BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

750i Must Have Options

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My father is looking to join the BMW family and purchase his first BMW, a 750i. He's values comfort over everything else and doesn't like or appreciate M Sport type options that I love on my F30. What would you guys suggest? I'm thinking the Autobahn Package would help with ride comfort? Do you notice a difference in seat comfort with\without the ventilated and massage seat options? Any tips would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Integral steering wheel is a must , he should stay away from run flat tires if possible .I find them not uncomfortable but some does .
I don't have G11/12 7 Series but drove once
      12-17-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
+1 for Integral steering. For me the massage seats were a must because of back issues on longer drives. I also see no reason not to order both Driver Assist packages. Next would be the cold weather package unless you are in an area where it never gets cold.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 12-17-2016 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
hwaghela
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750 i X drive, BMW i8 2019

Massage front/ rear
remote control parking
interior pkg comes with Alacantara headliner
don't order rear lounge pkg
rear entertainment is useless
std speakers are good
car with or without MSport both drive good.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
hwaghela
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750 i X drive, BMW i8 2019

Massage front/ rear
remote control parking
interior pkg comes with Alacantara headliner
don't order rear lounge pkg
rear entertainment is useless
std speakers are good
car with or without MSport both drive good.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Is there a seat difference between M-Sport and Non-Msport?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Redbaron1973
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and G02 X4

No, same seats, same suspension bar 10mm ride height at rest.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
No, same seats, same suspension bar 10mm ride height at rest.
Thanks for the feedback, good to know. Autobahn Package worth it? Trying to find a local one to test out with that package to see if the 4 wheel steering and the road preview feature they borrowed from rolls Royce is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

I got the Autobahn package, but I've never driven a new 7 without it, so I can't say for sure the impact it makes.

It has a tight turning circle in parking lots, so that may be the 4-wheel steering at work. Lane changes are nice and direct, that may be it working as well.

The Road Preview is the biggest question mark for me. I was expecting it to function like the S-Class's Magic Body Control, but I don't feel an incredibly obvious and noticeable evening out of speed bumps and potholes. It could be that all of the demos I've seen of the Mercedes system are showcasing different terrain (speed tables, for example), and neither system is well-equipped to handle the types of road imperfections I'm talking about. I've never driven a 7 without it though, so it's possible getting in to one without the feature would make its benefits extremely apparent.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 06:20 AM   #10
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
I got the Autobahn package, but I've never driven a new 7 without it, so I can't say for sure the impact it makes.

It has a tight turning circle in parking lots, so that may be the 4-wheel steering at work. Lane changes are nice and direct, that may be it working as well.

The Road Preview is the biggest question mark for me. I was expecting it to function like the S-Class's Magic Body Control, but I don't feel an incredibly obvious and noticeable evening out of speed bumps and potholes. It could be that all of the demos I've seen of the Mercedes system are showcasing different terrain (speed tables, for example), and neither system is well-equipped to handle the types of road imperfections I'm talking about. I've never driven a 7 without it though, so it's possible getting in to one without the feature would make its benefits extremely apparent.
Thank you for the feedback, I'm assuming you cross shopped the s-class. What made you pick the 7 instead of the S? Personally I cannot stand the MB infotainment system.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Yellowtag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 750

I was looking at the MB S-class as well as the 7. Ive always been a BMW owner but I figured I would give it a test drive. The S-Class was just too soft and floaty of a ride for me. I felt more connected with the 7. I do a lot of highway driving and I want to feel like I have a performance vehicle that can handle if I need it to. I didn't feel like I got that with the Mercedes. It was a 550 not a AMG. Just my .02

I do however love the interior lighting of the S-Class. Kudos to Mercedes for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #12
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtag View Post
I was looking at the MB S-class as well as the 7. Ive always been a BMW owner but I figured I would give it a test drive. The S-Class was just too soft and floaty of a ride for me. I felt more connected with the 7. I do a lot of highway driving and I want to feel like I have a performance vehicle that can handle if I need it to. I didn't feel like I got that with the Mercedes. It was a 550 not a AMG. Just my .02

I do however love the interior lighting of the S-Class. Kudos to Mercedes for that.
I'll have to agree with you on that.. I've driven both the s-550 and the bmw 750i and the benz did feel quite floaty. I also drove the AMG variant, that one handled much better, very similar to the 750.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #13
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

It as a tough call. They're so very close for me, even though they are also very different.

The S-Class has a little more refinement in the ride and general feel of the car, which is most noticeable when it comes to minor pavement chatter. In the grand scheme of things it's hardly detectable unless you're looking for it. And I got comfort-oriented tires, which helped close the gap even further, but it's still there, if you're trying to feel for it.

I like the interior design of the S-Class a smidge more as well, and I like how it looks from the front better, it has more presence from that angle.

However, the BMW is faster, handles better, drives better, has more features, looks better from the side and rear, and has a more modern and youthful interior design. Even though I slightly prefer the S-Class interior design, I can appreciate the advantages of the 7-Series' interior design. The quality of the interior is equal between the two, in terms of craftsmanship and material quality.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #14
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you everyone for your input! Happy to announce that the order was placed yesterday. It took quite a bit of test driving and looking around to figure out what feature\color combo worked best for him. An interesting point to note is that the found the non-massaging seats more comfortable than the ones that included the feature. He ended up going with a 740i xDrive with the following configuration:

2017 740i xDrive

Black Sapphire Metallic
Individual Caramel/Black Full Merino Leather
Fineline Black Wood Trim

Autobahn Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus II
Executive Package
19" V-Spoke Wheels W\All Season RFT (Gonna Change out for Non-RFT)
Stainless Steel Pedals
Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof
Apple Car Play
Night Vision w/ Pedestrian Detection
Space-Saver Spare Tire

Thanks again for all the help, I'll be sure to take pics and make a thread once it is delivered!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #15
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Congrats, I'm very pleased to see you placed an order for it
Congrats,
Happy New Year and Driving
      12-29-2016, 11:53 AM   #16
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just got a call from my CA... Unfortunately BMW isnt taking any more individual orders for the 2017 model year. We will be required to wait until the 2018 production starts in March... Unfortunate... I'm curious if anything is changing?
Appreciate 0