BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #45
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

this made me remember Rolls-Royce before it was acquired by BMW
they made a new model and were talking great lengths about flowing exterior "yacht" lines and so on and on and on,...the exterior pics were made in the same way as the one of this concept (the light on the polished surface as an eye catcher); when you saw the car in real life, with dust and gray weather it looked as a relict.
The whole car was screeching, the autoradio was taken from a cheap Fiat (italian low cost cars),...

I've driven the actual BMW 7er, and I must say few things about the weight. You probably all have in mind Italian scenic road with twists and bends?
Okay, so when I drive this very long sailing boat named 7er on the motorway, it's nice and comfortable-the weight is not that important here.
On the twisted roads outside the cities it's the bus size that goes on the nerves; yes the weight matters here, but making a bus lighter does not solve the primary problem. So I leave this company car on the parking lot and take my compact with a powerful engine or a sports-bike

I'm not going into the discussion about driving such a bus through the traffic in the italian cities or to comment German parking lots (included parking houses) are too narrow for such cars

Conclusion:
The notion of the 9er class is ridiculous. Even for developing countries; the ones who have money there, are going to buy a brand that does not make everyday cars. When you say I bought a Porsche it sound different from:
"I've bought a BMW"
"The 1 series? I saw the discounts! Good buy!"
"The 9 series!! You know, the luxurious version! The Only BMW that does not have that common man looking interior!"
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #46
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

I agree with the above comments. The overall look of the interior is set, expecially the screen. All other new models have it, why would the 7 follow a different approach ? Indeed, it will look nicer when its all finished, upholstered with better materials and so on, but the design is finished, we have seen this scenario come true many times before.

I had my mind set on this new model, but I was hoping for an interior different from the rest of the line up, too bad ... For I while I even considered buying a facelift F01, but I ditched that plan also. I will keep on driving my lovely F01 PFL until I made up my mind...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:36 AM   #47
Pure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i EB , RR Ghost Black D

I do not see big differences with the current model.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #48
needabeemer
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_ACS View Post
I agree with the above comments. The overall look of the interior is set, expecially the screen. All other new models have it, why would the 7 follow a different approach ? Indeed, it will look nicer when its all finished, upholstered with better materials and so on, but the design is finished, we have seen this scenario come true many times before.

I had my mind set on this new model, but I was hoping for an interior different from the rest of the line up, too bad ... For I while I even considered buying a facelift F01, but I ditched that plan also. I will keep on driving my lovely F01 PFL until I made up my mind...
i am glad im not the only one who notices the BMW pattern.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:32 AM   #49
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Please read what Scott posted and search for what BMW unveiled at Beijing.
I know about that and I'm pretty sure it won't compete with S400, S500, S63 etc. If anything it might compete with the S65 and similarly priced Bentleys just under the Rolls Royce Ghost. But no, if the 9er starts competing with the regular S class, the 7 series becomes obsolete and I don't think BMW would want that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #50
bimmerdreng
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i e46

My guess this could be close to the new 7 series interior.

http://www.selectism.com/files/2014/...14-630x417.jpg

Look at the air vents in the spyshot, no way it´s gonna look like that, BMW know that Audi A8 og Mercedes S are the one to go against.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #51
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdreng View Post
My guess this could be close to the new 7 series interior.

http://www.selectism.com/files/2014/...14-630x417.jpg

Look at the air vents in the spyshot, no way it´s gonna look like that, BMW know that Audi A8 og Mercedes S are the one to go against.
Sorry, but I think you're dreaming. I wish you were right, but there's a new, full design in the spy shots. I'm sure it'll be detailed beautifully in its final form, but the design is obviously set. And it breaks no new ground. And that's a problem imo.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #52
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by needabeemer View Post
lol the new C-class has a better interior than this and its 1/3rd the price. whata joke. dont even get me started on the S-class. what happened to bmw? all their cars look like they were designed before 2009, even their latest ones.

oh and scott has been defending these type of pictures for a while now, but i promise you the "finished" result wont look much different at all. i remember when the 4 series was supposed to be "85% identical to the concept 4er" and, well, yea...
I defend them because there is no need to criticise at this point because you do not know the outcome and are making judgement on vehicles that are testing , where their focus is purely on other things rather than detail and fit and finish.
The more comments , its ugly , its cheap when a car is in this stage of development only proves how stupid people are.

The 4er was around 95% the concept , bar some concept car detailing it is exactly what is on the road today.
I remember when my x3 first int spy pics came and I pointed out that the plastics around the idrive screen were cheap etc. You had the same reply. Funny, unless I was delivered a test vehicle......
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #53
MPower10s
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i

Garage List
The new S-class is just in a different world now. Look at how bland the seats look.. and the center dash area looks like its out of a 3-series on steroids
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #54
Hans_ACS
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 740d

What's the current planning for this new 7 ? When it will proposed ? Beginning of 2015 ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #55
hekki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bentayga, GT3 RS

I also need to admit that S-class is in different league compared to 7 series, A8 or LS.
High quality and superior materials have made s-class an ultimate machine. It is so huge improve over the previous model that i do not think the 7-series will take so big jump.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #56
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Maybe it is my age (31), but I don't like the new interior design of S Class! Also the steering wheel
Driving dynamics: no weight improvements.
Engines: only from S63 and S65 are impressive.
I've seen them everywhere, looks good from outside, but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:44 AM   #57
needabeemer
Banned
Rep
Drives: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
I remember when my x3 first int spy pics came and I pointed out that the plastics around the idrive screen were cheap etc. You had the same reply. Funny, unless I was delivered a test vehicle......
scott has a history of replies like that. that is why im 100% certain this is the finished layout of the 7 series interior. the only things that will change are the air vent materials and other minor things.

besides the terribly bland seats and boring center console, i also feel this wont have nearly as many features as the new S class. no 5 color ambient lighting, no fragrance sprayer, etc.

im not kidding when i say the new c class is far superior to this 7 series. who wouldve ever thought that?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #58
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
you are 100% spot on which is why i said that the 2015 C class has a far better interior than this car which is 3x the price... it doesn't come close to the S-class or even a 2015 C-class. bmw current generation of cars were very lack luster and it looks like the next gen will be too.
I completely agree; it looks like BMW decided to compete with VW (EU models)

I was looking at the 4er Gran Coupe; nice exterior, practical,..but when I seated myself inside "Hello VW".
BMW, you can keep that car to yourself
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #59
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Actually this car is significant because it rolls forward the revolution of the BMWi philosophy and apply lightweight construction methods extensively than any other luxury car at a competitive price because BMW manufacture their own CFRP. Other manufacturers are years behind this philosophy.
Carbon will not only be used within the load bearing area , chassis , drivetrain ,suspension and front structure but also on the exterior.

BMW will be shouting about the weight reduction of the 7er it is that significant.
The 5er is next. The 7er also shows that they are positioning themselves for a feasible future 9er.
Weight savings is a good thing for a car this size. However, with all the newer safety tech and more luxury features added, the weight loss may be limited. If it can shed 500-700 lbs, that would be great.

That being said, people who buy a car like this don't care as much for weight savings as they do for tech, design and opulence. If this car is going to look more or less similar to the current 7 series from the outside, with simple changes to the headlights, tail lights, grille, and the interior is going to follow the same philosophy as the 3/4 or the X5/X6, then it doesn't bode too well for the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #60
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
That being said, people who buy a car like this don't care as much for weight savings as they do for [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]design and opulence [/COLOR]
If this car is going to look more or less similar to the current 7 series from the outside and the [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]interior is going to follow the same philosophy[/COLOR] as the 3/4 or the X5/X6, then it doesn't bode too well for the car.
agree 100%

I cannot see someone "enjoying" that interior in the year 2024, when it's terribly non luxurious and passe as of today.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #61
cavargas
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540i

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Quote:
you are 100% spot on which is why i said that the 2015 C class has a far better interior than this car which is 3x the price. you are also 100% right that not much will change. when people from bmw say "this is a pre-production model" and that the finished product will be much different, what they mean is that the materials used will be different. the arm rest might have higher quality leather, the air vents might be aluminum, etc. but the general overall layout of the car will remain exactly the same. ive been a lurker on these boards for a few years now and ive seen the same lies said about cars ranging back to the 6 series. trust me, this is 90% of what the finished product will look like, and it doesnt come close to the S-class or even a 2015 C-class. if my post gets deleted or something then you will know that im right. bmw needs to really step it up because their current generation of cars were very lack luster and it looks like the next gen will be too.
+1 Design wise, this it, only materials, fit and finish improvements will change for the production model. Another example of BMW playing it too safe and using the best of the cost cutting, engineering and production friendly techniques that will do wonders on their balance sheets and make the board pretty happy but customers will eventually notice those in the long run specially when the competition are upping their game in the design field.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #62
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

http://www.7post.com/goodiesforyou/7...84358523-O.jpg

Why is there a Sway Bar in the Back Seat?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #63
ChrisMT79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3- Alpine White

I apologize I did not read all the comments/responses, but lol @ the "look at those taillights" comment. It is always comical the crowd these threads draw when they make it to the front news page. Please don't tell me someone replied with a displeasure of the "cloth" dash trim as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:03 AM   #64
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
This is not the full interior. This is a mis-match of existing BMW interior parts standing in for final detail and finish. We still have under a year to go.
That's good to hear.. The interior looks a bit too similar every other BMW in the range, which is not a terrible thing IMO but also not a reason to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 05:16 PM   #65
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

I can't wait to get my hands on the new 7.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #66
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavargas View Post
+1 Design wise, this it, only materials, fit and finish improvements will change for the production model. Another example of BMW playing it too safe and using the best of the cost cutting, engineering and production friendly techniques that will do wonders on their balance sheets and make the board pretty happy but customers will eventually notice those in the long run specially when the competition are upping their game in the design field.
There is no cost-cutting here , in early prototypes fit and finish do not matter especially when the focus is on chassis or drivetrain development.
They may use the actual design but they are rapid produced parts which means quality is not an issue but to see if everything fits together and works. Later development models will indicate production specifications.

All Prototypes are hand built on a dedicated off-site production line in Munich.
Personally despite its quality the S-Klasse interior is too cluttered and looks like a 1980s home cinema the way the screens are stacked together.

The new BMW interior philosophy as introduced on the X5 and BMWi cars is to apply surfaces to accommodate next generation connected drive passenger display and extra minimalism to give the impression of a modern lounge. But keep that driver focused essence of a BMW. It also reduces many functions so that the driver can concentrate on the road.
It also allows extra space and more light into the cabin.

You have not seen the full picture yet.