BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

08-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #23
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (Phytonic Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylonsays View Post
Another example of why BMW enthusiasts are walking away from the brand. This new design language will wear off quickly- it's a mess
Walking away? To what? Audi or Benz? ROFL 😂 Even if the original enthusiasts are walking away, it's Okay… BMW is making many more new enthusiasts in the new generation.

Let's not forget BMW is in the business of making money and as others have mentioned, they understand the target audience very well. Their sales numbers also reflect that. Unless you have a chef cooking for you in your second kitchen, you my friend, are not the target audience. Personally, I am not a fan of the design either.

Current: 2021 BMW X3 M40i (Phytonic Blue)
Sold: 2017 BMW X3 28i (Deep Sea Blue) | 2011 BMW 328i E90 (LeMans Blue) | 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T (Silver Metallic) | 2005 Scion tC (Indigo Ink Pearl)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:47 AM   #24
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorenWerkeN52 View Post
Quote:
Another example of why BMW enthusiasts are walking away from the brand. This new design language will wear off quickly- it's a mess
Walking away? To what? Audi or Benz? ROFL 😂 Even if the original enthusiasts are walking away, it's Okay… BMW is making many more new enthusiasts in the new generation.

Let's not forget BMW is in the business of making money and as others have mentioned, they understand the target audience very well. Their sales numbers also reflect that. Unless you have a chef cooking for you in your second kitchen, you my friend, are not the target audience. Personally, I am not a fan of the design either.
People who have a second kitchen in their home, and private chef aren't buying a BMW 7 Series., they buy Bentleys and Rolls. The Taycan I have on order is more expensive than the i7 and upper middle class buys that with no problem. I personally like everything except the front end of the new 7, but that is enough to keep me away from it.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #25
MotorenWerkeN52
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (Phytonic Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Quote:

People who have a second kitchen in their home, and private chef aren't buying a BMW 7 Series., they buy Bentleys and Rolls. The Taycan I have on order is more expensive than the i7 and upper middle class buys that with no problem. I personally like everything except the front end of the new 7, but that is enough to keep me away from it.
Agreed for the US, in the rest of the world, not so much.

Current: 2021 BMW X3 M40i (Phytonic Blue)
Sold: 2017 BMW X3 28i (Deep Sea Blue) | 2011 BMW 328i E90 (LeMans Blue) | 2007 Saab 9-3 2.0T (Silver Metallic) | 2005 Scion tC (Indigo Ink Pearl)
Appreciate 2
TXSchnee1280.00
Vervain396.50
      08-17-2022, 10:33 PM   #26
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

True on that front regarding the people who have private chefs, for the most part. I know a guy who hires private chefs, and he has a Maybach; so maybe the people who have them full time on the payroll are the next level up.

But just because a Taycan costs as much as or more than a 7, doesn’t mean it’s the same kind of car.

The 7 is aiming for imposing stateliness, the Taycan is aiming for elegant aggression.

I’m really surprised you were seriously cross-shopping or considering both of those cars, and if you were, it was the design language that made your decision, not the 1,000 other ways in which they’re completely different vehicles with different mission statements.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:50 PM   #27
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Rear of the car kinda looks like a 2000 Honda prelude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Here's an Oxide Grey i7 xDrive60 M Sport on display at BMW Welt.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 11:21 PM   #28
M3 boi
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
You guys are so behind-

Purpose of the large grills and ugly front is to scare the bugs so they don't hit the grill. :-)
Genius!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 10:17 AM   #29
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
True on that front regarding the people who have private chefs, for the most part. I know a guy who hires private chefs, and he has a Maybach; so maybe the people who have them full time on the payroll are the next level up.

But just because a Taycan costs as much as or more than a 7, doesn’t mean it’s the same kind of car.

The 7 is aiming for imposing stateliness, the Taycan is aiming for elegant aggression.

I’m really surprised you were seriously cross-shopping or considering both of those cars, and if you were, it was the design language that made your decision, not the 1,000 other ways in which they’re completely different vehicles with different mission statements.
I was not cross shopping them, although on paper they are similar, 4 door BEV, 400-600hp. My point was that people in the US, who are extremely wealthy aren't buying 7 Series, they (and the Taycan) are easily obtainable to upper middle class earners, and most of us don't have a show kitchen and a working kitchen in our homes.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #30
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

I would agree with that.

Perhaps BMW was being aspirational with the analogy, but they’ve talked about it before and the concept is sound. True headlights have regulations and functional requirements which limits their aesthetic appeal, making it desirable to hide them (like the commercial kitchen); but DRLs are just decorative and you want to display them (like a show kitchen), so separating them has its advantages.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #31
a.dobi
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Dope
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:40 PM   #32
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Taycan is prettier but- this i7 is more luxurious. While it's an EV competitor for now- once we have more electric cars- few will cross shop this.

Curious of your thoughts on Lucid? Maybe the compromise?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:07 PM   #33
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Taycan is prettier but- this i7 is more luxurious. While it's an EV competitor for now- once we have more electric cars- few will cross shop this.

I had a deposit down for a Lucid Air Grand Touring, when they called to process my order, I backed out. Wasn't expecting 4 days from deposit to order, and there aren't any showrooms or service centers in ATX at this point. Also, flipped to V200 on my Taycan, and since both were $140k, went with the Porsche. The Lucid is an amazing vehicle, I think nicer looking than the new i7, and the range is excellent, probably will make it with all the Saudi money backing them. All that said, I think legacy makes are a better choice for the next few years.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 06:12 AM   #34
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had a deposit down for a Lucid Air Grand Touring, when they called to process my order, I backed out. Wasn't expecting 4 days from deposit to order, and there aren't any showrooms or service centers in ATX at this point. Also, flipped to V200 on my Taycan, and since both were $140k, went with the Porsche. The Lucid is an amazing vehicle, I think nicer looking than the new i7, and the range is excellent, probably will make it with all the Saudi money backing them. All that said, I think legacy makes are a better choice for the next few years.
I was extremely impressed with the build quality of the Taycan. I had a base RWD and it felt quick. If you got a Turbo - congrats.

The lack of dealer or store confidence on these EV's is key. I have friends with Tesla problems and nothing really can get escalated and they wait out problems.

Porsche will have you in a sweet rental while they work on their cars. No drama. Good decision given the choices.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 08:10 PM   #35
RonBillz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 bmw 750i

& series

Name:  IMG_3250.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  637.4 KB

I just bought a 7 series and I love the 22 and I think it's going to retain value compared to the looks of the 23 and beyond. The 22 are just so much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 08:54 PM   #36
RonBillz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 bmw 750i

Shipping

Has anyone used a good car shipping company? I got a quote from a company National Car Shipping to ship my 7 series from Fort Lauderdale FL to Chicago for $1395 open hauler or $1895 enclosed. They seem solid and had 5 star reviews online, any suggestions? https://longdistancetowing.com/nationwide/florida/
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 02:12 AM   #37
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBillz View Post
Has anyone used a good car shipping company? I got a quote from a company National Car Shipping to ship my 7 series from Fort Lauderdale FL to Chicago for $1395 open hauler or $1895 enclosed. They seem solid and had 5 star reviews online, any suggestions? https://longdistancetowing.com/nationwide/florida/
bearstransport.com

They are based north of Chicago and I just had a car in an enclosed trailer sent from Tampa to Wisconsin for $1695....they have lots of great reviews from the Porsche forums, too.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0