BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #1
Holomatrix7
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: A Car

Cabin interior fuse box

Hi all,

I see a *lot* of people on the web trying desperately to find the interior cabin fuse box in the front of the G11/G12...

I am trying to wire up a new dash cam setup in my RHD 2020 G12 and everywhere people say the cabin fuse box is? it isn't!

It isn't behind the plastics or carpet in the front left (passenger in my RHD) corner. It isn't under the glove box.

The BMW electronics wiring diagram makes it look like it lives behind the left most plastic kick panel... but the only thing I found there was the SAS computer (steering angle sensor)- which felt odd given the steering wheel is on the other side of the car .

Can someone help me?

Where is the interior cabin fuse box in the 2020/21 G12???
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
Holomatrix7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: I found it.

I can see why so many people have found it hard to find in the RHD cars... let's just say that in switching from LHD to RHD some 'compromises' get made.

One of the first is that instead of the cabin fuse box sitting 'up and down' (vertical) against the passenger sidewall behind the kickpanel as it does in the many videos and 'instructions' I googled up for the LHD. It sits horizontal in the RHD in order to accomodate for the bonnet release and some other gadgetry that sits in the area where the cabin fuse box would be on the LHD model - and when I say it sits horizontal - yeah, about that. It's jammed waaaaay up in there such that half of the fuses can't even be seen. They are hidden behind the insulation and sound deadening materials. Changing a fuse in that box must be a complete 'return to dealer' mission. Even though the idea should be that fuses are a roadside servicable component.

Somebody clearly didn't read the design rules on that one...

The next mission is hoping someone can find me a cheat sheet for how to get the damn thing out. I need to find out how it is attached up in there in order to get it out and add the four wires to it for the ACE 2.0.

Anyone???
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 07:44 AM   #3
Googsy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 740E

I tried I failed , I thought I could use a piggyback connector and try to fit in situ. I felt like a contortionist trying to access it. I didn’t dare remove it. Ended up hiding the cable all the way to the front socket under the heating controls. Can’t close the lid so only a temporary measure until somebody like you came along and asked the question…
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #4
Holomatrix7
Enlisted Member
Rep

Totally agree... even getting to see the darn thing is a mission in gymnastics.

I sort of worked out that there are a couple of torx screws holding the driver's side 'glove compartment' (let's just call it the glorified sunglasses holder shall we?) but undoing them didn't amount to anything useful... it didn't drop out. Had it come out I suspect one might be able to run a hand back across the top (back) of the fuse box.
Appreciate 0