the most entertaining thing to do with your time. This is probably why recalls are dreaded by both carmakers and car owners alike, and in essence they don’t bring any marketing benefit apart from the rare "look how attentive this car brand is with its customers!" talk that some people force themselves to think.

On the other hand, masking a voluntary and rather extensive engine recall as a "Customer Care Package" shouldn’t do BMW a lot of good in the long run, at least as far as its brand image in the eyes of its customers is concerned. Not to mention that certain service workers were well aware of a peculiar problem with a high number of N63 engines built between 2008 and 2013, so it took BMW quite a while to acknowledge the problem. Let’s just hope that it will end well for all parties involved, and those owners with cars sporting the more powerful N63TU engine (with 445 horsepower) should momentarily rest assured that their vehicles aren’t included in this massive recall.

Which BMW have N63 Engines

F01 and F02 (7 Series Sedan) produced from 3/2009 to 6/2012
F04 (Active Hybrid 7) produced from 4/2010 to 6/2012
F07 (Gran Turismo) produced from 9/2009 to 6/2012
F10 (5 Series Sedan) produced from 3/2010 to 7/2013
F12 (6 Series Convertible) produced from 3/2011 to 7/2012
F13 (6 Series Coupe) produced from 7/2011 to 7/2012
E70 (X5) produced from 3/2010 to 6/2013
E71 (X6) produced from 7/2008 to 6/2014
E72 (ActiveHybrid X6) produced from 9/2009 to 9/2011
      01-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I got screwed on this. Probably could have gotten a better deal with a buyback and discount than I did with a trade and negotiations.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Here's some VERY helpful info guys... If you, like me paid for Fuel Injectors or other repairs related to this "N63 Campaign", you can go here, enter your VIN and see about being reimbursed:

http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...bmw_portal.nsf
      01-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Over 100 views and only ONE response to this thread???

I know damn well if you have a 09' - 12' F01/F02, there is a 90+% chance you are affected by this! Why is this forum, specifically F0, so dead? I mean what's the purpose of a forum if you're not gonna participate....
      01-12-2015, 03:34 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Big thread here : http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074012
      01-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
But that is the 5 Series forum. Where are ALL of YOU 7 Owners???

Was I and 1 or 2 others the only ones here who have N63 engines? All of you have 740's?

Oh well. My car is being worked on as I write this as it was indeed included in this "campaign".
I'm grateful but my future brand loyalty is swayed...
      01-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Was I and 1 or 2 others the only ones here who have N63 engines? All of you have 740's?

Oh well. My car is being worked on as I write this as it was indeed included in this "campaign".
I have a 2012 740, but felt compelled to reply to this thread so you wouldn't feel so alone

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

Its the exact same engine, so why have 2 separate threads ?
      01-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Why ? Other major manufacturers have had major problems and never done anything about it, atleast BMW are.
      01-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Its the exact same engine, so why have 2 separate threads ?
Well I for one don't visit the 5er forum. Because I drive/own a 7. The engine being the same in some models doesn't lead me to seek out other forums for what's happening with my car. But that's just me...

Hey, it's all good. My car is being repaired.
      01-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #11
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Some questions:

1. Has anyone been everything short of turned away for bringing your car in for the campaign? After a blood pressure rising back and forth, SA states my car will be returned to me if parts need to be ordered and I'll have to schedule another appointment upon parts arrival. Seems absurd, as I'm experiencing a misfire at this time. Is it even safe to drive a car with a misfire?

2. Is every car that falls under the campaign entitled to an oil and filter change, even if out of warranty? Does it make a difference if the car had a recent oil and filter change (2,000+ miles ago)?

3. Is every car that falls under the campaign entitled to a new battery, even if out of warranty? Does it make a difference whether the car has the 90 amp battery or the 105 amp one? Seems every 90 amp battery should be replaced!

4. Would any of the parts under this campaign remedy a problem where it's difficult to fill one's gas tank because pump nozzles constantly shut off automatically (a problem I've had since my vent lines were replaced due to the smell of gasoline in my cabin)?

What a mess.

Thanks.

Last edited by dbs600; 01-13-2015 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Some questions:

1. Has anyone been everything short of turned away for bringing your car in for the campaign? After a blood pressure rising back and forth, SA states my car will be returned to me if parts need to be ordered and I'll have to schedule another appointment upon parts arrival. Seems absurd, as I'm experiencing a misfire at this time. Is it even safe to drive a car with a misfire?

2. Is every car that falls under the campaign entitled to an oil and filter change, even if out of warranty? Does it make a difference if the car had a recent oil and filter change (2,000+ miles ago)?

3. Is every car that falls under the campaign entitled to a new battery, even if out of warranty? Does it make a difference whether the car has the 90 amp battery or the 105 amp one? Seems every 90 amp battery should be replaced!

4. Would any of the parts under this campaign remedy a problem where it's difficult to fill one's gas tank because pump nozzles constantly shut off automatically (a problem I've had since my vent lines were replaced due to the smell of gasoline in my cabin)?

What a mess.

Thanks.
I can only answer or speak intelligently on a couple:

The first one: Based on my current experience, that sounds about right. Here's why... My car has been at my dealer since last Monday, the 4th of Jan. Once the car is diagnosed (specific codes are read and sent to BMW) BMW, not the dealer, sends a specific "package of parts" for YOUR vehicle.
My parts as of yesterday had not arrived yet. I can tell you based on my feedback (I'm a very detailed kinda person) delays in receiving these "Boxes of parts" is going to be VERY common and getting worse! I know 3 others whose cars have been at the dealer across the country for over a week like mine. Fortunately I was put in a new 5er (nothing like my 7 though). My SA also does NOT know exactly what is being replaced/repaired before the 'box' arrives. But it's safe to say it will be quite a bit.

Your other question: I have experienced multiple (as many as 14 misfires per cylinder!) and this is AFTER having had my injectors replaced 90 days ago! It is NOT normal but can be safely driven within a reasonable time frame and not 'pushing the car'.
As gar as the battery and oil change, it will be only on a case by case basis...

THIS is EXACTLY why I am surprised at all the 7 owners here NOT expressing more interest or sharing their own experience???

But oh well...
      01-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

Hey, it's all good. My car is being repaired.
      01-13-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Some questions:

What a mess.

Thanks.
For reference, my answers to this in the 5 Series thread:

Quote:
1) I would hope they get the parts in very quick, unless there is a shortage, which there shouldnt be.

2)The oil and filter change are only if you need your timing chain replaced. This is because they engine has to be removed and opened up to do the job, so the oil and filter needs to be changed regardless of when it was last done.

If your timing chain is not replaced there is no oil change required.

3) Batteries are only replaced free on cars still under the USA 4 year maintenance plan. The 90AH ones are being changed to 105 AH on the warranty cars because the 105AH will undergo less stress than the 90AH one.

You do not have to replace yours if out of warranty unless you are having low battery issues.
A proper Cteck battery charger used every couple weeks will massively help prevent any battery problems by keeping the battery fully charged.

4) No, that is a completely different issue. Sounds like a blocked vent or something.
      01-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #15
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I'm very curious as to how this recall (whoops customer care package) will hold up here in Canada. I just gave my dealership a call to see what they think. They will call me back. I've had the injectors fail on me on this machine and it is ticking like crazy when idling which leads me to believe the timing chain isn't happy. The machine randomly throws drive train malfunctions and the battery isn't keeping the machine going any more. I've replaced the battery to the bigger one in the past, but it isn't up to the job any more. I can put the machine on a charger for 3-4 days and it still says dead battery and loses the time and date in it.

If I can get some of these issues with the car dealt with here in Canada I will be posting it on here for people to see what is happening. As for a replacement car while mine is in the shop - I'll be sure to let you know if I do or not for that as well! I rather expect that I won't be getting one, because I will give them my car for the diagnosis and then let them keep it till it is fixed and they don't like me putting thousands of km on a loaner.

As for everyone that plans to keep their car or owns it rather than leases it - I wish you all the best in getting this done. BMW loves to ignore problems until they are past due and this is a case where I expect they will be trying to weasel their way out of paying anything if they can.

I tell you what though, as soon as my 750 is out of warranty I will be trading it away ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Your other question: I have experienced multiple (as many as 14 misfires per cylinder!) and this is AFTER having had my injectors replaced 90 days ago! It is NOT normal but can be safely driven within a reasonable time frame and not 'pushing the car'.
As gar as the battery and oil change, it will be only on a case by case basis...
Thanks for your thorough reply!

Did you receive drivetrain malfunction messages with your misfires?

I don't have a drivetrain malfunction message and don't want to drive my car with misfires. Advice on what I should do if told to pick up my vehicle?

The injectors put into your car had to have been the latest "Index Number"!

Please let us know if they're replacing your injectors again...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #17
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I am supposed to get my car back tomorrow. We shall see...
The injectors were the latest model as I confirmed this worth service manager.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #18
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am supposed to get my car back tomorrow. We shall see...
The injectors were the latest model as I confirmed this worth service manager.
So you already had the latest injectors going into the campaign?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #19
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you already had the latest injectors going into the campaign?
Correct! Having the injectors replaced does Not solve all issues related to this campaign.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #20
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Correct! Having the injectors replaced does Not solve all issues related to this campaign.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 09:40 AM   #21
frieseke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

I talked with my Canadian dealership and they had no idea what this service bulletin B001314 is. They said there were no recalls on my car at this time. This was yesterday January 13th 2015. I'm bringing my car up there in a week and a half to see if they can figure out why my battery is not maintaining a charge (I expect them to replace it again) and while I'm there I'll talk to the sales manager and perhaps the Service manager and see if they know anything about this. I'm going to be honest if this customer care package is only for US models I'm going to be frustrated.

Best of luck to all my friends I haven't met yet with these cars, hopefully the repairs are done quickly and well!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #22
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieseke View Post
I talked with my Canadian dealership and they had no idea what this service bulletin B001314 is. They said there were no recalls on my car at this time. This was yesterday January 13th 2015. I'm bringing my car up there in a week and a half to see if they can figure out why my battery is not maintaining a charge (I expect them to replace it again) and while I'm there I'll talk to the sales manager and perhaps the Service manager and see if they know anything about this. I'm going to be honest if this customer care package is only for US models I'm going to be frustrated.

Best of luck to all my friends I haven't met yet with these cars, hopefully the repairs are done quickly and well!
It is currently USA only.
Hoping other countries soon.