BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-01-2022, 06:47 AM   #1
mm_uk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo

Hi everyone, my first post here.
I'm in the market for a used 750i, I've decided this is the model I want to get – the largest engine I can get in a 7 series without it being long-wheelbase, which would be a pain to drive around city and park, at least here where I live (UK). I test drove a 2021 car yesterday (740Li) and loved it.

I'll buy a used car. There are plenty of pre-facelift 2017/18 cars on the market which seem fine to me. I quite like the idea of getting a 4 year old car for 35-40% of what it cost new. The alternative would be a 2020 car, which I can also consider.
In terms of differences between pre- and post-facelift models
Will 2018 car come with Apple CarPlay? This is kind of crucial for me. What about Android?
Any other driver convenience or interior bits which might be missing in the 2018 car?
Engine start-stop. I always find it very annoying and turn if off with a single button in my 2018 Macan. The 2021 car I test drove required going through menus on the touchscreen to turn it off. Is that also the case in pre-facelift cars?
xDrive vs RWD. xDrive is only available on the 750i from 2019. I guess it'd be nice to have for wet/slippery roads, and for that little bit extra acceleration. Has anyone driven both RWD and xDrive cars?
Anything else I might be missing?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 12:14 PM   #2
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

It’s a bit quiet on here.

My pre-LCI has Apple CarPlay.

I coded mine to remember the stop start setting.

I have xDrive but have never driven a RWD version. Can’t really help you on spec changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

You really need someone who has had both, and given spec differences between markets, maybe Wills2 will pop along as he is in the UK and has had both pre and post LCI G11, so has lived with both.
      03-03-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
mm_uk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavus View Post
It's a bit quiet on here.

My pre-LCI has Apple CarPlay.

I coded mine to remember the stop start setting.

I have xDrive but have never driven a RWD version. Can't really help you on spec changes.
Thanks both for replies. I love the car but would prefer to stick with pre-facelift to save myself the 50% depreciation in years 2-4..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_uk View Post
Thanks both for replies. I love the car but would prefer to stick with pre-facelift to save myself the 50% depreciation in years 2-4..
I think the post facelift removed the Ambient Air Package, which I liked.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

If you're looking at pre and post LCI 750i then the biggest difference is xdrive and power the LCI has xdrive and 530hp vs sdrive and 450hp (UK models)

LCI loses some stuff though like the 4 comfort seats that were standard on the pre LCI UK cars and also some of the driver aids that were standard like blind spot assist have been dropped from the standard spec and rolled into option packs also the pre LCI has both mirrors as dimming but the LCI just has the drivers (how skinny is that from BMW)

Although a used LCI 750i should be well optioned I guess with laser lights and tech pack, I'd certainly say out of all the variants the 750i is worth getting in LCI form for the power bump alone I had that engine in similar trim in an F10 M5 and it's a beast.

Only two LCI 750i on the AUC website though starting at £68k so not a cheap option compared with the pre LCI cars, I've had both xdrive and sdrive 7 series but not in 750i flavour but my experience with the F10 M5 with sdrive and a similar engine rated at 560hp tells me xdrive is a good idea.
      03-07-2022, 05:32 AM   #7
mm_uk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
If you're looking at pre and post LCI 750i then the biggest difference is xdrive and power the LCI has xdrive and 530hp vs sdrive and 450hp (UK models)

LCI loses some stuff though like the 4 comfort seats that were standard on the pre LCI UK cars and also some of the driver aids that were standard like blind spot assist have been dropped from the standard spec and rolled into option packs also the pre LCI has both mirrors as dimming but the LCI just has the drivers (how skinny is that from BMW)

Although a used LCI 750i should be well optioned I guess with laser lights and tech pack, I'd certainly say out of all the variants the 750i is worth getting in LCI form for the power bump alone I had that engine in similar trim in an F10 M5 and it's a beast.

Only two LCI 750i on the AUC website though starting at £68k so not a cheap option compared with the pre LCI cars, I've had both xdrive and sdrive 7 series but not in 750i flavour but my experience with the F10 M5 with sdrive and a similar engine rated at 560hp tells me xdrive is a good idea.
Thanks for the detailed reply. It's true that not many post-facelift cars are available on the used market now. I will keep looking and will report back once I've found something I like / made the purchase!
Appreciate 1
Wills28618.00