BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
birkopf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d 2016

Question Advice from 740Li owners before buying

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy 740 Li from 2016. I currently drive 640d from 2016, by my 640d Gran Couple is a very different car...

- What should I check and what should I look for when buying used 740 LI please ?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkopf View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning to buy 740 Li from 2016. I currently drive 640d from 2016, by my 640d Gran Couple is a very different car...

- What should I check and what should I look for when buying used 740 LI please ?
Just general things that apply to non-drivetrain related items like grill shutters, auto blinds, and other "toys" in the car. I daresay the 740 is likely the most reliable drivetrain in the lineup re: the powertrain.

Extended warranty is never a bad idea, In any event I would plan to spend 4-10K in maintenance and repair out of warranty based on the condition and model you get over a 3-4 year period. Good Luck!
      11-10-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
Chalimon
Rep
Drives: BMW G12

Yeah, I got a G12 740i in June. The car had 67k miles, now 75k miles and I love it. This is also the most reliable power train, and I plan to get it tuned to about 500 how (about $1500 to do so).

That being said, I repaired 4 issues already:
- changed the coolant and expension tanks. Cost about $160 and easy fix (plus $20 for coolant)
- replaced battery, which was already 7 years old ($385 in an indie BMW shop)
- replaced ATM battery ($65 from Lithuania on eBay, 5 min replacement at the rear headliner)
- plug back a PDC sensor (was poorly connected back after being disconnected for a paint job from the place I bought the vehicle)

I did couple of upgrades too:
- installed a crystal shift knob, power start and idrive knob ($365 from China on eBay).
- replaced all the crappy Harman Kardon speaker ($1300 from Bavsound) with much much better quality speaker.

I still need to replace (will do this month myself) :
- transmission fluid (still need to order that)
- oil change
- spark plugs
- motor mounts (will do when I get to buy motor lift on sale, usually $70 off from harbor freight)

It is an easy car to work on as there are plenty of space to work around the engine and lots of things are very logical and lots of YouTube video to help which makes it super easy.

It is very enjoyable and I went with this car over the 2017-2019 Genesis G90 (I have a Hyundai Equus, the old version of it which I love) for 3 reasons :
- much better gas mileage
- digital odometer
- air suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 11:51 PM   #4
Dickbanks
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li(G12)

Do you have a link for the crystal shift know? Any pictures of yours? Did you do the install yourself/ how difficult was it? And does everything work as it should? I love the clarity glass shift package on the X5's and really want to do it on the 7 series
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 11:52 PM   #5
Dickbanks
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalimon View Post
Yeah, I got a G12 740i in June. The car had 67k miles, now 75k miles and I love it. This is also the most reliable power train, and I plan to get it tuned to about 500 how (about $1500 to do so).

That being said, I repaired 4 issues already:
- changed the coolant and expension tanks. Cost about $160 and easy fix (plus $20 for coolant)
- replaced battery, which was already 7 years old ($385 in an indie BMW shop)
- replaced ATM battery ($65 from Lithuania on eBay, 5 min replacement at the rear headliner)
- plug back a PDC sensor (was poorly connected back after being disconnected for a paint job from the place I bought the vehicle)

I did couple of upgrades too:
- installed a crystal shift knob, power start and idrive knob ($365 from China on eBay).
- replaced all the crappy Harman Kardon speaker ($1300 from Bavsound) with much much better quality speaker.

I still need to replace (will do this month myself) :
- transmission fluid (still need to order that)
- oil change
- spark plugs
- motor mounts (will do when I get to buy motor lift on sale, usually $70 off from harbor freight)

It is an easy car to work on as there are plenty of space to work around the engine and lots of things are very logical and lots of YouTube video to help which makes it super easy.

It is very enjoyable and I went with this car over the 2017-2019 Genesis G90 (I have a Hyundai Equus, the old version of it which I love) for 3 reasons :
- much better gas mileage
- digital odometer
- air suspension

Do you have a link for the crystal shift know? Any pictures of yours? Did you do the install yourself/ how difficult was it? And does everything work as it should? I love the clarity glass shift package on the X5's and really want to do it on the 7 series
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #6
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickbanks View Post
Probably something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354177905234
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 08:08 PM   #7
Dickbanks
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Probably something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354177905234
Thanks. I wonder if the quality, fit/finish is on par with the OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
Chalimon
Rep
Drives: BMW G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickbanks View Post

Hey, I got it from ebay from china, about a month after I bought the car.

I wanted it as I work for BMW manufacturing and saw it on G05/G05/G07/G09

Picture is from time of this post as my wife is driving now, and car is as clean as it should as I haven't cleaned it in a month...

Installing it on the 7 series is maybe a 5/10.

Now I would have no problem, but I had to figure few things.

The video about the install are decent, but I got the wrong one for the knob and almost screwed it up 😅.
The shifter went as smooth as butter.

Yeah everything works as it should.

Once you order it and if you do, just let me know if you have any questions.

I think I paid 300ish but I saw it going for cheaper, maybe 200ish

Look for crystal shifter/knob 7 series, on Alibaba or eBay.

I got the idrive know, shifter and stop start button all together.
I believe you could also get the volume control button as well.

Good luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0