BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
2008 Saab 9-3

I'm sure I'm not the only one out there with a soft spot for Saabs.
My dad's owned a handful over the years, and yeah GM has definitely changed the brand (some for the better, some for the worse); but I still love the looks of their cars. The '08 9-3 refresh is no exception.

I just wish they'd introduce AWD (since I doubt they'll ever switch to RWD), and upgrade the interior materials. The exterior is great, and the seats... the seats are so nice
Attached Images

10-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
spesrf25
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5d X-Line

I do really like the look of the 9-3. I would have considered one if they offered a coupe, and they were a bit quicker.

BMW X5d (Ordered)
2007 335i Coupe (sold)

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

My girl has an '04 Saab 93 vert. It's a nice car, and has a lot of pep for a 210 HP turbocharged engine, but it does lack driving dynamic. She's been bitten by the BMW bug though, so I'm almost positive that the BMW 3-series will be her next car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
god, ive always loved these cars. i was going to get one, but we dont have them in our country. saab, to me, are one of the most underrated car companies out there today.
      10-26-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
before i got the E90 i was also considering the saab. and i guess i did make the right choice
      10-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

I drive a Saab 9-3 as my company car. It has the worst turbo lag of any turbo'd car I've ever driven. I mean if you hit the gas pedal hard, it's litterally a 2-3 second delay before anything happens.

Other then that, I like my Saab just fine. Hell it's free!
      10-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i mt

Loved the late '80s 900 SPG.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

I am a Saab enthusiast. Recently I have a '95 9000 Aero and a '92 9000 Turbo for my wife (and kid). They are comfortable, they are fast, they are strong (my aero close to 300 FWHP, turbo around 220) and they are damn safe. On the other side they are real sleepers on the road, I like that.

After all those years I decided to not go with used cars anymore and buy a new car. Unfortunately (for GM and Saab community) I won't go with saabs anymore. Liked them, loved them... but not going to buy an Opel for a price of a bimmer, whatever coat it wears. Going to test drive a 335i this tuesday, then I'll order it.

PS: What does my avatar remind U, fellow saab fans?

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post

I just wish they'd introduce AWD (since I doubt they'll ever switch to RWD), and upgrade the interior materials. The exterior is great, and the seats... the seats are so nice
They did with the new 9-3. They call it XWD.

Quote:
Saab XWD is a fully automatic, on-demand system capable of sending up to 100% of engine torque to the front or rear wheels whenever necessary. While offering new Saab 9-3 Aero owners sure-footed handling in low-grip conditions, its sophisticated operation also adds a further sporty dimension to the driving experience in all road conditions. Fine balancing of the drive torque between the front and rear axles raises the threshold at which ESP throttle and braking interventions are triggered, providing more scope for closer driver involvement.

The system is governed by its own electronic control unit, which functions in harness with the engine, transmission and ABS/ESP control modules. The hardware consists of a Power Take-off Unit (PTU) in the front final-drive that transmits engine torque through a prop-shaft to the Rear Drive Module (RDM). This incorporates a Torque Transfer Device (TTD) and an optional electronically-controlled Limited Slip Differential (eLSD). Both are wet, multi-plate clutch units from Haldex.

At take-off from rest, the TTD is initially activated when the clutch plates are forced together under hydraulic pressure, thereby engaging the RDM. This pre-emptive function is a valuable improvement in current technology, which requires the detection of wheel slip before the TTD is activated. For the driver, the enhanced functionality gives maximum traction immediately for smooth, strong acceleration from rest without the possibility of any initial hesitation.

On the open road, drive torque is seamlessly and continuously varied between the axles by the control of a valve in the TTD, which increases or reduces the pressure on the wet clutch plates. When cornering, Saab XWD rewards the driver by providing enhanced, more finely balanced chassis dynamics. Data from the vehicle’s ABS/ESP sensors - measuring wheel speed, yaw rate and steering angle – is utilized, and careful programming of Saab XWD enables the application of rear drive to balance oversteer and understeer characteristics, improving stability and roadholding.

In highway cruising conditions, when traction or optimum grip is not an issue, only 5% to 10% of engine torque is typically transmitted to the rear wheels. This helps provide the driver with a measure of greater stability, while helping to save fuel.

The ultimate ‘icing on the cake’ with Saab XWD is the eLSD option. This is the first application of an electronically-controlled, rear limited slip differential in this segment of the market. The eLSD is installed alongside the RDM and operates via pressurized clutch plates on a principle similar to the larger TTD. In icy or wet split-friction conditions, for example, it uses inputs from the rear wheel speed sensors and can transfer up to 40% of torque between the drive shafts, to whichever wheel has more grip.

The eLSD also gives the driver enhanced control when cornering hard or completing a high speed maneuver, such as a lane change, by momentarily applying more or less torque to either of the wheels to help the rear of the car more closely follow the direction of the front wheels. This yaw damping effect can keep the car better balanced and more tightly controlled, without requiring ‘outside’ intervention from electronic stability aides.

Installation of Saab XWD includes the fitment of a new rear sub-frame to carry the RDM, revised rear suspension geometry and new wheel hubs for the drive shafts. The three piece prop-shaft runs through two bearings with constant velocity joints for smooth running with minimal ‘wind-up’. Wheelbase and rear track dimensions are unaltered. Saab XWD will be available from the beginning of next year.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ight=2008+Saab
Appreciate 0