BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #45
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
This is very true.

A lot of internet people hate the grille on the 7 Series LCI, and that's their entitled opinion, but I would wager most of them are not in the market for that car anyway.

Some people who are potential 7 Series customers may also dislike the grille, no question about it, but I'm going to guess that the majority of people "outcrying" are not those people.

If anything, I bet if those people *were* suddenly in the market for a 7, they would change their tune. Simply put, if you buy a car in this class, you want it to look like you did. Who would want to buy the big boy big boss flagship, only to have it look demure and small? Maybe some, sure, but not most people. That's why Rolls-Royce and Bentley have enormous imposing grilles, and that's why the current 7 grille is right in line with with the A8, LS, G90, and S-Class.

Maybe you could argue it could have been designed better or integrated better, okay, but the sheer size of the grille is *not* the problem, and the majority of those who suggest otherwise can't afford one anyway (if I may use a harsh choice of words).
I didn't mind the LCI grill after seeing it in person, it does not photograph well. I was looking at a 745e, and the tiny trunk was unacceptable so I didn't order. I will say that the 4 Series grill looks just as awful in person as it does in photos, and if the new 7 Series looks anything like that I won't even consider it.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #46
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
This is very true.

A lot of internet people hate the grille on the 7 Series LCI, and that's their entitled opinion, but I would wager most of them are not in the market for that car anyway.

Some people who are potential 7 Series customers may also dislike the grille, no question about it, but I'm going to guess that the majority of people "outcrying" are not those people.

If anything, I bet if those people *were* suddenly in the market for a 7, they would change their tune. Simply put, if you buy a car in this class, you want it to look like you did. Who would want to buy the big boy big boss flagship, only to have it look demure and small? Maybe some, sure, but not most people. That's why Rolls-Royce and Bentley have enormous imposing grilles, and that's why the current 7 grille is right in line with with the A8, LS, G90, and S-Class.

Maybe you could argue it could have been designed better or integrated better, okay, but the sheer size of the grille is *not* the problem, and the majority of those who suggest otherwise can't afford one anyway (if I may use a harsh choice of words).
In my opinon, big grilles looked good enough on Bentleys, Rolls, Audis and Mercedes (and even Jaguars) but the one on the LCI 7 Series looked odd with the other main parts of the front. The front part which would be usually under the front end of the hood is in the grill or in another way to say the grill is in the hood. I think that the outcry and bashing were justified. The front of the car looked terrible with that grill when it was viewed straight on. Straight on pictures posted on the internet showed its 'ugliness' or disproportionation and may have made it appear worst, and thus the negative reactions of people on the internet including this forum are justified. The grill looked disproportionate and did not seem harmonic with the rest of the front. It was as if it did not belonged to that car, as if it was taken from another car and hanged on the car's front. There was definitely a feel of as if the grill was simply just not right. Its relative position, shape, curvature and lines may have contributed to its overall bad look and/or bad feeling about it. The Alpina front improved the front appearance. Big or small grill, the most important are its looks with the rest of the car, and its functions. If a bigger grill need be put for say more presence, it has to look good and be harmonic with the rest of the car, that is they have to ensure that its size, lines, curves and shape flow well with the remaining parts of the car on every angle view or ensure that the other parts fits esthetically good with it. The headlights and grill of a car makes a huge contribution to the visual feel and effect it gives; it can be compared to the eyes, nose and mouth. Like you said, the grill should have been designed and integrated better.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 10-06-2021 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #47
gunnersz
Registered
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 320dxdrive

The actual 7 series facelift is quite great looking but the new 7 series design is quite weird (or at least until it is released and get used to it)
Let's hope it doesn't look like these leaks
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #48
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Recently came across these renderings online. And I quite like them. Don't even mind the split headlight that much. Of course, the final thing might be away off!

10-05-2021, 10:57 PM   #49
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Beloved Bimmerposters,

There is no way under the sun that BMW does a split headlight design in the new X8 or the 7-Series refresh.

These rendering nerds are mistaking the dummy headlights on the test mules as permanent. Anyone who is familiar with previous test mules would know that they have done this before with the fake headlights.

Yes, the new headlights will be much thinner than what we're used to, but I promise there won't be four of them.
      10-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #50
Zodiac
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, M5 E60, M6 F12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Yes, the new headlights will be much thinner than what we're used to, but I promise there won't be four of them.
Your post made me open the photos again and I still wonder if the bottom part is the headlight, a vent or something else. I only see the upper, very thin part on (probably a daytime lights, made as two lines basically, longer - on the inside and shorter on the outside part of the thin headlight).

Looks like I need to ask around.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #51
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Quote:
Your post made me open the photos again and I still wonder if the bottom part is the headlight, a vent or something else. I only see the upper, very thin part on (probably a daytime lights, made as two lines basically, longer - on the inside and shorter on the outside part of the thin headlight).

The newer renders dropped the extra headlights.
Attached Images

10-06-2021, 06:16 PM   #52
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am talking about the new 7 series that goes on sale mid next year.

For the X7 or the X8 I have no idea and I do not care at all, as those are cars I would not put in my garage, ever. But if I would have to speculate, my expectations would be indeed a minor updates to X7 and rather the X8 sharing the design elements with new 7. Time will tell (or the whistleblowers). X7 is an LCI, while new 7 series is completely new platform, so makes no sense to change all the hardware on X7 just to make it 'look like new 7'. I would be too expensive for BMW, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #53
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Actually this is the render that comes very close when it comes to the headlights design of the new 7 series.

But from the photo I have the splitting part coming out from the bumper (its thinner than on the render btw) looks like its floating and I have no idea if the headlights is just the top, thin part or thats only daily lights and the bottom part acts as headlight as well. That is what I want to check tomorrow.

Overall its very 'predator' look and design, looks very good on the 7.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #54
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

I hope bmw already has an idea for frosty days for door handles in its new 7 series, or you will have to run to the car with a full bladder ...

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:36 PM   #55
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #56
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyW View Post
I hope bmw already has an idea for frosty days for door handles in its new 7 series, or you will have to run to the car with a full bladder ...

I guess hot water was unavailable!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #57
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Simply, no.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #58
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantosh Seewooruttun View Post
Simply, no.
It has some of the design elements of the production model, but overall a lot of stuff goes bad on this render:
- The grilles will be bigger (yeah, and I am not joking),
- The split headlights are almost right, but the vertical lines that define the upper part do line up with the real thing,
- The front end will be higher and larger, it will be one big m$@&#@ ;-)
- Everything thats below the grilles in the front (and around them) is completely off on the design, the real thing has "shark-like" design, which is something that extends current LCI 7 series (non-M Package models),
- Like I already wrote, the licence plate goes under the grill, its not slapped on it, there is a minimal amount of space there so I expect US plate will be a direct fit, EU plates have only few centimeters between the plate and bottom grill part,
- The back is wrong by a long shot, i.e. the real things has lights curved up on the sides and look very slick, back looks like tuned down version of 8 series,
- License plate will be placed at the bumper, which is one thing done right.

But its getting closer
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:30 PM   #59
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
It has some of the design elements of the production model, but overall a lot of stuff goes bad on this render:
- The split headlights are almost right, but the vertical lines that define the upper part do line up with the real thing,
- Everything thats below the grilles in the front (and around them) is completely off on the design, the real thing has "shark-like" design, which is something that extends current LCI 7 series (non-M Package models),
- Like I already wrote, the licence plate goes under the grill, its not slapped on it, there is a minimal amount of space there so I expect US plate will be a direct fit, EU plates have only few centimeters between the plate and bottom grill part,
- The back is wrong by a long shot, i.e. the real things has lights curved up on the sides and look very slick, back looks like tuned down version of 8 series,

But its getting closer
Are you still pretending you've seen it?
Al Pină1839.50
      10-15-2021, 09:48 PM   #60
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:

Simply, no.
The shape of the top headlight is not symmetrical left to right. Bad photoshop.
      10-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #61
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:

But its getting closer
Should we take that as a good thing or not? I mean the closer it seems to get, the uglier and more disgusting the next 7 Series appears to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #62
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:

Simply, no.
I think I have seen that car before? Is that a 2006 Infiniti M?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:27 AM   #63
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

https://www.motor1.com/news/541574/2...ts-spy-photos/

Name:  Screenshot_2021-10-19-16-21-52-1.png
Views: 323
Size:  1.02 MB
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #64
Zodiac
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Are you still pretending you've seen it?
Why would I even want to pretend anything? It's just a forum, not hall of fame, I am sharing what I know with the rest to give you some details. I know I would like to read it myself, if I would not see the real thing. You can ignore my comments if you're not interested.

All the details mentioned in my post will be seen soon, like the split headlights and license plated mounting spot being shown on latest mules. More will come.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #65
AD
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels and a door

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
The shape of the top headlight is not symmetrical left to right. Bad photoshop.
Avarvarii renders are rarely accurate, but the rushed poor quality is a surprise, he doesn't usually make such simple mistakes, guess he is just pumping out renders now. The side windows are incorrect, as is the A pillar, hood, hood closure, C pillar, side surfacing, and there is no kink in the lower rear trim on the actual car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmish View Post
I think I have seen that car before? Is that a 2006 Infiniti M?
Actually, a 5 series LWB, that was the first error of the render, basing it off a smaller car, the proportions will be wrong.

Quote:
Finally, if you look back in BMW history, you will see that they've used dummy/altered headlights on many of their camouflaged prototype cars, only to have the real version be revealed and look nothing like the camo car. But don't take my word for it…
It is true, BMW does use different lights that hide the design at first, and is quite evident on rear lights as well which sometimes are just round led lights looking nothing like the real units. The initial i8 test cars had this for example. But there is just some things camo can't hide and one can use that decipher the most likely design.

Quote:
Well you can believe it or not, I don't care. I got those details straight from the source.
You make it sound like this source is never wrong?

Quote:
No offence meant, and you might be right or wrong concerning the discussion here, but I want to point out something from what you posted.

'One of the changes happend when I got details regarding the G30 LCI grill design, which was going to be bigger and more aligned with 7 series, but they went back in one of the pre-production phases and cut it down because of the outcry with G11/G12 LCI version.'

So, according to what you posted, they did not change for a significantly bigger grille in the G30 because of the 'outcry with the G11/G12 LCI version', but then why they kept the big grille for the upcoming 7 Series? There is not much sense in their decisions. They should have gone for a smaller grill for the new 7-series if they really seen and seriously considered the so called 'outcry'.
The upcoming 7, like the new upcoming 5 and recently announced 2 series tourer, all have the radar moved from the lower bumper to grill. This unfortunately has the consequence of making the grill bigger to accommodate the radar. Could BMW have made the new 7 grill smaller, yup, but they have their reasons why it is large, be it for other sensors (future ones, for self driving?) or they just want a large prominent grill on their flagship.

Quote:
Except that is a rather old render and from schulte who rarely makes accurate renders anyways. This render appeared in a car and driver article from wait for it, 2018, so no, newer renders are not dropping the extra headlights.

Quote:

Vents in the lower lights? the spy photo clearly show glass and lights inside them, there are no vent in the lower lights. The newest photos even show more complex production ready lights. The vents will be in the lower parts of the bumper, similar placement like in the new 2 series tourer, but a different design.

Really curious who are you asking btw? People on the streets? BMW dealership employees? BMW employees? BMW 3rd party suppliers? Anyone who has any working relationship with bmw and future projects, has to sign an NDA and they are breaking it by revealing information. They may not care, but if they get caught breaking the NDA, there will probably be consequences, perhaps not financial but could be.

You will have to excuse my hesitancy, there have been a few "insiders" over the many years I have been on various forums, with almost all turning out to be bogus.

Quote:

But its getting closer
Who am I to say if you have seen it or not, maybe you have, maybe you haven't, maybe someone explained/drew the design for you, but the fact you only pointed certain features that are incorrect but missed others shows either:
A. you have seen it, but you decided not to mention those other mistakes (but why?)
B. you have NOT seen it.

I'll go with B myself for now, since you failed to point out the errors in the avarvarii render that even a regular person could see. Like the A pillar design, the side surfacing design, C pillar design, especially the new C pillar trim that is visible on the new test cars. Likewise there is no kink in the rear lower trim, yet you didn't point that out?

Sure some of the things you said could be seen as coming from an "insider" but then the same things could be interpreted from the spy photos, if they know what to look for and no the grill will not be bigger than what avarvarii made, the test cars refute this.

sorry for the long post everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #66
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep

How are you people still falling for the split headlight design? It's not happening. Look at the test mules. Those are dummy halogen style headlamps. They will not make it to the production vehicle. Mark my words.