BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #45
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
Tire Size: 245/50R18 is the base 740 model size. When fancy hotels buy a BMW 740 to cater to customers they always specify this size tire for good reason. If you try a 7 series with this size at factory pressure specs it is a good a ride as you will find. I am not saying people need to change tires and wheels but realizing the importance of tire pressure and size will give you an appreciation of the suberb ride quality the 7 series has available. I had a 1995 BMW with 235/60R16 tires that had a great ride. Today's larger wheels look good and handle better but the butter smooth ride suffers.
Ughhhh I can't imagine what a marshmallow the 7 would drive like with 18's, the 19's were bad enough.

Great for passengers though.
      06-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #46
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

This is a 2018 640 Gt with stock 2019 7 series wheels. Honestly it doesn't feel to floaty. It is definately is more comfortable now than the 19" wheels that came with the car but its big advantage is being able to handle rough roads and pot holes. Handling wise I do not notice to much but I am not an aggressive driver. The BMW 640GT is really my cruiser car and my smaller BMW's are the fun cars anyway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Wills28647.00
      06-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #47
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think some people often confuse/equate handling with a stiff ride.
      06-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #48
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I think some people often confuse/equate handling with a stiff ride.
Definitely. You can have good handling without being pummeled by every road imperfection. Of course suspension geometry is always a compromise and it is tilted in different ways on different cars. What is acceptable in a 3 series is going to be different than a 7 series. No way those cars will (or should) feel the same. I have driven lots of cars, including old style MG and Alfa as well as larger cars like S class and older 7 series and 2 F10s. My current G12 is not going to handle like my 1969 MGB, which was a true sports car, but it handles as well or better than anything else in its size class I have driven. It also accelerates better -- and neither my MGB nor my Alfa ('72 GTV) could have kept up.
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
TNJohn0.00
      06-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #49
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Definitely. You can have good handling without being pummeled by every road imperfection. Of course suspension geometry is always a compromise and it is tilted in different ways on different cars. What is acceptable in a 3 series is going to be different than a 7 series. No way those cars will (or should) feel the same. I have driven lots of cars, including old style MG and Alfa as well as larger cars like S class and older 7 series and 2 F10s. My current G12 is not going to handle like my 1969 MGB, which was a true sports car, but it handles as well or better than anything else in its size class I have driven. It also accelerates better -- and neither my MGB nor my Alfa ('72 GTV) could have kept up.
Agree with you there, but the 7 still handles boat like. It has sharp reactions to bumps yet still floats in corners.

I dont need it to handle like a 3 and it should not, although it handles worse than our x5 which ride is not rough, and its light years behind the feel of the E38 which while older is only a few hundred pounds lighter.

The 7 used to look big and drive small, the new one is big and it drives big. Still better than an S class, but not like it was.

I may have been outvoted by the buyers and they all wanted it to be more S class like.
      06-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #50
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Agree with you there, but the 7 still handles boat like. It has sharp reactions to bumps yet still floats in corners.

I dont need it to handle like a 3 and it should not, although it handles worse than our x5 which ride is not rough, and its light years behind the feel of the E38 which while older is only a few hundred pounds lighter.

The 7 used to look big and drive small, the new one is big and it drives big. Still better than an S class, but not like it was.

I may have been outvoted by the buyers and they all wanted it to be more S class like.
Drive the 7 is sport mode and corner floating is not there. Even adaptive mode. I have test driven X5 and consider its ride unacceptable. It is too harsh and it handles like a truck (which it is). Add Integral adaptive steering to a seven and it handles like a 5. I had an E38 and IMHO the G12 is a far superior car. I had an S class, and I think the G12 and S class are the only real competition in the category.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #51
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Drive the 7 is sport mode and corner floating is not there. Even adaptive mode. I have test driven X5 and consider its ride unacceptable. It is too harsh and it handles like a truck (which it is). Add Integral adaptive steering to a seven and it handles like a 5. I had an E38 and IMHO the G12 is a far superior car. I had an S class, and I think the G12 and S class are the only real competition in the category.
I always drive in sport mode its the only acceptable mode and it still wallows, I am not talking about sweepers its not too bad there, I am talking about quicker transfers.

I have not driven the new X5, but the F15 in Msport handles nothing like a truck.

Lastly the G12 is 20 years newer than the E38 of course its superior in just about everything except one, driving dynamics.

Drive them back to back, I do often, the G12 is faster, more comfortable, and tech is light years ahead but it defintely does not handle as well.
      06-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #52
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
I always drive in sport mode its the only acceptable mode and it still wallows, I am not talking about sweepers its not too bad there, I am talking about quicker transfers.

I have not driven the new X5, but the F15 in Msport handles nothing like a truck.

Lastly the G12 is 20 years newer than the E38 of course its superior in just about everything except one, driving dynamics.

Drive them back to back, I do often, the G12 is faster, more comfortable, and tech is light years ahead but it defintely does not handle as well.
Do you have IAS? I do not have issues with quick turn ins. I can't drive E38 back to back so that comparison is yours to validate. I just can't say I am unhappy with the G12 handling. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #53
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have IAS? I do not have issues with quick turn ins. I can't drive E38 back to back so that comparison is yours to validate. I just can't say I am unhappy with the G12 handling. YMMV.
I do not have IAS, although while that would help with turn in it won't overcome the other issues.

Listen maybe I am expecting more, and I probably should have bought the Alpina B6 I was looking at which felt much closer to the handling of the E38 with much more power.

I just got a great deal on the 7. I dont dislike it, I guess I am just a bit disappointed in it considering how much I love the E38.

Different cars different times I dont cringe when I drive it though, especially when I hit the gas.
      06-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #54
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Swap out the rftires immediately!!!
I had them also on a previous 435...and it was horrible.
Let me put it to you this way...my f10 m5 on 19 non rft rides way smoother and so much more quieter than the 19 rftires on my previous 435. Diff is very very noticeable. Yes rft have gotten better, however, they are still very noisy and harsh. The ride over major bumps and potholes in my f10 m5 19s is excellent over the 435 rft 19s. It's actually very strange that an m5 is more comfortable than a non m car. There are sections in my city that when i drove over in the 435, it felt like my teeth clicked or like someone fired a shotgun under the cabin. It was quite bad. In the m5? Pshhhh, not a peep! Honestly! Rides over those potholes and i dont even notice.
I despise run flat tires.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #55
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAssistMePlease View Post
I have the 740i, 2018, and I notice, occassionally, that the middle consule gets very heated (warm/hot) on the passengers side of the consule. Now the drivers side of the consule stays cool, no temperature fluctuation. Anyone know what could be causing this? At first, I thought it might be the temperature controls being active but after turning them off, still hot. Is it an A/C thing possibly? I'm not sure what can be causing the passenger's side of the middle consule to feel like it's overheating.... wondering if anyone has any input. Thank you - perplexed in Tennessee
Have you taken the car back to the dealer? That's what the warranty is for!

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #56
Cruzdog954
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4M Competition

Garage List
I have the 21" wheels with 30/35 sidewalk and have zero complaints about noise. But I do understand that a 60 sidewall will obviously be a lot smoother.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #57
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Hello again boys

Re read all your kind comments and ideas.

I drove a Macan Turbo all day on 21s and it was marginally quieter. That said.. you are further from the tyres in one of those which will make a difference.

Again the 21s are one inch bigger but less noise!! What else might this suggest.

I noted a comment about the DIFFERENTIAL - this is scary although I don't see any evidence of issues with air suspension - I also don't really see why there would be much of a difference either do you?

I cannot believe how long I have put up with this! I am on continentals.

I can:

1. Try some dunlop 20 inch non Run-flats pro max for £656 fitted. 67db.

2. Dunlop Sport Maxx RUN FLATS are also noted at 67db out of interest... ( how they can both be 67db is beyond me.

3. Try a set of 19s and tyres - £1500 including tyres...

But I also need front brakes for £300 odd and I am out of warranty in 3 months...

Although the prices are high - its looking like

4. Also maybe change car.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #58
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
Hello again boys

Re read all your kind comments and ideas.

I drove a Macan Turbo all day on 21s and it was marginally quieter. That said.. you are further from the tyres in one of those which will make a difference.

Again the 21s are one inch bigger but less noise!! What else might this suggest.

I noted a comment about the DIFFERENTIAL - this is scary although I don't see any evidence of issues with air suspension - I also don't really see why there would be much of a difference either do you?

I cannot believe how long I have put up with this! I am on continentals.

I can:

1. Try some dunlop 20 inch non Run-flats pro max for £656 fitted. 67db.

2. Dunlop Sport Maxx RUN FLATS are also noted at 67db out of interest... ( how they can both be 67db is beyond me.

3. Try a set of 19s and tyres - £1500 including tyres...

But I also need front brakes for £300 odd and I am out of warranty in 3 months...

Although the prices are high - its looking like

4. Also maybe change car.

Any thoughts?
Change the Car
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:56 AM   #59
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, thank you for reading.
Here in the UK we pay a road tax called VED.

A newer car will be subject to the following.

1. £455 per year VED instead of £155
2. Inflated prices due to Covid and supply and demand - most of what I am looking at is between £7 and £10,000 over book - i.e. its trade value.

However:

1. I will not really be able to afford genuine servicing as the car is on 50k miles and I will have to pay out for those in time. I suspect it will be £500 for a non dealer service plus £650 for a set of run flats.

This would equate to expenditure of £1150.00 for the next 12 months to allow the correction of the market perhaps, rather than spending £30,000 to change into an X5 and being the wrong side of it value wise when Covid sales pick up and there is more supply.

I'd like an X5 G series but not for £55,000 used and in the UK if you finance you pay 10.Something % interest !!!!!!!

Not wishing to over post I may just post a specific thread to see if anyone has actually changed out their run flats without ruining the air suspension and go from there. I could then run it for another 12 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #60
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:
Well, thank you for reading.
Here in the UK we pay a road tax called VED.

A newer car will be subject to the following.

1. £455 per year VED instead of £155
2. Inflated prices due to Covid and supply and demand - most of what I am looking at is between £7 and £10,000 over book - i.e. its trade value.

However:

1. I will not really be able to afford genuine servicing as the car is on 50k miles and I will have to pay out for those in time. I suspect it will be £500 for a non dealer service plus £650 for a set of run flats.

This would equate to expenditure of £1150.00 for the next 12 months to allow the correction of the market perhaps, rather than spending £30,000 to change into an X5 and being the wrong side of it value wise when Covid sales pick up and there is more supply.

I'd like an X5 G series but not for £55,000 used and in the UK if you finance you pay 10.Something % interest !!!!!!!

Not wishing to over post I may just post a specific thread to see if anyone has actually changed out their run flats without ruining the air suspension and go from there. I could then run it for another 12 months.

You drive a 7 series and then you cry over road tax?? Come'on! I just paid £490 for my x6m50d, £155 for 740, and £145 for my wife's car too ald 1 year/each. I am smiling even coz I am alive, healthy.

Sorry just don't understand why would you go for standard tyres and not for RFLs as per manufacturer's specs??? I never mess with the factory settings.

Check your credit scoring with Experian and ask for a quote from BMW Finance. You will be surprised as they do a soft check then a hard search. If your credit scoring is higher than 750 you will be given the low apr.
I had 8 offers from BMW but said no as I paid for the x6M50d in full. Think long term not short term.

Warranties : extended BMW is the best. I had no issues with my 7 and it's rock solid at 43k.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #61
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post
Wait for the turbo coolant leak. Your knocking on its door at 43k miles
I am not worried if it does it'll be repaired. On my previos S500 the gearbox failed at 8.6k miles and it got repaired under warranty.
These cars will never last forever
When I get worried I sell everything and buy a VW Fox
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #62
tmlivingston
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 x5

Year?

Can I trouble you for the year of the one you hate? Thanks, Tanya
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #63
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Any thoughts?
I'm surprised that you are still with the car. Here in the USA we don't have the diesel option, so our cars do drive differently. Otherwise I'd expect the suspension and whatnot to be the same.

In my experience, the most noticeable change you can make to your car, any car, is the tires. That is the one single connection to the road, and how they respond to pavement, weather, traction, turns, etc. can make or break your driving enjoyment.

I don't have any of the complaints I've read in this thread about handling, and that may just be because I have an Alpina, which has a differently tuned suspension. It is super flat through the turns, transitions, etc. even in comfort mode. This is still a huge, massive, heavy car especially in the LWB configuration that we're forced to get in the USA market, but the handling is quite impressive on 21" with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Ditch those continentals and get some nice Michelin tires. The A/S 4+ are very nice, quiet and handle well. Yes, they are expensive. You drive a BMW 7 series, you can afford it.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 07:55 AM   #64
jassal.paul
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Russian Roulette

Bit of a late post, but i need some help in resolving the issue with my current 7 series.
I've owned many BMW's over the years and originally I just thought anything built after 2010 was cheap and poor quality, but in terms of road noise and wind noise. Every BMW I've owned has differed.

E36 - Excellent
E46 - Excellent
E92 - Poor road noise (Wheels)
E63 - Excellent
F01 - Poor road noise (Wheels)
F10 - Poor road noise (Everything) By far the worst.
G30 - Excellent
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 10:33 AM   #65
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Good post...

I would say prev F 7 was 25% quieter.. but that's me.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 12:32 PM   #66
Rioskis
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 740Le x drive

Well I don’t know actually.. mine car is really quite 2017 740Le xdrive. Right now it’s with winter tires 18”.
Summer tires is 19” but have no idea how good or bad it is because I bought a car only this year.
And if I will compare to my previous Mercedes c350e 2017 the bmw 7 is muuuuuch quieter. For Mercedes was a huge difference when I put on it pirelli cinturato tires. But still it’s far away from bmw 740Le. Of course it’s huge difference between car classes but still.
Appreciate 0