BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-20-2022, 09:07 PM   #1
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

Aftermarket Warranty

So, I have a bunch of codes that recently popped up and I have an aftermarket warranty with CarMax.Would it be ideal to take it to a dealership or an independent shop? I am stage 2+, should I remove the tune before hand if I did go thru the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:08 AM   #2
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

If you don't have any strange boxes connected to the engine to get power, you don't have to do anything. There is a small problem with the sport display because there it will be seen that the power/torque is raised. I bet that you have extended the speed on the display too, so it will also be a bit suspicious.

So decide for yourself if you want to risk losing your warranty and money.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Don't listen to this guy..

The first thing they do at the dealer is plug your car into a Esys computer that reads every single aspect of your engine and chassis. BMW has cracked down on tuned cars the last few years and will happily void your warranty if they detect a tune. Go check out the M8/M5 forums if you don't believe me.
      01-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post

The first thing they do at the dealer is plug your car into a Esys computer that reads every single aspect of your engine and chassis. BMW has cracked down on tuned cars the last few years and will happily void your warranty if they detect a tune. Go check out the M8/M5 forums if you don't believe me.
- he doesn't drive M, so it's not a car of this type of risk and suspicionall.

Correct if the car is scanned, everything will come out of course, especially if there is a suspicion that the cause of the failure may be tuning.

But even a return to the specification before tuning such traces remain and it cannot be removed without leaving any traces, so that's why I said that if there aren't any tunnig boxes it should be ok. - It all depends on how inquisitive person you get ...

If they insist on looking for traces of tuning, they will find it without any problem.

For this reason my speech was in the direction of only things that can be seen very easily.
  • sport display because there it will be seen that the power/torque is raised
  • xtended the speed on the instrument display
  • tuning box

If the approach is towards tuning detection, then removing or leaving the engine map will not help and it will be detected.

For this tunig box does not give such performance as a perfectly refined engine map, but after removing the box there is no trace left in the car and ecu, the car's ecu is cheated by the box... I personally know a few cars (BMW) that were returned to the service, but no investigation was carried out, so everything was fine. The engine turning map is not made so that the car at idle speed works differently, it only allows you to achieve better performance in specific conditions, i.e. higher speed and load. So if the car is not suspected then there will be no investigation, at least that's the way it is in Ireland.

Last edited by LuckyW; 01-21-2022 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:28 AM   #5
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I would suggest that it depends on what the codes are (there is sooooooo much stuff to go wrong on these cars that have nothing to do with the engine) and who wrote the warranty.

For example, BMW dealerships have to file a claim with BMW for warranty repairs, and BMW knows an awful lot about what goes on with their cars. For Carmax, not so much.

So, my advice is to first read the codes yourself and determine where the problem lies.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:27 AM   #6
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyW View Post
If you don't have any strange boxes connected to the engine to get power, you don't have to do anything. There is a small problem with the sport display because there it will be seen that the power/torque is raised. I bet that you have extended the speed on the display too, so it will also be a bit suspicious.

So decide for yourself if you want to risk losing your warranty and money.
Yes, it’s definitely raised and I did do the alpina b7 display but wouldn't that not matter if it’s not related to what I need done?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:29 AM   #7
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pinã View Post

Won’t they void your warranty IF it’s related to what I am bringing it for!? Let’s say misuse of the turbo etc and it’s related to that specifically?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 02:31 AM   #8
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I would suggest that it depends on what the codes are (there is sooooooo much stuff to go wrong on these cars that have nothing to do with the engine) and who wrote the warranty.

For example, BMW dealerships have to file a claim with BMW for warranty repairs, and BMW knows an awful lot about what goes on with their cars. For Carmax, not so much.

So, my advice is to first read the codes yourself and determine where the problem lies.
A whole lot that goes on with these cars but for what I am bringing it for is for chassis stabilization and my driver assistant is not picking up anything. Also, my steering wheel feels like I’m doing a work out just to turn the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 05:14 AM   #9
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTCoupe View Post
Yes, it’s definitely raised and I did do the alpina b7 display but wouldn't that not matter if it’s not related to what I need done?
No one should have any problems with this, but if he sees that there is more on the sport display, it means that the ecu driver is touched and this is already the problem (basis for a deeper search.)

If the problem is not crooked pistons or blown engine gaskets and connected items that are rather due to tuning reasons, it should not be a problem. (your problems are not covered by post tuning issues so no risk)

Unless there is a guy working on the site who you overtook on the road 300kmph and remembered your car and now he wants to show you who is the boss (joke)

Last edited by LuckyW; 01-22-2022 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0