BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
wakas335i
Rep
Drives: looking for a 335i

Newbie with a 740D fault that wants to cry

Hi guys,

Probably the worst way to introduce myself but I have. 740D x drive G11.

I have got a fault where I could do with some guidance or help from fellow 7 enthusiasts.

While driving yesterday I got the dreaded “drivetrain error” message pop up with error warnings for PDC and collision warning etc

I pulled to a stop and turned the car on and off. It would start fine and Rev fine but it will not dis engage the gear. It is stuck in park. There is no green light on the gear stick lever. It won’t go into drive or Neutral at all.

I have read the codes and the only one I’m getting is the following:

5E Gear selector switch
1 error
E09400: Message (data display gear train, 0x3FD) missing, receiver GWS (LP-CAN), transmitter EGS (LP-CAN)

Has anyone had anything similar or able to point me in the right direction? Is it common for the gear Selector switch to go faulty. Car is 2016 with 57k miles.

Appreciate any help or comments gyal please!

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #2
matowi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: carless at the moment

Garage List
Oh my...

Knowing all well that my reply here is going to be utterly unhelpful, I will say I hope you fix this soon and that once fixed the fault does not reappear!

Also, when you do get it fixed, please post what the problem was and how it was addressed. Thank you!

And I do hope you get it repaired quickly and without massive expenses

Had '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #3
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

You will definitely need ISTA diagnostics...
  • Were there any previous disturbing strange behavior of the gearbox like jerks?
  • Has there been any modification to the gearbox software or the engine power software?
  • Are you the first owner of the car from new?
  • How he got home?

Possible solutions;
  • Basic gearbox service, filters and transmission oil, will take care of the matter
  • The gear selector will have to be replaced
  • Mechatronics is damaged - (the cost is terrible)

Without a proper diagnosis it is a "fantasy of tea leaves"

BMW has a procedure to replace parts in the style of, - not this one, then the next one, and if not the next one, then another one.- You pay for it, because the part installed is non-returnable and the queue for a specific part that is actually damaged in the case of a gearbox is quite long. If you have a trusted mechanic, I would strongly recommend you to contact him and it would be best if it was a place where they only repair gearboxes and clutches

Last edited by LuckyW; 12-05-2021 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:48 PM   #4
wakas335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyW View Post
You will definitely need ISTA diagnostics...
  • Were there any previous disturbing strange behavior of the gearbox like jerks?
  • Has there been any modification to the gearbox software or the engine power software?
  • Are you the first owner of the car from new?
  • How he got home?
I am hoping to have it diagnosed with ISTA+ tomorrow. I don’t have any direct experience with ISTA but whole it will narrow it down.

Car is completely stock and no issues with the gearbox previously at all. I am not the first owner but have been owner for over 14 months now and it has been serviced and maintained by bmw main dealer.

I had the car recovered to garage they lifted the car as it wouldn’t move due to being stuck in park and 4 wheel drive etc
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
wakas335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matowi View Post
Oh my...

Knowing all well that my reply here is going to be utterly unhelpful, I will say I hope you fix this soon and that once fixed the fault does not reappear!

Also, when you do get it fixed, please post what the problem was and how it was addressed. Thank you!

And I do hope you get it repaired quickly and without massive expenses
Will do my friend fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakas335i View Post
Car is completely stock and no issues with the gearbox previously at all. I am not the first owner but have been owner for over 14 months now and it has been serviced and maintained by bmw main dealer.
If there is a chance to repair it under warranty, fight like a tiger to make it happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
wakas335i
Rep

Quote:
If there is a chance to repair it under warranty, fight like a tiger to make it happen.
No warranty I’m afraid. They didn’t repair a faulty air suspension compressor which was fitted under warranty previously and lasted 9 months. Bmw are a pain to deal with here
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #8
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I had the car recovered to garage they lifted the car as it wouldn’t move due to being stuck in park and 4 wheel drive etc
A very wise and correct decision on your part
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 04:12 PM   #9
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

If they won’t do 100% under warranty, still push for goodwill, as dealer has a goodwill pot and has freedom to offer 100% or 0% when out of warranty - customer behaviour influences this quite a bit!
      12-05-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I keep my fingers crossed and please let me know how things are going ...

Joins you in pain, I hope you can handle it and the bill won't kill you. Regards Lucky. (i also have g11 740d x drive)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Check this procedure, (It doesn't always work, but it is worth a try.)
  1. Turn on the ignition. Start/Stop button, press the Start button but NOT press the brake pedal.
  2. All the dash lights will turn on. THE ENGINE SHOULD BE OFF.
  3. Now, press the gas pedal to the floor and keep it pressed. (Ensure the kick-down switch is pressed )
  4. Keep the gas pedal pressed for thirty seconds. (During this procedure, the engine should be off, ignition still on.)
  5. Release the gas pedal.
  6. Start engine and drive.
This will reset your transmission, shifting to original factory settings. (our BMW will monitor your driving patterns for the subsequent few driving cycles; do not drive aggressively. Drive the vehicle around for about 15-20 minutes, making sure transmission cycles through the gears several times to recalibrate the shift points.)

If your BMW is stuck in the park and the shifter won't come out, the problem could also be the brake light switch or park solenoid.

Last edited by LuckyW; 12-05-2021 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #12
Grizzle34
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 G12 740Ld Xdrive M Sport

firstly that doesnt sound gear selector mate, sounds more like a wiring issue has there ever been work done on the box or selector that you know of?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
wakas335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzle34 View Post
firstly that doesnt sound gear selector mate, sounds more like a wiring issue has there ever been work done on the box or selector that you know of?
Hi mate no work has been done on the box or selector previously.

Could it be the battery? I know there’s one under the bonnet and one in the boot but I suspect now maybe it’s a battery on its way out or alternator?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:40 PM   #14
wakas335i
Rep

Quote:
Check this procedure, (It doesn't always work, but it is worth a try.)
  1. Turn on the ignition. Start/Stop button, press the Start button but NOT press the brake pedal.
  2. All the dash lights will turn on. THE ENGINE SHOULD BE OFF.
  3. Now, press the gas pedal to the floor and keep it pressed. (Ensure the kick-down switch is pressed )
  4. Keep the gas pedal pressed for thirty seconds. (During this procedure, the engine should be off, ignition still on.)
  5. Release the gas pedal.
  6. Start engine and drive.
This will reset your transmission, shifting to original factory settings. (our BMW will monitor your driving patterns for the subsequent few driving cycles; do not drive aggressively. Drive the vehicle around for about 15-20 minutes, making sure transmission cycles through the gears several times to recalibrate the shift points.)

If your BMW is stuck in the park and the shifter won't come out, the problem could also be the brake light switch or park solenoid.
Hi Lucky,

I did try this and it didn’t fix it unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:17 AM   #15
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Could it be the battery? I know there’s one under the bonnet and one in the boot but I suspect now maybe it’s a battery on its way out or alternator?
I did not take into account the battery because you wrote that the car was on the road, it could also be this reason and let it be because it would be the cheapest of all possible repairs. I know that the system is smart enough that you would not be left without information about a weak battery, but hope is the last to die.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
wakas335i
Rep

Hi guys,

Just an update:

Battery and wiring has been tested so has the fuse and connectors. Mechanic suspects it’s mechatronics or Ecu of the gearbox

Mechanic also mentioned fault codes point towards no communication from the box itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #17
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Let me know how high your sentence is, I already have soft knees. I'm really sorry mate...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #18
alexvladv
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640 f13

I think your mechanic is right, the error points towards the ECU not sending the proper data or any at all, replacing it costs about 2k in the UK.
I might get a bit of hate by saying that the 7 series might actually be the worst BMW to own, I owned BMWs since I got my license, never ever had any issues with any, 2 E39s 530D, 525i, super solid cars, had a massive accident at around 90 MPH and I was perfectly fine, except my leather jacket, F06 that I swapped for the F13, both diesels, lovely cars to drive probably my favorite, and now the G11. Not gonna lie the G11 made me hate BMW quiet a bit, maybe it was a bad experience but there's a lot of negative "reviews" about them.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 03:27 AM   #19
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexvladv View Post
Not gonna lie the G11 made me hate BMW quiet a bit, maybe it was a bad experience but there's a lot of negative "reviews" about them.
I do not agree with you at all and it is no wonder that the car is practically top class, when it comes to gearboxes there is no better and more refined gearbox like a BMW. Volkswagen Group gearboxes DSG or TIPTRONIC are also very expensive and this is simply a nightmare when it comes to failure rate. I do not think at all that the G11/G12 version is more or less failure than other brands. 7-series is expensive to maintain but when purchased it is also expensive, production uses the latest and the best technology/materials that BMW has at the time of any 7-series production. In many cases it is a government car and this is the last place they wonder about repair costs.

I would not exchange my car for any other one that I had so far, it was not completely fault-free, because there was also a few things to do, but for me it's one of the best I ever had.

The only difference is that for the Volkswagen Group, you can even buy parts in a butcher's shop, up to the 7-series there may be little problems ...

Curiosity - BMW 7 Series will cost about $14,453 for maintenance and repairs during its first 10 years of service. This is more than the industry average for luxury sedan models by $2,749. There is also a 40.39% chance that a 7 Series will require a major repair during that time. (does not mean that it is worse, but more expensive)
BMWs do not break down at a higher or lower rate than other cars. RepairPal reports that the average BMW will need to visit a repair shop for unscheduled repairs 0.9 times per year.

GA8HP75Z (2nd Generation) - According to the opinion of many experts and users, the gearbox is really armored and widely used with a very large range of power in BMW models and other...
  • (Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Aston Martin DB11, Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2019), Alpina B5 (G30/31), BMW 5 series (G30/G31/F90), BMW X5 M (F85), BMW X6 M (F86), BMW 7 Series (G11/12), BMW X5 (F15), BMW X3 30D (G01), RAM 1500 (2019-), RAM 2500 (2019-), Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel (2017-), Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel (2020-), Jeep Gladiator Ecodiesel (2021-)

8HP is ZF Friedrichshafen AG's trademark name for its eight-speed automatic transmission models (8-speed transmission with Hydraulic converter and Planetary gearsets) for longitudinal engine applications, designed and built by ZF's subsidiary in Saarbrücken. It had its debut in the BMW 7 Series (F01) 760Li saloon fitted with the V12 engine, and since then each new BMW model in all Series down to the 1 Series in rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive versions have the option to been equipped with it.

One of its main aims is to improve vehicle fuel economy, and it can achieve an 11% saving compared to the ZF 6-speed transmission and 14% versus modern 5-speed transmissions. Due to changes in internal design, the shift times have reduced to 200 milliseconds; additionally, the unit brings the ability to shift in a non-sequential manner - going from gear 8 to gear 2 in extreme situations. In the 8HP70 version, it has a torque handling limit of 700 newton-metres (516 lbf⋅ft), and weighs 87 kilograms (192 lb).

Future development will see two four-wheel drive versions available, with a version destined for Volkswagen Group applications using a Torsen centre differential. It will be able to encompass a torque range from 300 newton-metres (221 lbf⋅ft) to 1,000 newton-metres (738 lbf⋅ft), and will be available for use in middle-class cars through to large luxury sport utility vehicles.

Chrysler Group LLC initially received the 8HP 8-speed automatic transmissions from the ZF plant in Saarbrücken, Germany. By 2013, in parallel with Chrysler Group, ZF had set up a new transmission production plant in Gray Court, South Carolina. ZF Friedrichshafen and Chrysler Group have reached a supply and license agreement for the 8HP. Chrysler Group is licensed to produce the 8HP at the company’s Kokomo Transmission Plant and the Kokomo Casting plant, production began in 2013. This transmission is marketed by Chrysler under their own brand name, the Torqueflite 8.

2nd generation 8HP products were released starting in 2014. Efficiency improvements over the original design include a wider ratio spread of 7.8:1, reduced drag torque from the shift elements, reduction in required oil pump pressure, and broadened use of the coasting and start-stop systems. ZF estimated fuel economy improvement over 1st generation 8HP kits to be 3%. Refinements were also made with respect to vibration.

3rd generation 8HP products were released starting in 2018. Major improvements are total spread of 8.6 and a fuel economy improvement of 2.5% compared to the 2nd generation. There are several options in maximum torque available, also the gearbox is available with mild hybrid and plug in hybrid options: With 15 kW and 200 NM supporting boosting and recuperation in combination with 48 Volt technology up to 90 kW and 250 NM for usage with higher voltage.
Attached Images

Last edited by LuckyW; 12-13-2021 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 05:37 AM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Plenty of ghosts in the G11 machine but I'm surprised at the gearbox it's a ZF8 (gen 2) and I've never had an issue with any car using it, it's the best auto on the market.
      12-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #21
wakas335i
Rep

Hi guys,

I picked up the car yesterday. Brand new mechatronics fitted and a gearbox service cost £2000 all in including labour
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 03:05 AM   #22
matowi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: carless at the moment

Garage List
Is it all good now? Cost was steep...

Had '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0