BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #23
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
Don't think I'll wait on the day that we see something truly different from Alpina. It's the same treatment, all the time.
To me, that's part of the appeal of Alpina. Especially when it comes to the B7.
      07-25-2015, 09:41 AM   #24
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

I do not see a reason why I would spend money on this.....when a BMW 760Li M Sport is and will be a better packaged vehicle

760 Li M Sport > Alpina B7
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #25
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Looks really good. Now if this can come in RWD only format...
      07-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #26
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

There is not much to say about this, Alpina does a great job when it comes to the small fast cars like the B3, but I thought the B7 was a big disappointment (I tested the RWD model only) for a number of reasons. I even thought the 750i was better!

For me: 760i>B7
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb

I don't care what NOBODY says... Those horrendous PITA to clean wheels have to go!

Pretty damn sad BMW won't just offer up a ///M7.
      07-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #28
Ninong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm disappointed to see those same old heavy cast alloy wheels. I was expecting them to switch to the lighter forged alloy wheels like they have on the Edition 50 models.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #29
Ninong
Private First Class
Rep

Oops! I just realized that's just a "rendering," and those wheels may not be on the actual car when it comes out. If they are, I would be surprised. No one likes them because they have been around too long and are very much out of date. No one puts cast alloy wheels on a car in that class anymore. No one! (Except for BMW. I guess I forgot that the current M5 Competition Package wheels are cast alloy instead of forged alloy like the regular M5 wheels. At least they give you a choice and you can opt for the forged alloy wheels instead.)

They have beautiful forged alloy wheels on their Edition 50 cars that are very much Alpina wheels, just slightly different but much lighter in weight and more modern looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #30
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
That looks mind blowing!!! I might just get me one those!!! - used of course - the moment it drives off the dealership BAMM!! thats 30000? gonne. But the time you get home another 15000? gonne.
YEP and the same with your M6 mate
      07-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #31
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
That looks mind blowing!!! I might just get me one those!!! - used of course - the moment it drives off the dealership BAMM!! thats 30000? gonne. But the time you get home another 15000? gonne.
YEP and the same with your M6 mate
Sorry I dont drive boats on the road. I own a 1972 E9 coup thats now worth almost twice as much as I paid for it 5 years ago and a Z4M coup thats holding its value steady and likely to go up.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #32
luigimaster24
Major
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i & 2021 X6M Comp

It's gonna be a beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:25 AM   #33
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninong View Post
Oops! I just realized that's just a "rendering," and those wheels may not be on the actual car when it comes out. If they are, I would be surprised. No one likes them because they have been around too long and are very much out of date. No one puts cast alloy wheels on a car in that class anymore. No one! (Except for BMW. I guess I forgot that the current M5 Competition Package wheels are cast alloy instead of forged alloy like the regular M5 wheels. At least they give you a choice and you can opt for the forged alloy wheels instead.)

They have beautiful forged alloy wheels on their Edition 50 cars that are very much Alpina wheels, just slightly different but much lighter in weight and more modern looking.
This rendering is going to be close to production. Alpina is pretty conservative in design. They always use the non-M Sport bumpers and have the same ground effects / wheel designs. I don't think the wheels are going to change in the next few decades. It's an iconic wheel design.

I think the render is beautiful, luxury meets speed.
      08-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #34
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul
That's no joke my friends 07 did just that. Amazing how close it was from zero to 100 against my E60 M5 and now my M4.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #35
Blackraven
Captain
Rep

Unfortunately though, since there is no intention for BMW to build an M7, then it is highly likely that the Audi S8 PLUS will easily beat the performance of the upcoming Alpina B7.

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #36
Ninong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
This rendering is going to be close to production. Alpina is pretty conservative in design. They always use the non-M Sport bumpers and have the same ground effects / wheel designs. I don't think the wheels are going to change in the next few decades. It's an iconic wheel design.
I'm wondering if maybe Alpina will move to something a little more modern, like the forged wheels they use on the Edition 50 models. BMW makes a point of telling you that the individual wheels for the new 7-series are forged wheels, not cast. Alpina makes a point of telling you that the Alpina wheels on the Edition 50 models are forged, not cast.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #37
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Unfortunately though, since there is no intention for BMW to build an M7, then it is highly likely that the Audi S8 PLUS will easily beat the performance of the upcoming Alpina B7.
Not many people who would buy a 7 series to compare performance spec. It's a highway cruiser. I had a 750Li, I just loved the road presence and the V8. It handled great for a big car.

Audi's S8 Plus will be at 605HP. BMW Alpina B7 has 600HP and weigh about the same as the S8 Plus. BMW xDrive is actually superior compared to Audi's outdated Quattro (for handling). BMW is near 50/50 balance while Audis struggle being front heavy. Audis tend to understeer vs BMWs oversteer (more desirable to oversteer). Don't be so sure yet that Audi S8 Plus is the faster/better/more fun to drive car.

Example: My X5M on paper, seems like it would be slower than a $175k Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. But it's not...

Last thing to consider, the Alpina cars are rare. It would be a collectible worth good money if you hang on to it. Not sure if any Audi S8 will be a collectible's item.

Last edited by JNoSol; 08-24-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #38
adamg13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Coupe

Audis lease prices are always garbage compared to a comparably priced BMW as well. Really wouldn't want to buy one of these cars with the piss poor reliability these boosted engines are showing lately, so the lease price weighs in heavily to me. Even if the performance is better in the S8, I'd take the looks, interior, and net cost of the B7.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 04:16 AM   #39
Blackraven
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not many people who would buy a 7 series to compare performance spec. It's a highway cruiser. I had a 750Li, I just loved the road presence and the V8. It handled great for a big car.

Audi's S8 Plus will be at 605HP. BMW Alpina B7 has 600HP and weigh about the same as the S8 Plus. BMW xDrive is actually superior compared to Audi's outdated Quattro (for handling). BMW is near 50/50 balance while Audis struggle being front heavy. Audis tend to understeer vs BMWs oversteer (more desirable to oversteer). Don't be so sure yet that Audi S8 Plus is the faster/better/more fun to drive car.

Example: My X5M on paper, seems like it would be slower than a $175k Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. But it's not...

Last thing to consider, the Alpina cars are rare. It would be a collectible worth good money if you hang on to it. Not sure if any Audi S8 will be a collectible's item.
Valid points (especially regarding steering of the Audi). Fair enough.

Nevertheless, I would never consider Alpina to be a performance marque of BMW though. That title belongs to the M Division.

Alpina looks like some poser/aftermarket firm (even though they are built directly at BMW factories in Dingolfing). No brand prestige or brand affiliation that identifies themselves as premium performance (e.g. in the way AMG, Quattro S/RS, Jaguar Land Rover SVR identify themselves as a performance brand).

Alpina cars look like bling machines instead of premium performance stock configuration vehicles.

Oh and this

760Li M-Sport would have been a much better competitor

Quote:
Audis lease prices are always garbage compared to a comparably priced BMW as well. Really wouldn't want to buy one of these cars with the piss poor reliability these boosted engines are showing lately, so the lease price weighs in heavily to me. Even if the performance is better in the S8, I'd take the looks, interior, and net cost of the B7.
Well we can also say the same thing about poor reliability of certain BMW cars as well *cough*N63*cough*.

So it goes either way as well.

In any case, for me, the Alpina B7 is irrelevant. Only a *true* M7 would be the performance variant of the brand. Otherwise, that title goes to the 760Li M-Sport

760Li M-Sport >>>> Alpina B7
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #40
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Valid points (especially regarding steering of the Audi). Fair enough.

Nevertheless, I would never consider Alpina to be a performance marque of BMW though. That title belongs to the M Division.

Alpina looks like some poser/aftermarket firm (even though they are built directly at BMW factories in Dingolfing). No brand prestige or brand affiliation that identifies themselves as premium performance (e.g. in the way AMG, Quattro S/RS, Jaguar Land Rover SVR identify themselves as a performance brand).

Alpina cars look like bling machines instead of premium performance stock configuration vehicles.
Don't get me wrong, BMW isn't the best in class for all segments. The 7 has always been the one struggle to keep up with the Audi S8 and Merc S63 as far as performance and interior. BMW has an identity crisis with the 7. It's very hard for BMW to determine if they should make it sporty or comfortable.

At the end of the day, BMW wants sales. The exterior styling, driving dynamic, and comfort are its highest priority. The new one now focus on the interior as well. They realized that a 7 buyers didn't care how fast it goes 0-60 or what it can do in quarter mile.

When I bought my 7, I loved the styling and how it drove. I didn't even bother to research the speed department. When I bought my F80 M3, I did so much research my eyes started crossing. The M3 (and 3 series) is untouchable in its class. Same goes with my X5M. Tons of research and BMW came out a winner for performance/styling/handling.

The moral of the story is the drivers who love BMWs and wants the biggest/rarest version (that will be worth a lot if you hang onto it), the Alpina B7 will win. If you can get pass the Audi's boring exterior lines and plan to hit the track every weekend, then the Audi S8 Plus will do. If you like technology, the S63 wins that category (although the new 7 gives them a run for the money).

BMW knows damn well a 7 buyer isn't tracking their cars. And since they're doing so well in China, Chinese execs don't drive their cars so they can care less about 0-60. They sit in the back seats.

The guys who buy the B7 wear Patek Philippe watches, make over $275k, and live in the neighborhood where there are dozens of S8s and S63s in a mile radius. They trust BMW engineering and wants the rarest big car, which is the B7. Do you think Patek Philippe watches are more accurate or have more functionality than a $20 Casio? Of course not, this segment of consumers buy nice watches for status and to be unique. If they wanted to compare specs to milisec, they would rather wear an Apple or Droid watch. Regardless, the B7 will lay down respectable numbers and cornering without sacrificing creature comfort.

I would love to get my hands on one.
      08-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #41
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

I think we will see another story with the new B7.
It will be miles better in every aspect than its predecessor!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #42
Carguy59
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750li

Someone who fnally gets it

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, BMW isn't the best in class for all segments. The 7 has always been the one struggle to keep up with the Audi S8 and Merc S63 as far as performance and interior. BMW has an identity crisis with the 7. It's very hard for BMW to determine if they should make it sporty or comfortable.

At the end of the day, BMW wants sales. The exterior styling, driving dynamic, and comfort are its highest priority. The new one now focus on the interior as well. They realized that a 7 buyers didn't care how fast it goes 0-60 or what it can do in quarter mile.

When I bought my 7, I loved the styling and how it drove. I didn't even bother to research the speed department. When I bought my F80 M3, I did so much research my eyes started crossing. The M3 (and 3 series) is untouchable in its class. Same goes with my X5M. Tons of research and BMW came out a winner for performance/styling/handling.

The moral of the story is the drivers who love BMWs and wants the biggest/rarest version (that will be worth a lot if you hang onto it), the Alpina B7 will win. If you can get pass the Audi's boring exterior lines and plan to hit the track every weekend, then the Audi S8 Plus will do. If you like technology, the S63 wins that category (although the new 7 gives them a run for the money).

BMW knows damn well a 7 buyer isn't tracking their cars. And since they're doing so well in China, Chinese execs don't drive their cars so they can care less about 0-60. They sit in the back seats.

The guys who buy the B7 wear Patek Philippe watches, make over $275k, and live in the neighborhood where there are dozens of S8s and S63s in a mile radius. They trust BMW engineering and wants the rarest big car, which is the B7. Do you think Patek Philippe watches are more accurate or have more functionality than a $20 Casio? Of course not, this segment of consumers buy nice watches for status and to be unique. If they wanted to compare specs to milisec, they would rather wear an Apple or Droid watch. Regardless, the B7 will lay down respectable numbers and cornering without sacrificing creature comfort.

I would love to get my hands on one.

I agree 1000%!! IMHO, BMW knows its target market ,and I feel they do a pretty good job at it. If somebody likes Mercedes, more power to you. Benz is a good auto, I dont want one, but thats just my prefrence. Ive never read that BMW is complaining about not selling enough 7 cars. I know more is always better, but is to much good for the image? I very much enjoy my 7 cars(2001 E38il,2007 E66) and it would be very difficult to get me to change my prefrence. And yes, I have driven the competitors in the field, and just wasnt swayed one way or the other. I dont care if the big time rappers or rich oil people drive Benz for the most part, I enjoy what the 7 delivers to the driving experience. Its a nice feeling when you get the stare at the traffic light!
Appreciate 1