BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-20-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Oil Change

For those that their original 4-year warranty expired, at what mileage are you changing your Oil? Do you wait until the vehicle sends you a notice to change your oil? Or you change it sooner? My last oil change was done while the car was still under the 4-year warranty during the Pandemic. It is currently showing 8k kilometres before the next oil change (not driving the car much during this pandemic). Since I own this car I don't want to wait to the end of the 8k or until the car gives the warning so I can avoid any issues in the future. That being said, I still have the BMW extended warranty for the next two years.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
For those that their original 4-year warranty expired, at what mileage are you changing your Oil? Do you wait until the vehicle sends you a notice to change your oil? Or you change it sooner? My last oil change was done while the car was still under the 4-year warranty during the Pandemic. It is currently showing 8k kilometres before the next oil change (not driving the car much during this pandemic). Since I own this car I don't want to wait to the end of the 8k or until the car gives the warning so I can avoid any issues in the future. That being said, I still have the BMW extended warranty for the next two years.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!
I change every 5k miles no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:02 AM   #3
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

I'm not quite as frequent as Douggefreshvt. I change regardless at 10k miles. Got about 1.5k to go before I need to do it.

I never reset anything in the car. I just leave the computer to say when the oil needs changing by the stealer. I still have until Nov 2022 for the servicing. But, and even though I have friends who work in the oil industry and they swear these longline oils are good, I am of the belief that a little mechanical sympathy goes a long way in keeping your car running tip top.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
I'm not quite as frequent as Douggefreshvt. I change regardless at 10k miles. Got about 1.5k to go before I need to do it.

I never reset anything in the car. I just leave the computer to say when the oil needs changing by the stealer. I still have until Nov 2022 for the servicing. But, and even though I have friends who work in the oil industry and they swear these longline oils are good, I am of the belief that a little mechanical sympathy goes a long way in keeping your car running tip top.
My reasoning is that the BMW V8 has the turbos in the V so they run super hot and the engine itself runs super hot. Therefore the oil under goes more molecular stress in that engine than it would in even a normal turbo V8 where the turbos are not in the valley.

That's why I change more frequently. Also, I had a V6 twin turbo E61 wagon which was prone to trouble with turbos. That trouble was usually brought on by waiting for CBS light to come on. So I'm somewhat scarred by that experience. I prob waste money doing changes too soon. It's all about your personal view and what works best for you.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys for the replies. I feel the same way as Germany cars are known for burning oil as they age. This not my first BMW but first turbo engine so for that reason I'm more concerned... Since I hit 8k km since the last oil change, I think it's time to get it done.

Another question, do you guys notice every few months the coolant drops a bit not too much but would need a topping? Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for the replies. I feel the same way as Germany cars are known for burning oil as they age. This not my first BMW but first turbo engine so for that reason I'm more concerned... Since I hit 8k km since the last oil change, I think it's time to get it done.

Another question, do you guys notice every few months the coolant drops a bit not too much but would need a topping? Is this normal?
Never had a coolant issue. 73k miles.

Just had coolant flushed yesterday. They pressure tested and said system was all good.

Did your car have the Customer Care Package done where they rebuilt the engine? Mine did. Just wondering if that is a pre-update symptom of the N63TU
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

No my car never had a customer care package done and I only have 56k km. The coolant is not really low and I never receive a notification to top it but as I've always been used to, every once in a while I check the oil levels as well as the coolant which I've been noticing twice that the level is slightly below the mark so I top it up. Again, I've always had similar issue in my previous BMWs which all had a V8 engines! If this is not normal I will get the dealer to check it as I still have the extend warranty on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
Never had a coolant issue. 73k miles.

Just had coolant flushed yesterday. They pressure tested and said system was all good.

Did your car have the Customer Care Package done where they rebuilt the engine? Mine did. Just wondering if that is a pre-update symptom of the N63TU
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #8
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:

No coolant issue for me. But mine only has just over 20k miles on it.

So I wouldn't expect many issues given the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #9
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
To the original question: A reasonable schedule is every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. With the pandemic, for me, my changes are going to be calendar based for sure. I have stuck to this schedule for every car I have owned for the last 15 years. I am very careful about break-in (if I am first owner) and my driving is a mix of highway and urban congestion, and I rarely, if ever, have had to add oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #10
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Always serviced my cars 2.5k miles before the light comes on. Sometimes in between new pollen filter and filter/oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 740i

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
I change oil every 7500 miles or 12 months. You will get many different answers but definitely change it sooner that recommended by BMW. Cheap insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'm going to change soon, I will not wait for the BMW alert! Oil changes are cheap compare to a problem with the engine!

Thanks for everyone's feedback...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjjklj View Post
I change oil every 7500 miles or 12 months. You will get many different answers but definitely change it sooner that recommended by BMW. Cheap insurance.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #13
dc5525
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 740i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
I only put 4,200 miles on my car during 2020 calendar year...but all those miles are city miles / short distance only thanks to Covid. Because of that I am def. getting the 12 month oil service vs. 10K miles. BMW Authorized Dealer here in Indianapolis offers oil service for $99 (6 cyl models) so no-brainer plus the usual warranty check inspection.

Last edited by dc5525; 01-27-2021 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0