BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-25-2022, 01:23 AM   #1
Sauceii World
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: g12 750xi , f13 M6

Best Oil typed for higher milage

Need to change my oil ,what is everyone running on their higher milage 750’s?
I have a 2017 750xi over 70k on the clock . Trying to save time and $$ by avoiding the dealer. Thanks in advance guys
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:52 AM   #2
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

I have my 740d from 18K km and I do service by myself every 10K km with Castrol Edge 5W30 M no problems with engine attachments so far. Honestly all my previous car's was (German) and always I used castrol edge 5w30

I will even tell you more, I had a package of four BMW services at the dealer and after each service I did at the dealer, I poured out the oil they poured in and poured in the oil that I always use, i.e. Castrol Edge, because they do not use Castrol but now use some inventions and this oil is called Berlin oil (and they introduced such savings in Europe in Ireland I do not know this oil, I do not trust this oil and I do not use this oil, so I only use Castrol Edge)

I can honestly say that I am very happy with this oil and so far nothing is happening to the engine
Attached Images

Last edited by LuckyW; 06-27-2022 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
Sauceii World
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks for the info , I have 750xi so want to double check the correct oil id imagine the difference in engines would need a different weight but maybe not ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyW View Post
I have my 740d from 18K km and I do service by myself every 10K km with Castrol Edge 5W30 M no problems with engine attachments so far. Honestly all my previous car's was (German) and always I used castrol edge 5w30

I will even tell you more, I had a package of four BMW services at the dealer and after each service I did at the dealer, I poured out the oil they poured in and poured in the oil that I always use, i.e. Castrol Edge, because they do not use Castrol but now use some inventions and this oil is called Berlin oil (and they introduced such savings in Europe in Ireland I do not know this oil I do not trust this oil and I do not use this oil so I only use Castrol Edge)

I can honestly say that I am very happy with this oil and so far nothing is happening to the engine
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The recommended oil viscosity is listed in your owners manual AND in the owners manual built into iDrive. The iDrive version of the manual is VIN specific…so 99% of the info is based on how your car is optioned and what engine you have etc.

Have you checked there to see what BMW recommends? They don’t recommend a “brand name” but they do list the recommend oil viscosity.

See examples below from my 650iX GC which has the N63TU engine…again, if you pull this up in iDrive…it will give specific oil viscosity recommendations for your car:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #5
Sauceii World
Enlisted Member
Rep

Awesome info , I’m seeing 0w 30 for mine however I have always ran 5w 30 . Did my oil change with 5w 30 then saw your post so not sure if I should redo it or just rock the 5w 30 for the warmer months then change it again to 0w 30 when it gets cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The recommended oil viscosity is listed in your owners manual AND in the owners manual built into iDrive. The iDrive version of the manual is VIN specific…so 99% of the info is based on how your car is optioned and what engine you have etc.

Have you checked there to see what BMW recommends? They don’t recommend a “brand name” but they do list the recommend oil viscosity.

See examples below from my 650iX GC which has the N63TU engine…again, if you pull this up in iDrive…it will give specific oil viscosity recommendations for your car:
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You only have one oil viscosity listed in your manual?

As you can see for my situation, 0w-30/5w-30/0w-40/5w-40 are all listed as being usable. If it is the same for your engine, I’d leave the 5w-30 in for now…and you can decide which of the recommended oil viscosities you want to use next time.

I have the N63TU engine and just stick with the same oil viscosity/oil brand (Pennzoil 5w-30) since I can get 5 quart jugs of it at my local Walmart at a reasonable cost. It meets the BMW LL-01 requirement.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #7
Sauceii World
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info , after talking with my service advisor for a bit and collecting a bunch of info from different sources I’m going to do a write up with all the info . Have always done my simple service myself and for some reason finding all the exact info was hard to get haha . But got it all figured out now and think a write up would benefit more members as these car age and people buy them with higher milage out of warranty
Appreciate 0