BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-10-2018, 12:58 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Transmission Malfunction; Dealer States Mechatronics :(

Received Transmission Malfunction message on iDrive and dealer states Mechatronics unit is bad.

Transmission previously replaced April 2017; relevant portion of invoice for same attached.

Can someone please tell me whether or not what's shown on the invoice shows if the Mechatronics unit was replaced.

In other words, does a transmission come with a Mechatronics unit? If so, should be covered under BMW's 2 year parts warranty.

Please advise ASAP.

Thank you very much for your desperately needed help!
Attached Images

Last edited by dbs600; 08-10-2018 at 01:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Sorry for the bother everyone, but I’m losing my mind!

Car has been at the dealer for the past 2.5 months.

Mechatronics unit and guibo flex disc replaced.

I road tested this past Monday, and upon doing so, a chassis stabilization message came up; happened when accelerating during a U-turn.

Error went away after a bit, but I was able to reproduce upon doing same a second time. Thankfully, I was able to get the photos attached.

Dealer scanned the car and determined it needs a transfer case. From what I understand, however, the code went away after scanning and a GEICO inspector was unable to view the code upon visiting.

GEICO states they can send an inspector out again if the message comes back, but I don’t understand how the dealer wasn’t able to save the code so the inspector could view same!?

Also, what does it mean when a message comes and goes on the screen; that it doesn’t remain? Apparently the dealer was still able to pull a code without the message being on the screen.

Please also view the following videos re. another separate concern regarding a noise (note the titles of the videos include the times at which the noise happens in the videos):

It's a popping noise from front driver’s side, which can usually be reproduced on the lip of the driveway, and occurs during steering, most of the time when the car is in motion (usually making a left turn, or backing up to the right, after having turned the wheel to the right). Sounds like something popping / loose / not ‘torqued’ down properly.

Seems to happen when moving over parts of the road that aren’t completely flat or turning onto the lip of a driveway, and then backing up over same (to turn around). One or two times the noise also happened upon hard braking (when going straight), when weight shifted to the nose of the car.

Dealer replaced several underbody panels, but can’t figure it out; many other front end parts have been replaced in recent time as well.

What the hell is going on!?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Update:

GEICO authorized transfer case replacement; so I'll road test my car again after same.

In the meantime, if anyone has any input re. the popping noise while turning, please let me know. Not the axles, as they've been replaced.

Also note the popping noise is a completely separate matter from the transmission / transfer case matter, as it has something to do with steering / suspension when body under load (the car was brought in for the popping noise at the same time as the transmission matter). Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Last edited by dbs600; 10-20-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Dealer states left front knuckle, control arm and ball joint for the intermittent front-end popping noise upon turning.

I state replacement of these parts will impact alignment. Dealer states tie rods are seized and quoted me $1,100 to replace.

I ask they try PB B'laster anti-seize grease or similar. Dealer states they’ve tried and don’t want to risk breaking the rods. I don’t believe them, however, and feel they’re try to get me for the $1,100.

Is $1,100 reasonable? Anyone know what an indy might charge? Crazy they're seized to being with. :|

Thank you.
Appreciate 0