BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

02-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
001BMW
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 750i xDrive

Upgrade Existing Hard Drive?

So I just bought a 2014 BMW 750ix a little over a week ago (traded in a long-owned and much-loved 2009 version of this car to get the upgraded one), and one thing I still detest about these $110k cars is the lack of available hard drive space (20GB? Seriously, come on, BMW! We pay a fortune for these things, and you upgraded everything else on the car, give us a bigger hard drive, too!)

Anyway, I'm something of an audiophile, and my music collection is kind of...big...to put it mildly. Whilst I am fully-aware of the fact that I can just plug in a flash drive with all my music on it into the now-one-and-only USB port in the centre console and play all my music that way, that unfortunately ties up the means I utilise to charge my iPhone when it's in the car. (Only one USB port in this car is also utterly ridiculous, even for a car from back in 2014...)

Before anyone starts rolling their eyes at the fact that I still upload music to storage devices instead of just streaming via BT from my mobile, consider the fact that audio quality is significantly degraded when doing this - iPhones automatically compress and downgrade audio quality so they can cram more into less space, and I like FLAC (lossless) audio, which iPhone also doesn't like - not to mention the pain-in-the-bum lag I often experienced when I tried playing my music on my iPhone through BT - NOT fun.

Anyway, is it possible to swap out the existing 20GB drive in this car for a larger-capacity one, and if so, where do I go to find out specs needed for it to work with my car? If it's not possible, could someone tell me so?

Cheers,

-Kristofer X.
Appreciate 0