BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-23-2022, 12:11 AM   #1
Byorumez
Rep
Drives: Bmw g12

Help!! Looking for mods

Hey guys. I have a 2017 740xi. I want to do some mods. Anyone that has and has recommendations please help.

Air filter?
Tuning?
Resetting adaptive trans?
Straight pipes
Down pipe without cat?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 12:08 AM   #2
golobulus5
Rep
Drives: 740ix, TTRS, E55

You can go on b58 enthusiast facebook group to learn a lot more. There's really only a few mods that do anything. Downpipe, tune, HPFP and trans tune. You can also upgrade the turbo and make some serious power and add port injection on top of that.

Downpipes you can get anyone you want, they are basically all the same. I got a cheap 1 for 300 and has worked great. Tunes, most people use BM3 or MHD. HPFP people get the supra TU pump or go dorch. Trans tune people use xhp.

My car with catless downpipe, tu hpfp, xhp and mhd e40 tune ran a 11.9 @ 118 on the street. It was with car seats and a stroller in the car during a 70 degree day. So that's the basics.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #3
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Why would a (presumably higher pressure) fuel pump make a difference? Doesn't the computer regulate the pressure anyway? That's rhetorical, no need to answer.

Not directed at the OP, but I remember years ago... I was at an autocross with my 280Z (yes, I'm that old) and a Datsun mechanic was there with his very tricked-out Z car, just killing it. I asked him what I should do to make my car faster.

He said "sell it and buy a turbo [Z]". LOL, I didn't buy the turbo, but I did save my money and left the car stock.

As to the OP: I suggest that an air filter and CAI is a waste of money. Real stuff like bigger turbos and a tune is where you'll get real results.

Or buy a 750.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
golobulus5
Rep
Drives: 740ix, TTRS, E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Why would a (presumably higher pressure) fuel pump make a difference? Doesn't the computer regulate the pressure anyway? That's rhetorical, no need to answer.

Not directed at the OP, but I remember years ago... I was at an autocross with my 280Z (yes, I'm that old) and a Datsun mechanic was there with his very tricked-out Z car, just killing it. I asked him what I should do to make my car faster.

He said "sell it and buy a turbo [Z]". LOL, I didn't buy the turbo, but I did save my money and left the car stock.

As to the OP: I suggest that an air filter and CAI is a waste of money. Real stuff like bigger turbos and a tune is where you'll get real results.

Or buy a 750.
Stock hpfp doesn't flow enough fuel. I agree with your thinking if the B58 didn't have a good modification path, but it does. I could have got a 50 over a 40 but the 50 seems to have very questionable reliability. I didn't want to deal with that. B58 is pretty reliable between 6-700whp and somewhat inexpensive to get there. Its around 300lbs lighter too.

Bigger turbo and tune is definitely the way ahead if keeping the b58.
Appreciate 0