BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #1
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

2018 M760I Run flat tire question

at about 12000 miles I replaced my original Run flat tires with Perelli P zero. I love the grip and lack of stock run flat tire noise (but...not crazy about the P Zero sidewalls not being as stiff as runflats, tho)

So, is there a standard RF the M760is had in the US in 2018, or did the brand vary? I "think" I had Bridgestones, but am not sure. I want to figure out which brand I likely had, so I can avoid them.

I have a C8 corvette Z51 with the stock Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 ZP. Runflats. They are amazing, and have none of the hum or noise at speed that my old RFs had. That particular Michelin, there is no way to get a staggered set that will fit the M760i (which sux), but there might be other RFs they make that are decent.

Last edited by mws; 11-30-2022 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: corrected "stuff" to read "stiff"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I think the OEM RFT are Goodyear. My car came with non RFT Michelin PSS so I can't say from personal experience but if you want RFT try looking for Goodyear
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

In the North American market, If 20" the OEM runflat was Bridgestone S001. IMO a horrible tire. Your other options are Goodyear Asymmetric 2 (eh, not a good choice), Goodyear Excellence (also hard pass) and finally the original Pirelli PZero and the PZero PZ4. IMO the best option is the PZero PZ4.
      11-13-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
Ironrose
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
In the North American market, If 20" the OEM runflat was Bridgestone S001. IMO a horrible tire. Your other options are Goodyear Asymmetric 2 (eh, not a good choice), Goodyear Excellence (also hard pass) and finally the original Pirelli PZero and the PZero PZ4. IMO the best option is the PZero PZ4.
+1
Bridgestone S001 was terrible tyre on my M760Li. Switched to the Michelin PS4S... Much much better, great feedback and gives confidence to push the car to its capabilities
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 03:01 PM   #5
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i xDrive

PZ4
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #6
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
yeah... that sounds real familiar. Thanks. I will look into the other options you mention. Meantime, check this picture out.

there's 17k miles on them. well, OK, that is a lot, but.... the rest of the rears and such, are still fine. I think run flats might wear more evenly, but also, camber is a issue. And tire pressure, but when I try to inflate them more than 35 lbs cold, they skip and fight for traction.

I am not surprised by this...that much. I have owned two E66 760Lis before this and they all rolled the front tires over in the turns. On those, you could loosen the upper strut bolts and camber them in a bit and solve it. Not on the M760i.

I am going to try this, to counteract the premature front wear due to that heavy-assed V12 engine.

https://kmacalign.com/product/bmw-f0...hes-194516-1j/
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 03:52 PM   #7
mws
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the nudge to the PZero run flat. I looked and had no idea there was a 220 Treadwear PZero that was run flat. The PZero PZ4 is 300 TW, so I went with the straight PZero run flat.

I got depressed when I first ditched the stock run flats and went to Michelin PS4s. Smooth, quiet and DAYAM! NO turn-in at all! Felt like I was driving on platform erasers. Yes, I know the tread was new, but I felt the Michelin sidewalls before they installed them. Totally mushy. Those are on my spare rims now. I should have just returned them. Then ordered regular PZeros. The sidewalls were a bit stiffer, but still mushy. I ordered them because I thought the nature of all RFs was they are noisy...until I got the Vette and now drive on a proper RF.

So this switch back to the PZero RFs on the M760i is amazing. There's a bit more road noise, sure, they are stiff, but no horrible low frequency, out-of-control vibrations at speed. The turn-in is amazing again. And hopefully, the front tires will not roll over as much in the turns.

I am in a similar position with the Michelin RFs on the Vette now. 300 TW, love the tires, but...I have some forged wheels coming in soon, and ordered some Sport Cup 2 tires, decently stickier than stock, much lighter weight, and dammit! the SC2 sidewalls are soft, between the bead and the tread. Hopefully, I will not get depressed over those as well, and have to go tire-hunting.

Thanks again, guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 08:50 PM   #8
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws View Post
Thank you for the nudge to the PZero run flat. I looked and had no idea there was a 220 Treadwear PZero that was run flat. The PZero PZ4 is 300 TW, so I went with the straight PZero run flat.

I got depressed when I first ditched the stock run flats and went to Michelin PS4s. Smooth, quiet and DAYAM! NO turn-in at all! Felt like I was driving on platform erasers. Yes, I know the tread was new, but I felt the Michelin sidewalls before they installed them. Totally mushy. Those are on my spare rims now. I should have just returned them. Then ordered regular PZeros. The sidewalls were a bit stiffer, but still mushy. I ordered them because I thought the nature of all RFs was they are noisy...until I got the Vette and now drive on a proper RF.

So this switch back to the PZero RFs on the M760i is amazing. There's a bit more road noise, sure, they are stiff, but no horrible low frequency, out-of-control vibrations at speed. The turn-in is amazing again. And hopefully, the front tires will not roll over as much in the turns.

I am in a similar position with the Michelin RFs on the Vette now. 300 TW, love the tires, but...I have some forged wheels coming in soon, and ordered some Sport Cup 2 tires, decently stickier than stock, much lighter weight, and dammit! the SC2 sidewalls are soft, between the bead and the tread. Hopefully, I will not get depressed over those as well, and have to go tire-hunting.

Thanks again, guys.
That's a really good point and I'm glad you shared it. I got my M760i about 8 months ago and have found the run-flats a bit harsh and loud at ~60, but I was expecting this after reading reviews. I can honelstly say though that they do not roll over in corners. They hold a line in a corner superbly and confidently. Remarkable for the weight transfer that happens on such a heavy frontend.

I remember when we got "winter traction rated" tires for the wife's car, one of it's design elements was a super soft side wall. Made it very compliant and less likely to break loose on ice. Kind of like wrinkle-wall drag slicks. Good for ice traction, but absolutely terrible for regular condition hard driving. Sucked balls to push hard in a corner. Side wall flex is certainly a major variable in driving dynamics.

I had been considering getting non-runflats for my next tire set, but now you have me re-thinking that.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #9
TrafficJam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2017 BMW M760I

Garage List
2017 BMW M760i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
I don't know about other run-flat, but I can tell you that GoodYear Asymmetric 2 are horrible. The side wall is way too hard. Those tires always develop bubbles or break after impact. They will also bent and crack your rims (especially the front consider how heavy the v12 is).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #10
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
The PZ4 is the best of that bunch no doubt
      12-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #11
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

The reason the runflats feel so "sharp" and turn in so well is because of their insanely rigid sidewalls...and I did enjoy that feeling when I had mine. However they are much worse in every other way...and while you get crisp initial turn-in with the runflats, I suspect you can't really pull any more grip in the corners with them as ultimately they tend to be harder and if anything have less maximum grip available. They do inspire confidence but it's a bit misleading, when I still had the Goodyears I pushed the car pretty hard around a few freeway ramps and it was definitely possible to make the car push as the front tires started to slip. My Continentals don't feel quite as sharp on turn-in now but there is more grip available and better overall handling since the tires seem to stay in contact with the road much better and let the suspension do its job vs. the rock-hard runflats practically bouncing off the road.

Also frankly if you live where the roads are bad you will be getting blown out sidewalls in runflat tires far more often than you'll ever be getting a flat with traditional tires, or at least that seems to be the case.
Appreciate 0