BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-16-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
Falcon690
Rep
Drives: bmw550i xdrive, bmw m760li

Bmw 2018 760li

I am possibly going to be trading in my 2013 bmw 550i xdrive (that I have had for 6 years) for a 2018 bmw m760li.

Love the drive of the m760li. v12 sounds really great.

I can do spark plugs, brakes and rotors, air filters, and few other minor repairs myself. Learning as I go to fix other things.

Dont know too much about the m760li reliability so I am asking feedback of what to expect.

Some questions that I have:

(1) Does this car burn oil like the 550i xdrive I have?
(2) Seems like this car needs spark plugs every 15k Miles? Possibly Coil Packs as well?
(3) Does this car go through tires faster with someone like myself that drives it moderately? my 550i xdrive on Goodyear LS2 runflats can get close to 50k on the tires
(4) Does Anyone know the common repairs/issues with this car?
(5) Do you guys think extended warranty is needed? I did not have it on my 550i x drive.

any other input would be great, I usually keep a budget of 3-4K a year for repairs. I have not yet exceeded that or come close to that yearly budget with my ownership on my 550i xdrive.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 11:31 PM   #2
Danyal.N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 and BMW 7 Series

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i   [10.00]
Hey Man, Happy to see you’re in the Market for an M760i I have a 740i Myself. For the Extended Warranty, Personally I’d say Go for it as it’s a Massive V12. When it comes to Tires, I do not believe they Last a short time being xDrive with 40/60 Power Delivery. Now for Reliability the V12 is **NOT** An Audi and it does not have Oil Consumption Issues and is Generally another example of a Rock Solid Modern BMW Motor. Hope this Helps!
      05-17-2023, 12:21 AM   #3
Falcon690
Rep

nice, thanks for the input. That was a big concern for me for the oil consumption. Had my 550i x drive engine replaced because of it (At no cost to me luckily), and its still burning oil, about 1 quart at 5000 miles, 1 quart at 6000 miles and so on lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 09:17 AM   #4
Danyal.N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon690 View Post
nice, thanks for the input. That was a big concern for me for the oil consumption. Had my 550i x drive engine replaced because of it (At no cost to me luckily), and its still burning oil, about 1 quart at 5000 miles, 1 quart at 6000 miles and so on lol...
Don’t let the N63 Low Oil Lights Bite You!
      05-17-2023, 05:24 PM   #5
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I have a 19 M760. To answer some of your questions

1. No this engine doesn’t burn oil like the V8s do. However I change my oil every 4-5k miles. This is a big motor with 12 cyl so I’d recommend a shorter oil life just to ensure proper lubrication during the long ignition start up

2. Spark plugs are changed every 60k miles. Haven’t heard if any 15k Mike changes but that’s common servicing on full M cars. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you’re getting misfires or down on power but by all means change them at whatever interval you like. I’d recommend coil packs at 60k just since you’re in there replacing plugs.

3. Not sure what tires you’ll have but mine came stock with Michelin PSS tires which are a summer max performance tire. You will likely need to change every 10-15k depending on how you drive. It’s a heavy powerful car so if you’re accelerating or braking hard a lot, it will wear tires faster.

4. Honestly I haven’t heard of really any reliability issues in this engine. I’ve looked around as well. I’m this engine is shared with some Rolls Royce cars and they don’t have issues either. It’s a very stout, overbuilt engine that has been in production for some time. With proper servicing I wouldn’t worry too much at all. Not like the hot V V8s which have loads of issues.

5. I would get the extended warranty if you can. More for other issues than engine or drivetrain. It’s a BMW and a lot of electronics may fail which can get costly. Might as well protect against those silly bills so that if there’s a big engine issue down the road, you’ve got reserve cash saved.

Brakes are one area that requires cash as the rotors and pads are very expensive. Not many aftermarket options either. Depending on how you drive be prepared to change 4 corners of brakes every 25k or so

Fwiw I absolutely love this car. It’s an amazing car in every way and is a joy to drive. I’ve had lots of Beemers including full M cars (traded a 2020 X5M comp for it) and this car is just very special. Gets compliments everywhere when they see the V12 badge. Huge step up from the 550 in every way.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:35 PM   #6
Falcon690
Rep

Car Fax on the car I am looking at showed the spark plugs changed at 14K and 30K. The Silencer in the car was replaced too. So Thats why I was thinking it needed to be done every 15k.

It's a two-owner car with 30k miles, the previous two owners hit many potholes I am assuming because between both of them they replaced 1 tire on 8 occasions. Also it showed rims being repaired. I guess when potholes are hit these aluminum rims are more prone to getting bent? Thoughts on the Rim/Tire Protection?

Dealership wants close to 7k for 2 years of BMW warranty, which requires a $200 deductible every time. Its advertised as a "7 year" but I'm pretty sure that's from the original service date lol.

From the extremely short test drive because the dealer was closing soon, it really had a much better feel on the road, definitely felt it being a longer car and wider. It sounded great with the exhaust note. I liked how easy the handling was but I also will miss the handling in my 5 series. Every video I watched of the review of the car is spot on.

It has taken a hard depreciation - seems like a good time to pick one up.

I plan on going back to the dealer for a better test drive - only had a few mins to try it because I got there around the time they were closing.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 11:33 PM   #7
Danyal.N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i   [10.00]
Being a Big 7 Series and Rims probably costing a bit of cash I recommend getting Wheel/Tire Protection. Having Driven an M670i before, It was Truly Amazing The Power, Brakes, Luxury, Sound, Air Suspension and Everything Just felt like.. Like a True Flagship! If the Dealership Gives you a Good Price and it has all the Options you want, Do It!
      05-18-2023, 05:22 AM   #8
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Not sure on the plugs but it could just be a scheduled maintenance item but ask the dealer to check on that. I don’t recall mine ever being done so perhaps they were troubleshooting an issue?

DEFINITELY get the wheel and tire package. While the rims are quite strong, the sheer weight of this car, especially over the front axle will bend rims for sure. I rarely hit potholes and am very careful on the road but have had 2 rims repaired under the wheel coverage. Most people are less careful than I am and the rims are very expensive to replace so get that coverage.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 03:59 PM   #9
CactusDave
Rep
Drives: 2018 G12

I vote M

Wheel / tire package recommended
Appreciate 0