BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
inque1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 740i

Purpose of BMW temperature statification

So the temperature statification control is that slider control under the front center vents.

Has anyone figured out what the purpose of the temperature statification button is? I mean, all passengers can already adjust the climate to their desired temperature, so how does the stratification slider help. I am yet to see a good explanation for this control.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 01:08 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Air temp stratification has been a BMW staple for decades. Prior to the current 4 zone digital set-ups…this temp stratification feature allowed for the driver or passengers to make adjustments for themselves without having to change the setting for the entire car.

For example, if you are a rear passenger and the sun is shining directly on you on either your side of the car or from the rear….you could adjust the stratification dial on the rear vent to blow cooler air on your side of the car or the entire rear seat.,.whereas the front passengers or person on the other side of the car wasn’t being affected by direct sunlight.

Another example could when on a long journey and all the passengers are sleep and cozy…but the driver could use a blast of cooler air on their face to keep themselves alert.

Another example…if you live in a part of the world that has more than one season…there can be unusual climate conditions that may require minor adjustments that the stratification feature is perfect for. I remember a few times in the fall and spring when the daytime temps can reach into the upper 70s or 80s and AC was required…but as the sun set, the temps drop into the low 60s…but it is still humid and you need the AC on to dehumidify the air…but the drop in temps makes that air feel chilly. You can simply move the stratification dial slightly into the red to warm the air coming from the dash vents…yet the system will still keep the cabin at 72° F as well as keep the windows from fogging over…but the air temp from the dash vents is slightly warmed.

Just some examples as to how the stratification feature can be useful without having to reset the entire IHKA control panel and fan speed etc.

This illustration below is from the e38/e39 era which shows how the front dash and rear console vents can be tempered warmer or cooler without having to change the settings on the AC/heat (IHKA) control panel.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 03:20 AM   #3
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Yeah it's been a BMW thing for years I really like it as a feature, allows you to vary the temp of the air whilst not having to change the climate control overall temp which I always have at 21c.

I would prefer that they were wheels like the F series though rather than the touch screen sliders in the G for ease of use on the go.
      12-23-2021, 04:04 AM   #4
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I’m another owner that likes and uses it. Would also prefer a non-touch control like a wheel or actual slider.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
RMDrive
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 730Ld MSport

It's genuinely one of my favourite things about a BMW. For me I always like to have colder air blowing in my face, irrespective of whether it's baltic or warm outside. When I gor my 7er after my E-Class, I was so happy to have this feature back!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

My wife loves it and it keeps her from complaining (as much). So it’s a winner feature in my mind, whether it does much or not. 😎
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Given the usefulness of this feature, it's counter-intuitive that BMW buries this feature deep inside iDrive on all the other models.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
inque1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 740i

Wow, I am surprised that so many people like this feature. I find it easier to adjust individual temperatures to the desires unit rather than using the slider stratification. It is also very easy to accidentally hit the slider when you are trying to do something else.

I guess as long as people like it, BMW will continue including this. I have yet to see any other luxury brand with this function.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I'd say it a bit of a BMW signature in terms of the HVAC controls, I was so disappointed when I got an X3MC and the feature had been hidden in the touch screen in a sub menu as I'd had them on all my BMWs for over 20 years
      12-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inque1 View Post
Wow, I am surprised that so many people like this feature. I find it easier to adjust individual temperatures to the desires unit rather than using the slider stratification. It is also very easy to accidentally hit the slider when you are trying to do something else.

I guess as long as people like it, BMW will continue including this. I have yet to see any other luxury brand with this function.
Other than the overly sensitive touch control, the feature is useful when one likes to have different temperatures to the face vs feet (eg, warm air to keep the feet toasty, but cooler air for the face so one doesn't get dry eyes or sleepiness), not the same as using the temperature adjustment for each seat position.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

...and again, the air stratification feature does NOT change the temp inside the cabin...it only tempers the air from the dash vents warmer/cooler...but what ever temp you have set on the IHKA control panel...it will still maintain that temp inside the cabin.

When you constantly manipulate the temp set for the cabin...the HVAC system has a harder time trying to make the changes. Then when you have two different temps set for the driver vs the passenger in such a small space....and add constant manipulation of the temp higher/lower/etc...the temp inside the cabin is constantly changine...either too hot or too cold.

I prefer to set a constant temp and let the AUTO feature figure it out. If I get too hot or too cold...I just use the stratified air dial to warm or cool the air from the dash vents to handle my temporary discomfort...but the IHKA control panel is still going to maintain the set temp for the cabin.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0