BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
moebeamer
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7 series

Air suspension

Hi guys is it normal for the drivers side of the vehicle to be raised a little higher as compared to the passenger side? (This is when the car is parked) When I turn the car on the ride height evens out. Also, when you park the car do you hear your air compressor adjusting the height slightly once you leave the vehicle. Every time I get out of the car it lowers slightly when I lock it. Just wanted to know if this is normal operation or is something is wrong
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #2
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

Download the G12 Chassis and Suspension document and have a read.

Mine doesn’t run the compressor when I get out. Haven’t heard it whilst parked either.

I’ve had a difference in levels and it is caused by a leaking strut on one side.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 05:59 PM   #3
Nivea_GC
Banned
Rep
Drives: GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebeamer View Post
Hi guys is it normal for the drivers side of the vehicle to be raised a little higher as compared to the passenger side? (This is when the car is parked) When I turn the car on the ride height evens out. Also, when you park the car do you hear your air compressor adjusting the height slightly once you leave the vehicle. Every time I get out of the car it lowers slightly when I lock it. Just wanted to know if this is normal operation or is something is wrong
Am not sure that a normal stuff….Did you firgure out??
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 05:00 AM   #4
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebeamer View Post
The car adjusts itself when parked, this is mentioned at the Owners Manual. If listening carefully you can hear the air compressor doing this ("hissing" sound), depending the ... "smoothness" of the surface where parked. Totally normal, mine also does this.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:24 PM   #5
hbarron3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Any of y'all know of any good air strut replacements aside from OE? Any advise or recommendation would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 09:42 PM   #6
Danyal.N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 and BMW 7 Series

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i   [10.00]
The Adaptive Air Suspension will Automatically Adjust for Cornering and Self Leveling, But can be manually Rasied or Lowered via the Button in the Center Console near the PDC button. Now, At an angle it’ll automatically level the cornering Shown by Photos:
Attached Images

05-06-2023, 06:04 AM   #7
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarron3 View Post
Any of y'all know of any good air strut replacements aside from OE? Any advise or recommendation would be appreciated
If you can stretch it then I would really recommend OE struts. I have seen and heard enough negative about aftermarket struts, but I'm sure that there are more people out there that are happy with their aftermarket struts. We just dont hear about them.

Unless you buy your OE struts from dealer, the saving from aftermarket would only be third or fourth of the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal.N55 View Post
The Adaptive Air Suspension will Automatically Adjust for Cornering and Self Leveling, But can be manually Rasied or Lowered via the Button in the Center Console near the PDC button. Now, At an angle it’ll automatically level the cornering Shown by Photos:
Air suspension will not react to cornering or other dynamic driving forces. We got EDC, HRS(optional) and ARS(optional) for that.

Quote:
In order to guarantee uniform ride comfort independently of the load status, the G12 is equipped as
standard with air suspension on the front and rear axles. The two-axle ride level control of the
G12 is offered only in combination with electrically controlled shock absorbers.

The air suspension increases the ride comfort. The system performs adjustment mainly at standstill,
e.g. in order to compensate for a change in height due to the vehicle load. The inertia of the
system means that it cannot react to driving dynamics disturbance variables, which may occur when
the vehicle is driven quickly on twisting roads. Dynamic control when driving serves only to
compensate for changes in height due to a falling fuel tank volume as well as temperature changes
of the air in the air suspension struts.
The air suspension offers the following advantages:

• Increase in driving safety, since the self-levelling suspension automatically keeps the
height of the vehicle body at a predefined nominal ride-level in all load states.
• High ride comfort due to automatic adaptation of the oscillation behavior to the vehicle
weight.
• Increased customer benefit through manual level adjustment by means of the ride height
selection switch.
The hissing sound some of you might hear is car self leveling after your get yourself and your things out of the vehicle. Load changes and air is pumped back to pressure accumulator by weight on the wheels. Compressor is usually not required and should rarely work when stationary. The system has enough pressure accumulation capacity that compressor only kicks in for brief moment when the system has lost enough air via normal diffusion. If the compressor is working often then there is an abnormal leak in the system. This can kill compressor in short order as it was never designed for continuous operation.

Last edited by Raimo5; 05-06-2023 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 11:22 PM   #8
hbarron3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Thank you! I didn't find anything either from reputable brands or others with good experience. Looking for well priced OEM/OE then or refurbished with warranty. Appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0