BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-04-2023, 04:15 PM   #1
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Integral Active Steering / Autobahn Package, How do I tell?

Anyone know if there is a way to identify if a 750i has this based on photos? Dealers mostly don't even know what I'm talking about and it's a must have for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #2
BMWDavid750
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i

Left of the steering wheel. Where the fog light button is.
There are 4 squares. If it has a button for all 4 spots (one of which is autobahn mode) then yes it has it.
If just 3 out of the 4 squares are filled it does not
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 10:51 AM   #3
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid750 View Post
There are 4 squares. If it has a button for all 4 spots (one of which is autobahn mode) then yes it has it.
Thanks man! Do you happen to know if the Integral Active Steering button is in the same place if you just have that option and not the full AB package? I assume yes but figured I would ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #4
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Left of the steering wheel has only light control switches. These include rotary switch, parking lights for each side, fog lights for front (optional) and rear, and NIVI CID button if equipped with that option. Nothing in there indicates whether the car has Autobahn Package, which is Integral Active Steering and Executive Drive Pro.

Only way to detect integral active steering from photos is to see if rear wheels have turned out, as it includes rear axle steering. Hard to identify it anyway unless photo is specifically focused on that.

Executive Drive Pro can't be identified via photos unless those photos are from underside with some aero panels removed so that electronically controlled sway bars are exposed.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
Socalsteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDavid750 View Post
So, this is completely wrong if you have a G12 2020 through 2022. I have the Autobahn Package and there are definitely not any buttons for this package anywhere.

The best way is to do a search of the VIN to find out exactly what options and features the particular vehicle has.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 03:57 AM   #6
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
Thanks man! Do you happen to know if the Integral Active Steering button is in the same place if you just have that option and not the full AB package? I assume yes but figured I would ask.
If there's setting for "Snow Chains" then the car has Integral Active Steering -option as that enables / disables the "4 wheel steering" when snow chains are fitted:

Its remarkable big difference to try out. One can disable the IAS even while driving. Try to turn 360 circle with and without IAS active, its like 2 meter / 6,5ft difference with G12 (lang) version!

And car needs to move speed over ... 5kmh (or such) before the IAS activates. It wont activate for example when parallel parking or driving very slowly. Not at least in pre-LCI G12.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:44 AM   #7
Rioskis
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 740Le x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.gif View Post
If there's setting for "Snow Chains" then the car has Integral Active Steering -option as that enables / disables the "4 wheel steering" when snow chains are fitted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWEBerNrT3c

Its remarkable big difference to try out. One can disable the IAS even while driving. Try to turn 360 circle with and without IAS active, its like 2 meter / 6,5ft difference with G12 (lang) version!

And car needs to move speed over ... 5kmh (or such) before the IAS activates. It wont activate for example when parallel parking or driving very slowly. Not at least in pre-LCI G12.
Whaaaaat.. I have the chain option but didn’t know that my car can turn rear wheel a little bit. Can’t believe it. Somehow I need to check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 10:31 AM   #8
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioskis View Post
Whaaaaat.. I have the chain option but didn’t know that my car can turn rear wheel a little bit. Can’t believe it. Somehow I need to check it.
Hit up BMW with your VIN number and have them send you the MSRP/Window Sticker document. Then you can know for sure what's going on!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #9
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkelley86 View Post
Hit up BMW with your VIN number and have them send you the MSRP/Window Sticker document. Then you can know for sure what's going on!
I don’t think so that I have that. Even I have option for chains.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #10
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don’t think so that I have that. Even I have option for chains.
You have it. Option S2VH - Integral Active Front Steering. I don't know why it is called Integral Active 'Front' Steering in all VIN decoders, but that is the correct option there.

Integral active steering doesn't only mean rear axle steering, but also variable ratio steering. There is a different, variable geometry front steering rack with this option as well. Whether it is 12V or 24V rack depends on the vehicle variant. Without S2VH option, you have a fixed steering ratio along the steering wheel movement. With S2VH, the steering ratio adjusts depending on the steering angle and is more indirect at center position.

EDIT: Attached the functional and technical documentation regarding standard EPS and HSR (Integral Active Steering).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FUB-FUB-FB-320002-F15.pdf (237.7 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by Raimo5; 02-22-2023 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #11
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
You have it. Option S2VH - Integral Active Front Steering. I don't know why it is called Integral Active 'Front' Steering in all VIN decoders, but that is the correct option there.

Integral active steering doesn't only mean rear axle steering, but also variable ratio steering. There is a different front steering rack with this option as well. Whether it is 12V or 24V rack depends on the vehicle variant. Without S2VH option, you have a fixed steering ratio along the steering wheel movement. With S2VH, the steering ratio adjusts depending on vehicle speed and drive experience mode selected.

EDIT: Attached the functional and technical documentation regarding standard EPS and HSR (Integral Active Steering).
Thank you Raimo again! But hmm in the parking place how should I see if the wheels move a little bit. Never saw that. I need somehow to figure out. Also I can’t turn on or turn off this. There is no any button for this. And I have no idea it is good or bad to have it. Of course it helps for parking I guess when your car can park itself. But my car can’t park itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 11:04 PM   #12
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you Raimo again! But hmm in the parking place how should I see if the wheels move a little bit. Never saw that. I need somehow to figure out. Also I can’t turn on or turn off this. There is no any button for this. And I have no idea it is good or bad to have it. Of course it helps for parking I guess when your car can park itself. But my car can’t park itself.
You can't see it when you are parked. HSR (rear axle slip angle control) starts to do its job around 5km/h and the maximum slip angle is 3 degrees either side. That is a good thing, because at times you find yourself very close to some obstructions laterally and when turning the opposite direction of said obstruction, you dont want the HSR to throw you into it by steering to opposite direction. At slow speed regime (5-60km/h) the wheels turn in opposite direction, thus decreasing your turning circle. Starting from 60km/h (high speed regime), the wheels turn in same direction, allowing for more stabilty. Ever noticed how you "crab walk" when changing lanes at motorway speeds, meaning there is no yaw moment around center axis.

Parking Assistant is not a requirement here. HSR will do it's job within the parameters regardless of who is in control - you or the automation.

You can turn it off by selecting snow chain mode as described above, but bear in mind that this disabling works up until 50km/h. If you exceed that speed, HSR is automatically reenabled.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2023, 05:11 AM   #13
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Put your friend or better half behind the wheel and stand outside in a biiig parking lot. The 3 degrees of turning is actually quite visible. I noticed this when buddy of mine was driving my car and I drove his car behind him. In every intersection the rear wheels does turn opposite direction and you can visually see this

In newer models the turning angle is up to 5 degrees.
Appreciate 1
Rioskis14.50
      02-23-2023, 06:28 AM   #14
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.gif View Post
Put your friend or better half behind the wheel and stand outside in a biiig parking lot. The 3 degrees of turning is actually quite visible. I noticed this when buddy of mine was driving my car and I drove his car behind him. In every intersection the rear wheels does turn opposite direction and you can visually see this

In newer models the turning angle is up to 5 degrees.
Yep. Just checked with my brother and he confirmed that😅
Appreciate 0