BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-04-2015, 12:26 AM   #45
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
Such a waste of $. Would prefer BMW would focus more on design than stupid stuff like this.
The cost to do this is a drop in the bucket for BMW, and gives the 7 series a unique feature. This is a luxury car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Seriously. Some smells, however slight, can send people (and passengers) over the edge.

The last thing I need is a passenger puking at the artificial smell of my new 7 into the countless vent holes in my seats.

Turning on the seat ventilation will then be a complex scent of this woman's idea of a luxo barge fragrance, benzene, and whatever partially digested chunks that sifted inside the damn seat.
I'm pretty sure it was her entire job to sort all of that out.
Not unique. Mercedes does this with the S-class already.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 03:20 AM   #46
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:
Quote:
Such a waste of $. Would prefer BMW would focus more on design than stupid stuff like this.
The cost to do this is a drop in the bucket for BMW, and gives the 7 series a unique feature. This is a luxury car.

Quote:
Seriously. Some smells, however slight, can send people (and passengers) over the edge.

The last thing I need is a passenger puking at the artificial smell of my new 7 into the countless vent holes in my seats.

Turning on the seat ventilation will then be a complex scent of this woman's idea of a luxo barge fragrance, benzene, and whatever partially digested chunks that sifted inside the damn seat.
Mercedes does not have her uniquely designed smells. They are of her own design masterpieces.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 03:46 AM   #47
YoungOG08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540XI

Scheme... :
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #48
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

A typical car interior off-gases around 300 chemicals, yielding that car smell. This is especially noticeable in newly manufactured automobiles.

More than half these chemicals are volatile organic compounds. Well known VOCs metabolize in our bodies like cancer causing agents, ie benzene

My thesis was on this exact topic, focusing on formaldehyde. This new scent is a neat concept that will sell to the ones lacking this education and awareness few have. Being isolated in a car with this added chemical exposer in a concentrated environment is not something I want to be in.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 05:40 AM   #49
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Mercedes does not have her uniquely designed smells. They are of her own design masterpieces.

If memory serves me correct, she worked with House of Creed who manufactures the scents. Anyone who appreciates fine fragrances will understand the significance of this. Having experienced this first hand in the 7er as well as Mercedes, I can safely say regardless of the novelty factor, BMW does it better. It's very subtle and suiting of the brand, car, and their characteristics. The MB system is quite strong and overpowering. Reminds me of Febreeze.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #50
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M Power View Post
Mercedes implemented this with the W222. It's not unique to the 7.
And Mercedes copied it from Citroen who introduced a similar feature in the C4 Compact Car.
      07-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #51
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Meanwhile, in the ///M Division.......
+1
Helloo!?
      07-04-2015, 07:49 AM   #52
4er_Meister
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 ///M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS

Lmfaooo
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 07:54 AM   #53
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

... And before Citroën there were auto manufacturers making scents to keep occupants awake at night (before haptic steering wheel and gesture control)

Meanwhile at the M Division they are working on an AWD system that doesn't smell or look like Quattro but most likely works in a similar fashion just a little more back end biased
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #54
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murch
...Meanwhile at the M Division they are working on an AWD system that doesn't smell or look like Quattro but most likely works in a similar fashion just a little more back end biased
:

xDrive rules over Quattro !!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #55
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Meanwhile, in the ///M Division.......
<<crickets>>????
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #56
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
:

Um, no.

But............BMW rules over Audi
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #57
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Always wanted my auto to smell like a bottle of cologne..make mine the "Old Spice" edition.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #58
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
:

Um, no.

Um no what?

Clearly.......You have no idea !
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #59
Thurman Murch
Lieutenant
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: M3

Then BMW comes up with a new sound mark... And now everyone is doing it

I want to smell rich mahogany, the alpine breeze, Sicilian bergamot, Scandinavian fjords and definitely young French hotness all wrapped into a soothing and adrenaline pulsating scent depending on the driving mode
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 12:26 PM   #60
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Think BMW can get some real synergies here and sell colognes that make you smell like a new car.

"Eau de Dakota Leather"
"Pafum de Soft-Touch Plastique"
"Musk de Smokey Burnout"

You can be more connected to your car than ever before!

In all seriousness, would be nice to create scents that actually help your car retain the "new car smell" for years to come.
Appreciate 2
      07-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #61
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
A typical car interior off-gases around 300 chemicals, yielding that car smell. This is especially noticeable in newly manufactured automobiles.

More than half these chemicals are volatile organic compounds. Well known VOCs metabolize in our bodies like cancer causing agents, ie benzene

My thesis was on this exact topic, focusing on formaldehyde. This new scent is a neat concept that will sell to the ones lacking this education and awareness few have. Being isolated in a car with this added chemical exposer in a concentrated environment is not something I want to be in.
You mention the lack of education, but first you should know what you're talking about but sitting high on your throne. This is a perfume/cologne for the car. This video is not talking about the gasses caused by chemicals in the plastics-something BMW has already reduced and remedied years ago. This video is talking about an interchangeable fragrance. Are you now saying that your thesis was about perfume being toxic?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #62
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar
Quote:

You mention the lack of education, but first you should know what you're talking about but sitting high on your throne. This is a perfume/cologne for the car. This video is not talking about the gasses caused by chemicals in the plastics-something BMW has already reduced and remedied years ago. This video is talking about an interchangeable fragrance. Are you now saying that your thesis was about perfume being toxic?
Know your roll and shut your mouth.

Fragrances contain VOCs such as formaldehyde, the same agent found in the adhesives used to piece together a typical car interior. That's just one example. And that's classified by regulatory agencies as a known human carcinogen.

I didn't know my post would hurt your pickle that bad jaguar. I can't put into words how truly sorry I am. You are right, I need to know what I'm talking about next time I take the throne. If you are reading this, it's not to late to forgive me.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #63
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3
Think BMW can get some real synergies here and sell colognes that make you smell like a new car.

"Eau de Dakota Leather"
"Pafum de Soft-Touch Plastique"
"Musk de Smokey Burnout"

You can be more connected to your car than ever before!

In all seriousness, would be nice to create scents that actually help your car retain the "new car smell" for years to come.
The 1st one on your list...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #64
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Know your roll and shut your mouth.

Fragrances contain VOCs such as formaldehyde, the same agent found in the adhesives used to piece together a typical car interior. That's just one example. And that's classified by regulatory agencies as a known human carcinogen.

I didn't know my post would hurt your pickle that bad jaguar. I can't put into words how truly sorry I am. You are right, I need to know what I'm talking about next time I take the throne. If you are reading this, it's not to late to forgive me.
Relax, take a deep breathe and relax.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #65
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Um, no.

I never understood the Quattro hype. I think it is easily the worst AWD system from the big german companies. Porsche's All wheel drive, MB 4Matic and xDrive are all better in my opinion. There seems to be a lot of marketing around quattro, but it isn't any good. The last gen X6M had a lot more grip than the Q5 I drove. Actually, I didnt test offroad, but during rainfall and snow the Q5s front axle washed wide too often and sometimes I was caught in multiple dangerous situations on snow in the 2 days I had it. The X6 seemed alot more stable. You could argue that the tyres are most important, but my X6 tyres were terrible, so I guess the rentacar Q5 must have had better tyres.
To get back to the marketing point, I have a feeling that Audi and MB market more than BMW. In germany, a couple of arenas and stadiums are completely sponsored by MB and audi, whereas I guess the BMW money is invested in the cars, not the brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #66
Jashley73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6-M/T

Quote:

That's why you use the key-fob and roll down the windows BEFORE you get in...
Appreciate 0