BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
ronners
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d

The wait is over - She is ready for collection tomorrow

My 740d m sport x drive in ruby black is ready to be collected tomorrow. I ordered in May taking advantage of the big dealer deposit contribution and 0% finance.

Looking forward to some relaxing cruising and getting to know my car. I am a “owners manual” reader. So I will be trying to work out how everything works and try not to get myself too frustrated by the options I left off the car (I really fancied the B&W stereo, but couldn’t justify it).

Any tips from existing owners of things to look out for when collecting her? I haven’t been told about any run in period, etc..Dealer is pushing Guardx, tyre insurance, alloy insurance.... not going to bother with any of this. Their GAP insurance quote is double many of the online providers, in too minds about Gap, needed to use it many years ago and was thankful for having it. At around £450 for 4 years (£50k cover), it is peace of mind.

Will post a few photos, eventually!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronners View Post
My 740d m sport x drive in ruby black is ready to be collected tomorrow. I ordered in May taking advantage of the big dealer deposit contribution and 0% finance.

Looking forward to some relaxing cruising and getting to know my car. I am a “owners manual” reader. So I will be trying to work out how everything works and try not to get myself too frustrated by the options I left off the car (I really fancied the B&W stereo, but couldn’t justify it).

Any tips from existing owners of things to look out for when collecting her? I haven’t been told about any run in period, etc..Dealer is pushing Guardx, tyre insurance, alloy insurance.... not going to bother with any of this. Their GAP insurance quote is double many of the online providers, in too minds about Gap, needed to use it many years ago and was thankful for having it. At around £450 for 4 years (£50k cover), it is peace of mind.

Will post a few photos, eventually!
Good choice. I was about to order the same (also coming out of a 535d) when I got seduced by a 750 during a test drive that was supposed to be just about experiencing Executive Drive Pro!

Definately get GAP insurance on line and look out for discount codes.

If you like reading a manual, download the BMW Drivers Guide app. When you know the chassis number, as it refines the manual so it only shows the options you have and includes the videos etc. I’ve spent a fair bit of time browsing that app.....!

Enjoy the car when it arrives and share pics!

Last edited by Martin2C; 07-24-2018 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Nice car, welcome to the G series 7, a lovely car and spec you've chosen. You'll love it. The bigger diesel and all wheel drive will make that a very fun drive and practical to boot!

Only a few points to note:

As Martin2C noted, GAP insurance on this spec and price of car is quite a smart thing to do, they depreciate quickly and then hold value later on, so I'd highly recommend it. I'd also suggest just getting GAP insurance online with the best provider for the needs you have. We managed to find GAP insurance for roughly half what BMW offered and it also included alloy insurance as well and was from the same underwriter that BMW use. (maybe typing in BMW GAP insurance in google will help?)

As to running in period: I'd strongly suggest following the guidelines in the manuals if you plan on having it for a long time or being kind to future owners! The guidelines in the manuals tend to be not exceeding 3500 rpm (and/or 93 mph) for the first 1200 miles. Avoid kick down mode, don't use launch control where applicable. Avoid full loads where possible in that period.

After that gradually increase and enjoy!

The most up to date info will be in your VIN specific manual under driving hints | driving precautions

The usual bit about checking that everything works as expected in the first day or two (buttons, movement, features, etc..) by trying it out applies to ensure nothing is amiss (shouldn't be but just to be sure).

If you've not had them before ACC and Driving Assistant packages (if you've taken them) take some getting used to, do be sure to try them out when the driving situation is not too hectic at first or you may get surprises. Also, do remember that the car is very large, so although the steering and feel is very compact still (like a 5 series) the car is bigger and longer and especially when reversing for the first few weeks, do remember that the sensors can be quite slow to respond and you may be going quicker than the camera or sensors tell you (regarding distance or impact with objects nearby)...so go very slow at the beginning with the reversing and then get used to it before being more 'sporty' or you'll soon find out just how quick you can overshoot the sensors...

Any questions you have after picking up the beast, please do post and I'm sure we'll be able to answer for you.

Enjoy! Please do post some pics of the new car...love to see what others have spec'd and enjoy a bit of that 'new car' feel virtually!

Safe travels.
      08-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #4
ronners
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d

A few snaps of my new motor.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ando2000.50
      08-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Congrats! I wished we had 0% financing. The best I could get was 1.9% in June.
      08-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Sjoerd
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: MY18 G11 750i, MY13 911S x51m7

Nice spec!

I picked up my car 2 weeks ago and had to go to Australia the weekend after. For the first time in my life I have read the manual. Just too much tech that you need to find out.

In Holland BMW works with 'Genius'; staff that should know all about the car and explain it. I will try to see him/her in the next weeks as I still don't understand all...
      08-14-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Congrats. Enjoy in good health..
Appreciate 0