BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #1
skindoc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 M50i

Rear infotainment monitors

2022 BMW 740i

What are the options to watch movies on rear monitors? Can I install Plex app?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
You can't install any apps on the back screen, nor on the touch command.

With an android phone you can mirror the screen to the back screens. But i've never tried this, as I have an iphone.

I used to connect an iphone with an HDMI cable to the HDMI Input of the the car. That worked quite good, but Netflix and co. blocks the streaming over this connection.

Actually I've installed Apple TV in the car. I'm using an 12v Inverter with it. I'm connecting apple TV with my mobile hotspot. Its better than the cars Hotspot because its 5G, the car offers only 4G!
Everthing takes places under the driverseats in the back.

This works perfect for me and I can watch everything I want without restriction. This will probably also work with Plex.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody View Post
Actually I've installed Apple TV in the car. I'm using an 12v Inverter with it. I'm connecting apple TV with my mobile hotspot. Its better than the cars Hotspot because its 5G, the car offers only 4G!
Everthing takes places under the driverseats in the back.
Do you have any installation pictures? This sounds nice.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:41 AM   #4
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
The installation is quite very basic...

I got a Apple TV 4K Box, a 12v 150w inverter, a short HDMI cable and a 12v extension cable.

To protect the installation I made a wood cover, so no one kicks against it and everything stays under the seat.

The inverter is connected to the front 12v cigarette lighter. If someone wants to use Apple TV, the driver connects it, otherwise it is off. I'm using a 12v extension cable as the converter cable is too short.

Apple TV is connected to the HDMI port in the back. I use the original remote control to select the apps and channels.

I'm using the Wi-Fi Hotspot function of my iphone 13. Unfortunatly Apple TV does not connect to the iphone automaticly, so I've to do it manually. I didn't find how to do it automaticly. As I told this works on 5G, so it works very well even here in Switzerland. Sure sometimes the picture blocks, but that is rare. If I use the car Hotspot (4G) its not so smooth.

I agree a professional would do a better build, but this is based on my knowledge and very simple to do. And it works! Also you can remove it without trace.

I've tried also a smaller inverter. But the fan was to noisy. The one I got is silent.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KK22137.50
      11-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #5
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody View Post
The installation is quite very basic...

I got a Apple TV 4K Box, a 12v 150w inverter, a short HDMI cable and a 12v extension cable.

To protect the installation I made a wood cover, so no one kicks against it and everything stays under the seat.

The inverter is connected to the front 12v cigarette lighter. If someone wants to use Apple TV, the driver connects it, otherwise it is off. I'm using a 12v extension cable as the converter cable is too short.

Apple TV is connected to the HDMI port in the back. I use the original remote control to select the apps and channels.

I'm using the Wi-Fi Hotspot function of my iphone 13. Unfortunatly Apple TV does not connect to the iphone automaticly, so I've to do it manually. I didn't find how to do it automaticly. As I told this works on 5G, so it works very well even here in Switzerland. Sure sometimes the picture blocks, but that is rare. If I use the car Hotspot (4G) its not so smooth.

I agree a professional would do a better build, but this is based on my knowledge and very simple to do. And it works! Also you can remove it without trace.

I've tried also a smaller inverter. But the fan was to noisy. The one I got is silent.
Nice set up! If only Apple made a smaller version of the Apple TV like a fire stick. I actually have been using a fire stick or a external thumb drive. I think I like the external thumb drive option best
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
EngKoD
Retired Gamer
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: BMW 740Li

I have android and I tested screen mirroring and it's working superb in YouTube
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skindoc View Post
Nice set up! If only Apple made a smaller version of the Apple TV like a fire stick. I actually have been using a fire stick or a external thumb drive. I think I like the external thumb drive option best
What was wrong with Firestick?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #8
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
Quote:
What was wrong with Firestick?
I'm more of an apple guy. Fire sticks are on the slower end imo
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #9
Dickbanks
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li(G12)

Quote:
Does the fire stick work? I am looking for some video options and the Apple TV seems like a cumbersome installation for the occasional user.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 12:11 PM   #10
skindoc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickbanks View Post
Quote:
Does the fire stick work? I am looking for some video options and the Apple TV seems like a cumbersome installation for the occasional user.
Yeah it works. Need to have Wi-Fi hotspot
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 03:34 PM   #11
MTornberg
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G11 LCI 740 d M-Sport xD

I went with the new Chromeast that has a remote included. Works a threat and runs on USB-C power! 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 12:32 PM   #12
Jrmilderbr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTornberg View Post
I went with the new Chromeast that has a remote included. Works a threat and runs on USB-C power! 👍🏼
What is the Chromecast connecting to?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #13
MTornberg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmilderbr View Post
If you mean internet connection, I share personal hotspot from my IPhone.
Works a treat!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 07:31 AM   #14
MTornberg
Private
Rep

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a regular Tab4 and install the touch command app/functions? I hate that the factory one (on the LCI) won’t let you do anything else than touch command functions.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 12:19 PM   #15
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTornberg View Post
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a regular Tab4 and install the touch command app/functions? I hate that the factory one (on the LCI) won’t let you do anything else than touch command functions.
TCSU (Touch Command Service Updater) does include full software packs, but I don't know if Samsung ships those tablets with custom bootloader or not. If they do, then regular Galaxy Tab might not identify itself to TCSU as compatible device and wont let you advance with BMW software installation. I guess only way is to try it out or perhaps there is information regarding it out there already.

I'll attach technical documentation for TCSU.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf TCSU update.pdf (581.7 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by Raimo5; 08-10-2023 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
TheNine90575.00
      09-28-2023, 12:55 PM   #16
Beau2424
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW Alpina B7 x-drive G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmilderbr View Post
Would love to know more about this.. just picked up my 2018 Alpina B7, and the grand kids are already asking if they can watch Netflix and such. What exactly did you buy and how do you install it? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0