BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #23
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

I saw 7 series and X7 in person. It’s gorgeous, very futuristic and once it’s in the wild, everything else will feel old. That’s why my next car won’t be M340i as I’ve been planning, it will be M440i GC or M3 with the new design language. I’m hoping G30 LCI will adopt the same design language, so that could be an option as well.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #24
DMAX745i
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E65, F01, F01, now G12

B7 is the Beauty and the Beast of BMW. What a beautiful machine. Exterior styling is gorgeous. 👌
bmr760139.00
      05-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #25
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Alpina always looks great.

The front of the 7er needed to make more of a statement but with the LCI the kidneys became comically large. Somehow the Alpina kind of pulls it off but the other models don't.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #26
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansell View Post
Love the hate about the grills. Some serious triggered, unhinged people. I wonder the percentage of them are actually ever in the market for a 7er. Lol.
I've seen a lot of trolling online, but nothing "unhinged."

Many of the commentators here could be in the market for a 7-series one day, so that's not a very strong argument.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansell View Post
Love the hate about the grills. Some serious triggered, unhinged people. I wonder the percentage of them are actually ever in the market for a 7er. Lol.
I've seen a lot of trolling online, but nothing "unhinged."

Many of the commentators here could be in the market for a 7-series one day, so that's not a very strong argument.
Good point
I think the latest big grille designs are appalling and I'm no troll. I love BMW. I've had several 3's, a 4 and several 5's. I will continue to buy BMW but might skip this latest generation and hang onto my RWD 440i with MPPSK for some time to come. It's swift and pretty - just like a BMW should be
      05-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #28
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Updated 1st post to add video of 745Le / 745e xDrive iPerformance plug-in hybrid in Msport with BMW Individual interior.
Previous: 2016 F80 ///M3; 2013 F10 535i MSport; 2012 F10 528i MSport; 2009 E92 335i MSport
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #29
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

I do like how it looks.

I also wonder how many people who dislike the new look are actually in the market to buy one.

Certainly, it's possible for someone to be in the market and dislike the LCI, no question about it.

And even if someone can't afford a 7, they're still entitled to their opinion on the new one, without it being called "trolling".

That being said, I do think a lot of people like to speculate about what they would do if they had the money, but they don't. You see a lot of "I'll take an S-Class". No you won't, you can't afford it. You won't be taking anything.

If you actually have the money, I would wager your tastes are more inclined towards the design of the LCI, because it looks more imposing, substantial, and expensive. People who spend lots of money on cars generally want it to look like they did.

Not to say the reverse can't be true, but it's less common.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #30
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 750i G12 M Sport, '12 528i

I've previously owned a 2005 X3, 2013 X3 M Sport and currently own a 2012 528i and a 2016 750i M Sport. By far, my favorite grille of them all is my 750i, but these new grilles on the 2020 are unfortunately hideous. The fact that the top is fake, just to make it climb up on the hood makes it even worse. I'm not sure it would stop me from buying it, but I would definitely hate the fact that it is there... especially when knowing that most people will also think it looks ridiculous.

My wife had a 2008 Acura MDX and loved it, when the next model came out the grille was horrible and the butt of a lot of jokes. We still bought it just because she loved everything else about it, but we still regretted the fact that Acura chose that design.

So I feel like this is the similar, people may buy it because of everything else, but they probably will either regret the looks themselves... or the fact that most people will think it looks bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #31
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep

Everyone has their opinion, but I disagree.

I think more people like how it looks. They like its more imposing character and they like how it looks proud, arrogant, and expensive. People buying this class of car generally aren't looking for sporty or understated. Maybe they'll gravitate towards one side or the other, but almost always variations on a theme, that theme being large, imposing, and expensive.

It's the same reason Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Bentley, and Rolls-Royce put huge grills on their cars (only the flagships in the case of the first three). The 7 had by far the smallest nose of any of them, until this refresh.

It's clear the 7 is trying to pull cues from Rolls-Royce, as well it should. It has more in common with that car and class of customer than it does with a 3.

My read of the opinion of others might be skewed because I like how it looks, but A: there's a reason the competition has big grills B: BMW has data on this and made the change for a reason, and C: it's a 7, not a 2, it's the large and in charge boss and needs to look the part.

Unrelated, are these emoji from 2002 or something? For God's sake, they're called "smilies".
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #32
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
Everyone has their opinion, but I disagree.

I think more people like how it looks. They like its more imposing character and they like how it looks proud, arrogant, and expensive. People buying this class of car generally aren't looking for sporty or understated. Maybe they'll gravitate towards one side or the other, but almost always variations on a theme, that theme being large, imposing, and expensive.

It's the same reason Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Bentley, and Rolls-Royce put huge grills on their cars (only the flagships in the case of the first three). The 7 had by far the smallest nose of any of them, until this refresh.

It's clear the 7 is trying to pull cues from Rolls-Royce, as well it should. It has more in common with that car and class of customer than it does with a 3.

My read of the opinion of others might be skewed because I like how it looks, but A: there's a reason the competition has big grills B: BMW has data on this and made the change for a reason, and C: it's a 7, not a 2, it's the large and in charge boss and needs to look the part.

Unrelated, are these emoji from 2002 or something? For God's sake, they're called "smilies".
Have you seen it in person? When I first saw photos, they didn't bother me too much, but last week I saw a 2020 and as noted elsewhere the grill sort of folds up on the hood to make it look even larger. It is purely cosmetic and it looks pasted on rather than an integral part of the car. As I have also noted this will not stop me from getting one later this year as a car is more than its grille. I agree with you on the size issue by the way; my issue is not size. I just don't like how the grill is slapped on to the hood.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 11:21 PM   #33
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep

Yes.

My current car on the left, with its closest LCI equivalent on the right.

Mine looks fine, maybe even has an understated elegance to it.

But the new one looks much more impressive coming down the road. It turns heads and makes people look a second time, to wonder who is driving or being driven in it.

To this day, I still get that feeling when I see an S-Class, and this new 7 catches up to that on-road presence.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13651.00
      05-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #34
ElGreGoBMW
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Serie 4GC Xdrive 430

Quote:
Yes.

But the new one looks much more impressive coming down the road. It turns heads and makes people look a second time, to wonder who is driving or being driven in it.

To this day, I still get that feeling when I see an S-Class, and this new 7 catches up to that on-road presence.
I agree because the current 7 looks very much like 5. Look twice to see that it is a 7! Same thing for the 5! On the other hand LCI has much more presence !!!!
      05-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #35
ElGreGoBMW
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGreGoBMW View Post
Quote:
Yes.

I agree because the current 7 looks very much like 5. Look twice to see that it is a 7! Same thing for the 5! On the other hand LCI has much more presence !!!!
We see directly that's a 7 who's coming now
      05-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #36
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Yes.

EXACTLY!
      12-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #37
ElGreGoBMW
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.

We see directly that's a 7
      01-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #38
RoLy3
Rep
Drives: BMW M Roadster,740i,Tesla 3SP

Quote:
Don't worry, they will slap that big schnoz on the 5 soon enough, and the 3, 2 & etc. Funny how BMW, Audi and MB strive to make all their models look like progressions in size of the same design. Lexus takes the prize for the most hideous grill; that one is so bad I couldn't stand to look at it in my garage!
Appreciate 0