BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-26-2023, 08:52 AM   #1
abnatelee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 BMW 750i, G30 BMW M550i

Garage List
I really need help. I’ve been tossing and turning about this. I have both the 750i and M550i. However, I’m having trouble finding the difference in the exhaust. They both have identical engine (N63TU2) and they also have identical exhaust system. 1 muffler, 2 resonators, and 2 downpipes.

What’s the difference that makes the M550i much louder than the 750i ???

I get that the 750i should be quieter and more of the comfort side, but it has identical engine and exhaust system as the M550i.

When comparing the exhaust, I opened both exhaust valves thru BimmerLink to compare “Apple to Apple”.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 07:50 PM   #2
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I don't know the answer to your quandary per say, but the M550 is an M performance model versus the 750 being a standard luxury model So there's certainly a difference in the ecu tuning. The tune alone could change the exhaust note considerably, particularly with burbles, pops and bangs. I'm also fairly certain the exhaust system on the M performance models is a bit less restrictive which probably means using less or different sound deadening in the resonators and/or muffler, and perhaps slightly less cells in the CATs for more flow off the turbos. I had an F95 X5M competition that was very loud with catted downpipes only so I think there’s quite a range of exhaust note the N63/S63 engine can hit in various states of tune.

Are you trying to make a 750 louder or are you just wondering?
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 04:19 PM   #3
abnatelee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
I don't know the answer to your quandary per say, but the M550 is an M performance model versus the 750 being a standard luxury model So there's certainly a difference in the ecu tuning. The tune alone could change the exhaust note considerably, particularly with burbles, pops and bangs. I'm also fairly certain the exhaust system on the M performance models is a bit less restrictive which probably means using less or different sound deadening in the resonators and/or muffler, and perhaps slightly less cells in the CATs for more flow off the turbos. I had an F95 X5M competition that was very loud with catted downpipes only so I think there’s quite a range of exhaust note the N63/S63 engine can hit in various states of tune.

Are you trying to make a 750 louder or are you just wondering?
Thank you so much for your response! I was really just wondering what makes the difference. For now, I think I’m going to keep the 750i stock for exhaust since it still sounds classy and refined. Maybe throw on some catted dps in the future but my stock cats still works fine.

I have RACECHIP for both the 750i and M550i and I think that’ll be the max that I’ll do in terms of performance for now.

How’s the engine for the F95 X5M? Any issues? I was thinking of maybe trading in my M550i in a couple years for F90 M5.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

cut the 2 resonators in middle and youre good
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
abnatelee
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82 in QC View Post
cut the 2 resonators in middle and youre good
Me personally. It’s hard for me to cut both the resonators on a $100k car. I just have some sort of sentimental value to it to justify it. I’m sure deleting the resonators will give it more grumble when you apply full throttle. Thanks for replying!
Appreciate 0