BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-18-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

My M760i

Figured I would share some photos of my recently-purchased 2018 M760i. Absolutely loving the car so far. Waited a long time to find one in this color combination, and ~every option. This one's just missing the fridge and night vision. Wish it had the NV, but perhaps that can be retrofitted. Otherwise, the car ticks absolutely every box. Have already put about 6-700 miles on it, every one enjoyable.

Plans from here are to get it fully detailed inside and out, have every surface covered or protected in some way, and probably to hit the reset button on some maintenance items (fluids, filters, wiper blades) and then replace the missing display key, rear headphones and a missing cigarette lighter in the rear. Massive OCD, after all.

It even came with a double feature John Candy DVD in the rear disc drive - if that isn't a sign, I don't know what is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
gnx751.50
br438582.50
Esteves33.00
jphcbpa299.50
      05-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #2
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Gorgeous car congrats! I feel the OCD as well, had to get all my wheels refinished after I bought it to make sure there wasn't any sign of the previous owner's curb rash. It the toys that make these cars and you sure got a lot of 'em.
      05-18-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you. It's almost a shame I will never ride in the back, it's truly incredible to just sit and relax in one of the rear seats.

Luckily the wheels and paint are ~perfect, but the car does need the interior trim polished, the windshield polished, the black plastic exterior trim polished, and the door sills are a bit worn...might have to replace those too...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 10:26 PM   #4
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
Thank you. It's almost a shame I will never ride in the back, it's truly incredible to just sit and relax in one of the rear seats.

Luckily the wheels and paint are ~perfect, but the car does need the interior trim polished, the windshield polished, the black plastic exterior trim polished, and the door sills are a bit worn...might have to replace those too...
Night vision is cool and works better than I expected it to, but honestly it will rarely be used.

You have the merino leather, don't use regular stuff on it. that's a special material so read up on it. It's not harder to take care of, just different. I went out and purchased all new products for mine, glad I did because it took very well to the proper products.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-19-2022, 12:33 AM   #5
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I’m glad you are enjoying the car. I also had to get the display key and the rear headphones. Didn’t acquire the remote, but had to repair the tablet.

It’s a great cruiser. I’m about 1000 miles from home on holiday in Europe and the car just eats the miles up.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-19-2022, 01:42 PM   #6
Outlaw10-5
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
2018 BMW   [0.00]
The Matte Exterior is EPIC! Love the Shade of the Interior as well!

Looks amazing. Congrats!
Derived16.00
      05-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #7
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Congrats! That is a beautiful spec! I have the 750i and every feature pretty much… I'll say NV is not a miss… the RSE also is not that great either (for my daughter).
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-19-2022, 10:54 PM   #8
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Big Congrats! The car is the best! I miss it every day, you will love it!!
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-19-2022, 11:45 PM   #9
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

Congrats!

Off topic, what equipment did you use to take those photos?
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Gorgeous, congrats!

I'm going to submit a request to the forum moderators to create a new sub-forum (not under a specific model) for those of us suffering from OCD. I keep telling my wife to embrace it, but she prefers clutter and disarray.

Digress: I was helping my youngest work on his car in my driveway (he's 25 and ever since he's been on his own, he generally takes it to a shop for service) and I told him to go fetch the 3/8" ratchet from the toolbox.

"Where is it?" he asks.

"Look in the drawer that's labeled 3/8" ratchet," I replied, adding "See? OCD can pay off."

It's not a disease, it's a lifestyle. LOL
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-20-2022, 07:09 PM   #11
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for all the kind comments everyone. Greatly appreciate it. An excellent community we have here.

To the person who asked what I used to take the photos - this may disappoint you - but I simply used my iPhone 13 Pro Max - it's quite good I must say. Although I still think my old 5D Mk 2 that I use to pretend I know anything about photography sometimes might take better photos. Just can't beat a larger sensor, as good as phones are now. The pixels won't be there but there is something about the DSLR photos that immediately makes a difference - even on a very old camera like that.

But I digress. The reason I wanted NV is because I am actually from a fairly suburban area in WI, and I have family that lives there still, and I have had many close run-ins with deer over the years. Would be nice to have an edge on them for once when visiting. But for now in the city it's not necessary in the least.

It's a real shame the display key is one-and-done...can't reprogram a used one apparently. And so you're stuck paying the $1k or whatever it is from the dealer for something that's basically a smartphone from 2008, a bit insulting. But I am OCD about the car having everything it came with. And the remote parking is probably worth it even if it's only a gimmick to try once in a while.

I actually have an E60 M5 with a full merino leather interior, and unfortunately it was fairly worn when I bought it and has only become more so since. At some point I plan on having it fully worked over on the inside, so I have done little to care for the leather other than keep it clean. The M760 will certainly get better treatment. Am talking to a detail shop right now to see what they recommend. I am using this as an excuse to hit the reset button on all the car care products I have, due to the matte paint I will probably end up with a bunch of Dr. Beasley's products for the exterior at least. Luckily it's in excellent shape so as long as I can keep it clean we should be in good shape.

Also wondering if anyone has real opinions on the soap to use for basic washes between details 1-3x a year. Some say you absolutely cannot use regular car wash soap because it will shine up the matte paint too much. I find that hard to believe, especially if it's a very quick wash. The car is filthy at the moment and the shops I trust the most to give it a full workover are booked for weeks. I still have some regular car wash soap sitting around I could use to give it a quick cleaning, and I think I may do that. I assume any wax or additive could be removed after the fact, but etching from water spots is a bit more permanent.

Still getting used to the power of the car, seems the natural cruising speed is somewhere north of 120 mph, and it pulls hard even at that speed with just part throttle. It's going to be very difficult to stay out of trouble. Also genuinely shocked at how well it handles, you can feel the weight but the poise and the grip is simply unbelievable for a car that weighs over 5100 pounds. Can't really think of anything I'd rather have right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #12
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Dr Beasley’s and Chemical Guys do specific matte wash.

You are right about the Display Key needing to be new. I’ve brought mine along on holiday as I just might need it, a bit of insurance.

I got the bad weather mats too. The boot liner one lives in the car and looks great.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-21-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavus View Post
Dr Beasley’s and Chemical Guys do specific matte wash.

You are right about the Display Key needing to be new. I’ve brought mine along on holiday as I just might need it, a bit of insurance.

I got the bad weather mats too. The boot liner one lives in the car and looks great.
I'm using chemical Guys products for my Merino leather, I like the results and it's not too terribly expensive. I've heard good things about their matte soap from another car forum where they get good results on their matte paints.

I got weathertech floor mats and trunk liner, more expensive than most options, but I' very happy with their fit and style. My kids are active in sports (dirt, mud, and grass) so I need more than just a flat mat.

I have a working display key, only used it for fun when I got it, haven't used it since.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-22-2022, 07:28 PM   #14
E92TTCoupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: x335i/x550i/x640i/x540i/c750i

Lol not at all. I mean, I kind of figured that but just wanted to make sure. Came out really good! Enjoy, she is beautiful.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      05-24-2022, 09:29 PM   #15
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TTCoupe View Post
Lol not at all. I mean, I kind of figured that but just wanted to make sure. Came out really good! Enjoy, she is beautiful.
Thanks so much, greatly appreciate it.

To everyone else, thanks for the input on what products to use. I actually used a fairly cheap car wash soap the other night to simply get it clean and it came out quite well, so I'm a bit less worried about that now. Cannot believe how much brake dust this thing produces however. Considering getting at least the front wrapped, would be a real shame for an errant rock to ruin the perfect paint.

My car came with the all-weather matts in addition to the carpets, and they are quite nice. Not quite Weathertech but they do the job. I have Weathertech matts in the M5 and the carpet in that car still looks new after all these years. Of course, in a car like this, I don't really want to drive around with plastic floors all the time. The eternal struggle...

Also interested to see if anyone has experience with the Ammo products, he seems to put some real thought and effort into everything he sells.

Also...wondering how many of you are running runflats vs. not. My car came with the Goodyears, and I imagine that the ride, handling, noise and grip would be improved with non-RF tires. They have plenty of tread so not replacing any time soon but wondering if anyone has made the switch.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 09:52 PM   #16
TrafficJam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2017 BMW M760I

Garage List
2017 BMW M760i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks so much, greatly appreciate it.

To everyone else, thanks for the input on what products to use. I actually used a fairly cheap car wash soap the other night to simply get it clean and it came out quite well, so I'm a bit less worried about that now. Cannot believe how much brake dust this thing produces however. Considering getting at least the front wrapped, would be a real shame for an errant rock to ruin the perfect paint.

My car came with the all-weather matts in addition to the carpets, and they are quite nice. Not quite Weathertech but they do the job. I have Weathertech matts in the M5 and the carpet in that car still looks new after all these years. Of course, in a car like this, I don't really want to drive around with plastic floors all the time. The eternal struggle...

Also interested to see if anyone has experience with the Ammo products, he seems to put some real thought and effort into everything he sells.

Also...wondering how many of you are running runflats vs. not. My car came with the Goodyears, and I imagine that the ride, handling, noise and grip would be improved with non-RF tires. They have plenty of tread so not replacing any time soon but wondering if anyone has made the switch.

My M760I also come with GoodYear (Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Run-Flat) and I suggest you to replace four of them asap. Those run-flat has extremely hard sidewalls that destroy the ride comfort (can cause earthquake-like experience when hitting a pole hole) as well as brake performance (longer braking distance, sliding forward at hard brakes). Also, those GoodYear run-flat are easy to break, and cost a lot to replace (500+ dollars per tire). My left front tire break right after I received the car (due to pole hole). Since mine also have a whole lot of tread life remain, I decide to replace a single tire instead of changing all of them. After 8 months, I regret my decision. Because both the front tires got bulges on the sidewall and I end up replacing each of them again. Cost me almost 1500 dollars on three tires...

As a result, I strongly suggest you to replace all of them together at early stage (keep the run-flat as spare tires, or put them on while you are selling to next owner). Spend 1600 dollars on 2 pair of Michelins non-RFT and you will have a car that performs well, and ride like a dream.

If you want to keep the run-flat on the car, just make sure it has high pressure (46 psi) so it won't break easily, you can refer to this post: https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/r...ailure.907062/

Anyway, congrats on the new car!

Pics of my M760I:
Attached Images

Last edited by TrafficJam; 07-07-2022 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      07-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #17
TrafficJam
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2017 BMW M760I

Garage List
2017 BMW M760i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you for all the kind comments everyone. Greatly appreciate it. An excellent community we have here.

To the person who asked what I used to take the photos - this may disappoint you - but I simply used my iPhone 13 Pro Max - it's quite good I must say. Although I still think my old 5D Mk 2 that I use to pretend I know anything about photography sometimes might take better photos. Just can't beat a larger sensor, as good as phones are now. The pixels won't be there but there is something about the DSLR photos that immediately makes a difference - even on a very old camera like that.

But I digress. The reason I wanted NV is because I am actually from a fairly suburban area in WI, and I have family that lives there still, and I have had many close run-ins with deer over the years. Would be nice to have an edge on them for once when visiting. But for now in the city it's not necessary in the least.

It's a real shame the display key is one-and-done...can't reprogram a used one apparently. And so you're stuck paying the $1k or whatever it is from the dealer for something that's basically a smartphone from 2008, a bit insulting. But I am OCD about the car having everything it came with. And the remote parking is probably worth it even if it's only a gimmick to try once in a while.

I actually have an E60 M5 with a full merino leather interior, and unfortunately it was fairly worn when I bought it and has only become more so since. At some point I plan on having it fully worked over on the inside, so I have done little to care for the leather other than keep it clean. The M760 will certainly get better treatment. Am talking to a detail shop right now to see what they recommend. I am using this as an excuse to hit the reset button on all the car care products I have, due to the matte paint I will probably end up with a bunch of Dr. Beasley's products for the exterior at least. Luckily it's in excellent shape so as long as I can keep it clean we should be in good shape.

Also wondering if anyone has real opinions on the soap to use for basic washes between details 1-3x a year. Some say you absolutely cannot use regular car wash soap because it will shine up the matte paint too much. I find that hard to believe, especially if it's a very quick wash. The car is filthy at the moment and the shops I trust the most to give it a full workover are booked for weeks. I still have some regular car wash soap sitting around I could use to give it a quick cleaning, and I think I may do that. I assume any wax or additive could be removed after the fact, but etching from water spots is a bit more permanent.

Still getting used to the power of the car, seems the natural cruising speed is somewhere north of 120 mph, and it pulls hard even at that speed with just part throttle. It's going to be very difficult to stay out of trouble. Also genuinely shocked at how well it handles, you can feel the weight but the poise and the grip is simply unbelievable for a car that weighs over 5100 pounds. Can't really think of anything I'd rather have right now.

Initially, the handling of this car doesn’t impress me at all. It is definitely easy to drive on the street with 4 wheel steering and so on. But it always feels big and soft. Also the body control on this car doesn’t impress me, it has plenty of body roll. But the steering is very precise, as precise as a M340 if not more (thanks to the 4 wheel steering).

After I bring this thing to track cross/autocross (3 times total), I was impressed by how this thing handles. It flies around the course with minimum understeer. It eats the corner just like the much smaller M340. The weight distribution is so good that I couldn’t feel the heavy v12 in the front. Although the car is still soft, it didn’t affect driver’s confidence. Everything just works like magic and I got good results as well (beating a charger hellcat in our group and was on bar with my best results, which is achieved by driving a much small performance car - Cadillac ATS-V). If I replaced the run-flat with PS4S, I believe the 7 can be even faster.

Overall I feel like BMW and Porsche takes different approaches to build big performance sedan. The Panamera drives like a performance car at any moment. In contrast, the M760/7 series drives more like a luxury car/boat/s-class. But when you push it, the 7 can definitely surprise you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      07-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #18
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
And the remote parking is probably worth it even if it's only a gimmick to try once in a while.
The last two times I tried to use it, the fob could not communicate with the car. It can still get updates like mileage, if the car is locked, etc. but lately it's not been able to do remote functions. I don't know if it's because my BMW Connect (or whatever they call it) subscription has expired (like you OP, my car is a 2018 and the warranty has expired) or just because BMW.

As for tires, since my car is an Alpina it came with proper Michelin PS4 tires, which are incredible. They are high performance summer tires, and so don't do great when it's cold and probably suck in the snow. I plan to replace them when the time is right, with Michelin A/S 4+. They are awesome, a bit quieter and do wonderfully in bad and cold weather.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      07-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #19
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I put PS4S tyres on mine on a trip to Germany. I presume that’s what they use on the Alpina. Was the only tyre I could get rated to a high enough top speed. Probably the same reason Alpina use it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 12:41 AM   #20
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

A few updates -

Car has continued to impress for sure...as mentioned above, the handling is insanely good for something that weighs close to 5200 pounds. Even though it's aloof, the steering is 100% BMW...I can't explain it but you know what I mean. Despite being soft, the body control is incredible. And it is actually a bit unsettling how hard this car can corner, if only because the car is so isolated that it can be difficult to tell where the limit is. It's not a 10/10ths car, to be sure, but at 7, 8/10...it's incredible for what it is.

I drove a Panamera Turbo prior to purchasing this car, and while there is no denying that car is the pinnacle of large sedan chassis development, the M760 stacks up favorably. And nothing beats the V12.

Re: the tires - Despite the fact that I hated the runflats, they had plenty of tread left and I intended to use them at least through the end of the year. Unfortunately, the city of Chicago had other plans. The potholes have gotten particularly bad, and one night a couple weeks ago I noticed that a bubble in the front driver's side sidewall. Only then did I go and look at the reviews for these things and find out that almost every single person who has had these tires has had them self-destruct after very few miles. So, decided to bite the bullet and put on a full set of ExtremeContact DWS 06s...seemed to be essentially a tossup between those and the Pilot Sport 4. Couldn't get the Michelins in time for the trip I took last weekend, so the Contis it was. So far they have been great. Massively improved ride, better braking to be sure, much quieter, and more confident handling. The Goodyears felt like they were made out of hard plastic in comparison. Looking forward to seeing how these handle all season use. So far I love these.

Finally, some bad news - the one thing I feared most has happened. Managed to put a small scuff in the front bumper just a couple nights ago. Was pulling into my building's car wash bay to wash the bugs and pollen off from the weekend trip, and my wet, worn out flip flops slipped slightly on the brake pedal and I stopped about a fraction of a second too late and touched a metal pole guarding the entrance as I came to a stop. Absolutely devastated. Obviously, a repaint will be necessary to fix this...guts me to think the car will no longer be wearing its original BMW Individual paint on every panel. I'm also nervous about the color matching...hoping I can find a shop in the greater Chicago area that I can trust to do the work. Amazing how it only takes a fraction of a second to make a massive mistake....

If anyone has Chicagoland body shop recommendations, I will gladly take them.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 01:10 AM   #21
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry to hear about the damage. I have the PCD emergency intervention on and it seems to stop without any contact occurring.

I don’t find the body control good. The whole car rolls as you go into bends and corners. I’d hoped the active suspension and roll bars would control that more. It still gets round, but that’s road holding, not handling to me.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      07-27-2022, 07:08 PM   #22
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I have the emergency intervention turned off, as I have had it already stop me a couple times when it didn't need to, but maybe I should turn it back on....

I suppose when I think of the body control, I mostly mean that despite the fact that it moves around and certainly isn't buckled down like an M3 or an M5...the movements are still predictable and easy to read. At least in sport mode, once it takes a set, it seems you can trust where it's going to go. And, of course, for a 5200 pound car as long as a bus, it seems acceptable to me. Having driven the AMG equivalent, seems the BMW definitely has the better spring/damper tuning at least for brisk driving.
Appreciate 0